Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU lied to me HPd me twice

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

NFCU lied to me HPd me twice

Went into my branch to do 2 things refinance my ridiculous sub prime auto loan, and apply for a credit card.
I asked the loan officer before anything if they pulled equifax (my highest score 719) she said yes, which I already knew from this forum (thank you)
Then I asked if it would be possible to avoid 2 HPs and apply for both the refi and CC off of my initial pull...

2 agents flat out told me, that yes it would only be pulled once, and that one pull is good for 30 days.
So boom we do the refi, and it instantly comes back and I'm approved for the lowest APR 4.99% for 48 months saving me $160 a month (great) payment was $531 at 20.99% now it's $371 a month...
So I'm feeling amazing hoping that I get my first big SL ever.. We pick the cash rewards card...she runs the application and my phone starts blowing up saying I have a new HP from........TU?? **bleep**

I probably wouldn't have even done it if I'd have known id get dinged twice, and I don't even have TU Fico 8 score yet Or an EX, they'll generate in about a month because I've only had activity since January.

my TU and EX fako scores are both significantly lower then my one generated F8 EQ score..my TU fako is a 648
Anyhow I'm pretty bummed out because I thought my one generrated f8 score was pretty good and I was hoping it would land me that first real substantial CC..I kinda have to work around that EQ score.
I kinda felt it would be denied, but I asked her and she said that it didn't get denied but that it was in review?
Does that mean I might have a chance for a CC still? Like they might look at My lack of TU score and they might look at my EQ and other factors?
It was the end of the day and they were kicking everyone out...so all she really told me that if was being reviewed.
Whats my next step? I dont even know what to do..
do I call NFCU? If so when? or just wait for them to contact me?

Anyone ever gone to review and still gotten a decent SL?

Thanks sorry for the novel
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: NFCU lied to me HPd me twice

Well AUTO and credit cards are 2 entirely different departments so I can see why they pulled 2 different reports ( and it's navy they luv to pull), but the CSRs should have known that?

I would just wait and see they will contact you by text or email if you are approved. Good luck

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 2 of 9
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

NFCU pulls TU for new card apps, everything else is EQ. In my case it was the opposite. They pulled EQ for my new card and TU for auto loan. They'll only re-use a pull if it's in the same department. So, you could have asked for a CLOC and reused the auto pull, but it's not guaranteed. They pulled twice for me.

As for the review, they may pull EQ again since they don't re-use the score from auto. Or, they'll pull vantagescore because it generates a score in 3 months.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

CLOC?..hmm usually good w deciphering...credit limit._._?

Message 4 of 9
TheFIGuy
Established Contributor

CLOC = Checking Line Of Credit
Message 5 of 9
FicoGuy2019
Established Contributor

I can understand your frustration with the rep saying one thing and it didn't work that way but always expect pulls from anywhere anytime you apply for anything even though it's been proven that they may always pull one thing or another.  I did all my research and finally applied for my nfcu cr back in April.  They pulled TU Classic 98....pretty rare, I believe. I was expecting TU9...so you just never know...just always be ready for anything.

Message 6 of 9
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Applying for credit, always expect a hp. Mosts csrs wont know their left foot from right especially if they can get you to apply for 2 products in one day. Their human, even Navy repsSmiley Wink

You will find most hps are worth it with Navy, the ones that arent are usually our fault for just pulling a trigger haphazardly lol. Ask me how i knowSmiley Wink
Message 7 of 9
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Went into my branch to do 2 things refinance my ridiculous sub prime auto loan, and apply for a credit card.
I asked the loan officer before anything if they pulled equifax (my highest score 719) she said yes, which I already knew from this forum (thank you)
Then I asked if it would be possible to avoid 2 HPs and apply for both the refi and CC off of my initial pull...

2 agents flat out told me, that yes it would only be pulled once, and that one pull is good for 30 days.
So boom we do the refi, and it instantly comes back and I'm approved for the lowest APR 4.99% for 48 months saving me $160 a month (great) payment was $531 at 20.99% now it's $371 a month...
So I'm feeling amazing hoping that I get my first big SL ever.. We pick the cash rewards card...she runs the application and my phone starts blowing up saying I have a new HP from........TU?? **bleep**

I probably wouldn't have even done it if I'd have known id get dinged twice, and I don't even have TU Fico 8 score yet Or an EX, they'll generate in about a month because I've only had activity since January.

my TU and EX fako scores are both significantly lower then my one generated F8 EQ score..my TU fako is a 648
Anyhow I'm pretty bummed out because I thought my one generrated f8 score was pretty good and I was hoping it would land me that first real substantial CC..I kinda have to work around that EQ score.
I kinda felt it would be denied, but I asked her and she said that it didn't get denied but that it was in review?
Does that mean I might have a chance for a CC still? Like they might look at My lack of TU score and they might look at my EQ and other factors?
It was the end of the day and they were kicking everyone out...so all she really told me that if was being reviewed.
Whats my next step? I dont even know what to do..
do I call NFCU? If so when? or just wait for them to contact me?

Anyone ever gone to review and still gotten a decent SL?

Thanks sorry for the novel

Well first, a huge congratulations to you for getting rid of that awful subprime auto loan. A savings of $160 per month would have me howling at the moon right about now. Smiley Very Happy

So what I'm trying to say here is to tamper your frustration and not feel the CSR outright lied. That could be what she thought, and afterall, we all can make a mistake. From experience, I have called--not only CCCs but also the IRS--and found that you can speak to 5 different people about the same exact thing, and rest assured, you will get 5 different answers. Smiley Surprised

Also, there are so many posts on here that basically scream, "NFCU loves to HP," but 9 times out of 10 it's worth it!

So, I suggest sending a SM to NFCU telling them how much you love banking with them, thanking them for refinancing your vehicle at that wonderful 4.99%, and how much you are looking forward to getting a CC with them. And godforbid, do not say the CSR lied to you. Smiley Tongue

Keep us in the loop and GL2U

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 8 of 9
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
CLOC?..hmm usually good w deciphering...credit limit._._?

This is the link for commonly used abbreviations. It's a lifesaver!

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/User-Guidelines-General/Common-Abbreviations/m-p/88458#M23

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.