Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU second card... too soon?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

NFCU second card... too soon?

Hi guys!!! So excited about reaching my third month with navy! I was approved on June 19th for a CR w/ a $500 SL. I want to apply for a second card being that my credit has drastically improved since applying. My TU IS 691 now, no derogs 5inqs and 6 months of history. Also, it’s my 90th day but won’t get my third statement until 10/8... should I wait to pull the trigger or am I safe to do it now?
Just got approved for a $2k cloc in the 30th of August
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NFCU second card... too soon?

App away! They'll prob set you up with something in the range of $5500-$10,000. Usually on second cards they max their internal limit. Give it a shot
Message 2 of 10
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

I would wait until it is 91 days and your third statment cuts, that is usually how Navy works most of the time. There have been exceptions but not many and with your intial low SL I would not attempt anything until after your thrid statement cuts and Navy has issued the AR fico scores for October.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 3 of 10
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Totally agree with @jbnmom.

Hold off until then. Also, view your FICO scores on your NFCU dashboard. The next one for NFCU is November as NFCU posts every other month. The latest one just posted around Sept 6.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 4 of 10
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Also worth noting OP, spacing things out doesn't hurt anything. At best, it gives your profile time to build and age. And, just because most folks jump on the earliest opportunity (everyone's profiles are different), sometimes the results can be less than stellar. I'd say 6 months can probably yield better results than 91 days IMO.
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should be ok. I got my first card (CR) 6/1 with $500 SL and at 91 days was approved for the AmEx with $15k SL and got a $1k bump on my CR card. My Fico 9 score with NFCU was 688 on approval of second card.

Edited to add: I did have 3 statements by then however.
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would wait the 3 weeks until your 3rd statment hit then apply for your second card. 

Message 7 of 10
Pikaboo-icu
Valued Contributor

Ask the question: Is there a need for a second card right now?

Is it possible to wait?

I waited nearly 6 months; requested a $10,000 cli on first card, Cash Rewards, instant approval.

Immediately app'd for second card AMEX, instant approval $25,000. SL

If there is no immediate need, waiting another month or two, allowing your credit to "cook" and continue to improve may net you greater success.

Your choice- obviously but without the need for another card right now, as Elton John says: things can only get better.

♪♫♪Don't look at it like it's forever
Between you and me I could honestly say
That things can only get better ♪♫♪       dancing1.gif         ~Elton  musicElton.gif

Good Luck whatever you decide.. 

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

From my experience, NFCU is an odd one. I applied for a card with them at the end of May. Flat out denied. Got a secured card with a $500 deposit. Closed on my new house last Friday. Applied for a NFCU platinum card, approved for 25k as of 3 hours ago. And I still have a $500 secured card (that even made the agent laugh when I was talking to them). I’ve only had 3 statements cut in my secured card.

My best friend applied for 2 NFCU cards in one day, and was approved for both. Your mileage may vary.
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your response. I decided not to apply and let my profile age a bit.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.