Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU SUCESS!!

tag
Credit4Growth
Senior Contributor

Re: NFCU SUCESS!!

@SFLSpotter9210 wrote:

Congratulations on your membership with NFCU. Truthfully without anyone knowing your history it's anyone's guess. If you do some research on here you'll see some new members with impeccable history got low starting limits it's just how they work. I had a relatively good history and my first card started out at 1K. They are a relationship based CU and once they get to know you the skies the limit. I've been with them since September 2019 and my TCL witht them now is 65,500. Good luck with whatever you decide.

+ 100%

I had a very thin file and an unpaid charge off when I joined Navy as well as when I apped for both the Flagship May 2019 and the Platinum in August 2019.   Uh, not so thin by the time of the Platinum app.   More importantly, IMHO, my DTI was less than 1% and I had 2 other products with Navy for 8.5 months before I applied for the first credit card with them. 

I did not think it would have been enough of a relationship but Navy thought so in addition to my credit profile, thus I received a healthy starting limit.  In a nutshell I took the course of action that made sense to me after reading much of the following thread.

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/Navy-Federal-Thread-for-CLI-and-Additional...

I am not saying you have read that.  For me, I was just rebuilding my credit n a way that worked for me.

Again, best of luck!

Message 11 of 23
cashorcharge
Community Leader
Super Contributor

That's terrific! Congratulations on your membership approval!! 🎉🥂

Message 12 of 23
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous    Congrats you can ask for CashRewards or Plat or More Rewards depending on which one you are ok with slow growing.    The second card you go for should be the one that you really want the higher on since a lot of DP suggest the Second card will be the bigger one/better one.     Don't be shocked if they start you at a 500/1k SL even if you have large other cards SL.     It will grow with them but they are relationship based too!      Read up on the 91/3 for when to ask for a CLI and the rules around it to make sure that you can possibly get a SP and you don't ask to soon.     As far as which one which one would work better for you?!    Are you more of a dining out...do you like low apr, do you like Cash back?!     Those type of things would affect which one and then I would either try for the Flagship second, or third for sure.

Message 13 of 23
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Senior Contributor

Welcome to the Navy gang! 

You've already received some good advice. Definitely check-out the massive Navy thread in the credit card apps sub-forum.

NFCU More Rewards 28K CL
NFCU Cash Rewards 16K CL
Citi Custom Cash 7.5K CL
AODFCU Visa Sig 5K CL
Discover IT 2.5K CL
Capital One QS 3600 CL
Message 14 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the membership! I also just recently joined. I was told I pre-qualified for everything. My scores are in the mid 700s and I just recently got a car and the Apple Card. I app'ed for the plat card for low apr. I got a 1k starter limit.. which hasn't happened in some time. But I plan to slow grow and use the account as long term goal is to buy a house and use nfcu for the mortgage loan. IMO I just took the jump to start building the relationship now and then do a 91/3 approach for card number two. Hope that helps!

Message 15 of 23
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Just became a member of NFCU!!! 🙂

It also looks like I am prequalified for all of there cards.  Wanted to ask y'all which one I should start off with as a brand new member.   Also, after that what is the best way to increase the CLI? All thoughts welcome.  From what I've seen the flagship seems like a long shot for a new member

Welcome to the NFCU familySmiley Happy

Message 16 of 23
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous     Congrats to you as well.     They are great!

Message 17 of 23
lyTENciL
Regular Contributor

Congrats on Navy membership! They have a ton of great products besides CC. I did get the mega 25K SL on my first card (More Rewards). I waited until around the 6 mo mark, and I had DD, SSL, and CD along with checking and savings. I don't know that the banking affects the CC though. Also I was at 2/12, and 8 months since last opened, and FICO 8 maxed. So it's going to be profile dependent, as everything is.

FICO (12/22): EX8 838. TU8 826. EQ9 837.
Profile: Clean/thick/aged/new. Revolvers: 7 open, 1 closed. 1 Install.
AoOA/RA 20y. AAoA 4.5y. AoYA/RA 6m. TCL $128.3K.
Message 18 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats!

Message 19 of 23
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Credit4Growth wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Great.  Thank you all.  I just became a member today.  Should I hold off on the app for the card or can I go ahead and submit since I am prequalified.  I did hear pre-qualifying are not guaranteed.  Thoughts welcome 

Oh... the pre-qualifying portion of the site...

It is garbage. 

Let me attempt to lightly qualify my response.

If you are approved for a cc today, you may also be pre-qualifying or another (or several) tomorrow.  Navy will not approve a second application for a cc within 90 days.  

That is not saying to mmuch as far as qualifying my response but for now the take away is that  the pre-qualifying portion of their website is viewed as La' Trash!

As far as applying today that is mainly personal preference and you know the contents of your credit report best.

Yes, the prequalification page is garbage.

It has me as prequalified for everything, even the 2 cards I already have.

I guarantee they wouldn't approve me for any of the cards at the moment.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.