cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU denied my CLI after approving me for my 2nd card

tag
ericccccc

NFCU denied my CLI after approving me for my 2nd card

NFCU denied my CLI on the Go rewards($500) after approving me for $20000 for the more rewards card...

So now I have a card with $500 and another card with $20000 from the same bank

The limit cannot even be relocate between accounts.

What could have caused this?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Caesar89
Valued Member

Re: NFCU denied my CLI after approving me for my 2nd card

This is the same thing that happened to me. I was denied CLI as they stated, I reached my max but got approved for a 2nd card. Not really sure why NFCU does this. 

What are your scores and did you put income the same for both applications?

Message 2 of 9
Gunnerboy
Frequent Contributor

@ericccccc wrote:

NFCU denied my CLI on the Go rewards($500) after approving me for $20000 for the more rewards card...

It's likely, you're at your maximum exposure for unsecured credit.  Your maximum should increase over time.

"Not everyone who helps you is a friend, and not everyone who challenges you is an enemy."
Message 3 of 9
ericccccc

@Caesar89 wrote:

This is the same thing that happened to me. I was denied CLI as they stated, I reached my max but got approved for a 2nd card. Not really sure why NFCU does this. 

My fico scores are around 750, and my income is the same on both applications.
It would be nice if they could move some from my second card to my first one, but it seems they do not allow relocation from American Express to Visa/Mastercard. 

Message 4 of 9
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@ericccccc wrote:

@Caesar89 wrote:

My fico scores are around 750, and my income is the same on both applications.
It would be nice if they could move some from my second card to my first one, but it seems they do not allow relocation from American Express to Visa/Mastercard. 

Reallocations are done on a case-by-case basis, especially if they involve a balance transfer. How old is your first CC with NFCU? What was your credit profile like during that first approval?

Message 5 of 9
Jeffster1
Valued Contributor

IMHO, you should have either applied for the new card or the CLI. If they allocated the max they are willing to extend to you currently with the new card, a back-to-back CLI request was not likely to yield much, if anything.

FICO 8 (3/1/24) EX 805 EQ 824 TU 844
FICO 9 (2/17/24) EX 821 EQ 778TU 850
I practice AZEO - NEVER above 1% utilization across all cards.

Current lineup as of 9/23
American Express Gold | American Express Blue Cash Everyday 11K | American Express Blue Cash Preferred 10K I American Express Marriott Bonvoy Bevy 5K I American Express Hilton Honors Surpass 3K I Bank of America Customized Cash Rewards Visa 20K | Kinecta MyPerks Rewards MC 35K | TD Bank Double Up Visa 4K | USBank Platinum Visa 5K | BMO Harris Cash Back MasterCard 12K | Capital One SavorOne MC 3K | Capital One Walmart MC 2K | NFCU Amex 15K | NFCU CashRewards Visa 15K I Citi Best Buy Visa 10K I Macy’s Amex 1.5K I Bread Financial American Express 8K l AAA Daily Advantage Visa Signature 6K I Wells Fargo BILT World Elite MC 30K I BCU Cash Rewards Visa 8K I Chevron Techron Advantage Visa 2.5K I JCPenney Mastercard $6K I UCLA Wescom CU Rewards Visa 7K I
Message 6 of 9
SUPERSQUID
Valued Contributor

@Jeffster1 wrote:

IMHO, you should have either applied for the new card or the CLI. If they allocated the max they are willing to extend to you currently with the new card, a back-to-back CLI request was not likely to yield much, if anything.

I'm not sure if it might help. In april when my cash rewards 3700 cl was due for my first cli , i first applied for the platimum and was approved for only 1000, then right after i asked for a cli on my cash rewards and they raised it to 9700, a 6000 increase.

So in that case they approved a new card for only 1000 and then a few hours later approved a 6000 cli on the first card.

Both letters said max limit so i have a funny feeling they keep approvals and cli requests in different baskets. otherwise how could my max limit go up by 6000 in a few hours?

{ BK7 DC 12/2019 } target 1600/ kohls Visa 7000/ discover IT cb 6500 / 2nd discover IT cb 6000/mercury 4100 / firestone 2800 /legacy 3000 /first savings bank cc 3000/ cap1 QS 5000/ cap 1 savor one 3100 /Bread rewards Amex 4k, Penfed PCR signature visa 10k/ penfed gold 7.5k NFCU >signature visa cash rewards 21700/bread cashback amex 8000

>/ nfcu platinum 15k, BABY NEEDS NEW SHOES !!!!!
closed-- reflex, applied bank, first digital, mission lane, ikea, fingerhut, big lots, valero gasoline, ollo, more to come
Rebuilding since September 2020
who i burned - chase, cap 1, TD bank, Sync, were the biggies
Income 40k
Total utilization around 20 pct depending on my current usage/needs
Ficos in the 680 - 690 range, the 9's slightly higher than the 8's
My vantage scores 708 - 711
TCL - about 110k
Retired since 2017
Message 7 of 9
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Sounds like they gave you the max credit they're willing to give right now on the new card. Reallocation *may* be possible if doing a BT, though I don't know the exact rules about card ages.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 8 of 9
SUPERSQUID
Valued Contributor

@ericccccc wrote:

AAARRRGHHHH THE LANDLUBBER RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS DEBACKLE SHOULD BE HUNG FROM THE YARD ARMAAARRRGHHHH THE LANDLUBBER RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS DEBACKLE SHOULD BE HUNG FROM THE YARD ARM

{ BK7 DC 12/2019 } target 1600/ kohls Visa 7000/ discover IT cb 6500 / 2nd discover IT cb 6000/mercury 4100 / firestone 2800 /legacy 3000 /first savings bank cc 3000/ cap1 QS 5000/ cap 1 savor one 3100 /Bread rewards Amex 4k, Penfed PCR signature visa 10k/ penfed gold 7.5k NFCU >signature visa cash rewards 21700/bread cashback amex 8000

>/ nfcu platinum 15k, BABY NEEDS NEW SHOES !!!!!
closed-- reflex, applied bank, first digital, mission lane, ikea, fingerhut, big lots, valero gasoline, ollo, more to come
Rebuilding since September 2020
who i burned - chase, cap 1, TD bank, Sync, were the biggies
Income 40k
Total utilization around 20 pct depending on my current usage/needs
Ficos in the 680 - 690 range, the 9's slightly higher than the 8's
My vantage scores 708 - 711
TCL - about 110k
Retired since 2017
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.