Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU and Penfed

tag
allegra37
Valued Member

NFCU and Penfed

Its my first post here and reading most of the threads and learning the a lot from you guys.

Do I have to be a NFCU or Penfed member to apply a credit card ? I dont have any military afflitiation for NFCU and should i still apply for it ? I have seen a lot of threads with approvals and just curious about it ? 

Thanks

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: NFCU and Penfed

Yes you have to be a member.

NFCU you need military connection no way around that.

Penfed you can join by becoming a member of one of their organizations.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 2 of 5
allegra37
Valued Member

Thanks for the reply. 

NFCU is no go for me then because I dont have any military connection.

What about Penfed without any organization ? Should I still apply for it ? If yes, do they do hard pull for becoming a member ?

Message 3 of 5
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@allegra37 wrote:

Thanks for the reply. 

NFCU is no go for me then because I dont have any military connection.

What about Penfed without any organization ? Should I still apply for it ? If yes, do they do hard pull for becoming a member ?

You have to join one of their affiliates or you don't get a membership. Expect a HP for membership and sometimes for credit card application

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Penfed gives you the option to join an organization when you're submitting your app. It costs $20 or something; you pay it and you're a member for life.

For NFCU, be aware that military service includes your grandparents. My grandpa served in WWII and died just before I was born. His records -- I tried to get them ages ago for genealogy purposes -- were lost in the 1973 fire, but he received a military funeral (my mom still flies his flag outside her house). I had no trouble at all opening an account over the phone using him as my military connection. Obviously I don't know your age, but it seems kind of unusual for people of my vintage (I'm a late X-er, born in 1976), unless their families have arrived in the country more recently, to not have a grandparent who served, whether in WWII or Korea.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.