Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU cashRewards Denied

tag
brandon1767
Established Member

NFCU cashRewards Denied

Hey Everyone,

This is my first post on the forum, but I have been doing a lot of reading about NFCU. Decided to become a member of NFCU and apply for cashRewards. The system auto-denied me. Smiley Sad

I am a college student with a $14,000/year income. I have zero expenses and a good savings. I have had a Discover IT card ($1,500 limit) and Cap 1 Journey ($300 limit) for 3 months. I had 3 inquiries on my TU and a 688 TU vantage (no FICO's yet). I recon-ed through secure message right away and they said it will stay denied for credit reasons. Haven't recieved letter yet. 

Just curious what people think the issue was and when should I try applying again? I really want NFCU card. Probably slim history or no FICOs? Sucks, b/c I really wanted to get a start with Navy. 

Appreciate any thoughts,

Brandon

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I am AU on Syncrony card with $12,000 limit

Banking with: Ally Bank (Savings), NFCU (Credit), and US Bank (Biz and Personal Checking)
Started August 2018 (No Credit History)
FICO 8 (11/01/2021): EX 791, TU 800 | FICO 9 (11/01/2021): EQ 821
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NFCU cashRewards Denied

Wait until they send you the reason letter/email then you will know what you need to focus on. 

Message 2 of 17
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

I just think it’s because your two recent cards are only 2 mos old. Try again at the 6-month mark. If declined again, try at the 12-month mark.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Maybe but they just approved me with 3 new accounts.
Message 4 of 17
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Exactly.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 5 of 17
brandon1767
Established Member

Just spoke with a rep today and asked about what I could do. They recommended either the secured card or a credit builder loan to establish some history with them. I think the credit builder loan would help diversify my score, was thinking $501 for 12 months.

Saw the guide on this forum about a credit builder loan, does NFCU allow you to pay the loan down to 9% and still keep the loan for 12 months? Should I try both or just wait to reapply at a later time?

Banking with: Ally Bank (Savings), NFCU (Credit), and US Bank (Biz and Personal Checking)
Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes I have the NFCU SSL. Just reported this month to all but 2 of the bureaus so far. Yes, you have the right idea. Message me if you have any further questions. I'm happy to help! 

Message 7 of 17
spiritcraft1
Valued Contributor

Saw the guide on this forum about a credit builder loan, does NFCU allow you to pay the loan down to 9% and still keep the loan for 12 months? Should I try both or just wait to reapply at a later time?

Yes, absolutely, it works like a charm.  Pay it down right away.  It will report right after the 1st of the next month regardless of payment date. No pull either!  You also get 92% of your money back in a few days after paying it down.

The SSL would be great but if you could swing it, the secured would be excellent.  With just a thin file and no degrog's, I would imagine that graduates pretty quickly in your case.  The $500 (or whatever) IS locked up until it graduates or you close it however unlike the SSL.  If you do the math, $541.00 does both...  SSL first.

Biz |
Current F08 -
Current 2,4,5 -
Current F09 -
No PG Biz Credit in Order of Approval - Uline, Quill, Grainger, SupplyWorks, MSC, Amsterdam, Citi Tractor Supply Rev .8k, NewEgg Net 30 10k, Richelieu 2k, Wurth Supply 2k, Global Ind 2k, Sam's Club Store 11.k, Shell Fleet 19.5k, Citi Exxon 2.5k, Dell Biz Revolving $15k, B&H Photo, $5k

Message 8 of 17
brandon1767
Established Member

Exactly what I was thinking.

Do the SSL, pay it down, and then the secured. Is there anyway to get the secured without another hard pull or should I just apply again?

Message 9 of 17
spiritcraft1
Valued Contributor

@brandon1767 wrote:
Exactly what I was thinking.

Do the SSL, pay it down, and then the secured. Is there anyway to get the secured without another hard pull or should I just apply again?

The SSL will not be a hard pull, I never even saw a soft pull for either myself or Wife.  The secured card was a HP for me but that was 2 years ago.  YMMV, but I would guess yes.

Biz |
Current F08 -
Current 2,4,5 -
Current F09 -
No PG Biz Credit in Order of Approval - Uline, Quill, Grainger, SupplyWorks, MSC, Amsterdam, Citi Tractor Supply Rev .8k, NewEgg Net 30 10k, Richelieu 2k, Wurth Supply 2k, Global Ind 2k, Sam's Club Store 11.k, Shell Fleet 19.5k, Citi Exxon 2.5k, Dell Biz Revolving $15k, B&H Photo, $5k

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.