cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU and Penfed

Auto Loans for ANY Credit Situation. Immediate Response.
Advertiser disclosure
Valued Member

NFCU and Penfed

Its my first post here and reading most of the threads and learning the a lot from you guys.

Do I have to be a NFCU or Penfed member to apply a credit card ? I dont have any military afflitiation for NFCU and should i still apply for it ? I have seen a lot of threads with approvals and just curious about it ? 

Thanks

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

Re: NFCU and Penfed

Yes you have to be a member.

NFCU you need military connection no way around that.

Penfed you can join by becoming a member of one of their organizations.

EXP 760 TU 781 EQ 733
Message 2 of 5
Valued Member

Thanks for the reply. 

NFCU is no go for me then because I dont have any military connection.

What about Penfed without any organization ? Should I still apply for it ? If yes, do they do hard pull for becoming a member ?

Message 3 of 5
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

@allegra37 wrote:

Thanks for the reply. 

NFCU is no go for me then because I dont have any military connection.

What about Penfed without any organization ? Should I still apply for it ? If yes, do they do hard pull for becoming a member ?

You have to join one of their affiliates or you don't get a membership. Expect a HP for membership and sometimes for credit card application

EXP 760 TU 781 EQ 733
Message 4 of 5

Penfed gives you the option to join an organization when you're submitting your app. It costs $20 or something; you pay it and you're a member for life.

For NFCU, be aware that military service includes your grandparents. My grandpa served in WWII and died just before I was born. His records -- I tried to get them ages ago for genealogy purposes -- were lost in the 1973 fire, but he received a military funeral (my mom still flies his flag outside her house). I had no trouble at all opening an account over the phone using him as my military connection. Obviously I don't know your age, but it seems kind of unusual for people of my vintage (I'm a late X-er, born in 1976), unless their families have arrived in the country more recently, to not have a grandparent who served, whether in WWII or Korea.

05/01/18: EQ 000 / EX 000 / TU 000
06/01/19: EQ: 717 / EX: 671 / TU: 695
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.