cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU should I apply for a credit card yet?

tag
Kinglord
Regular Contributor

Re: NFCU should I apply for a credit card yet?

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi all! 
working on my rebuild. No bankruptcies, $576 left in collections(falls on. May 2021), everything else that was in collections been deleted, DTI 21%, scores 595, 598, 629, Car loan from One Main, 5 credit cards under 8% utilization, but about 13 late payments over the last 2 years spread across the CC. Should I even bother applying for anything yet? I just opened my Navy federal account last week and make 90k. I'm finally learning how to be responsible with my finances and really want everything in order so I can buy a home and have credit lines higher than what I have ($500-$950 per card). Discover it approved for secured, but I just really don't want another starter card. Any advice?

I was at a 649 for TU and I was apporved this morning for a NFCU Platinum, $7400 limit at 15%.  For me, this is my Highest Limit and lowest APR just yet.  I also went with the Platinum for the 0% Balance Transfer for 12 mos.  Awesome opportunity for me.  NFCU does had a prequailfy tool FYI.  Best of luck to you!

Message 11 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Kinglord wrote:

I was at a 649 for TU and I was apporved this morning for a NFCU Platinum, $7400 limit at 15%.  For me, this is my Highest Limit and lowest APR just yet.  I also went with the Platinum for the 0% Balance Transfer for 12 mos.  Awesome opportunity for me.  NFCU does had a prequailfy tool FYI.  Best of luck to you!

Where is the NFCU Prequal tool located? Can you post up a link? I'm a member of NFCU and when I Click the CC section to look at optionas, it goes thru the full application process as if I'm Cold Apping, but because I'm logged into account it fills out name, address, etc. I'd like to use a prequalify before I take a HP.

Thanks

Message 12 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's awesome! Congrats on your approval! I didn't see the prequal tool. Was that calling in to a rep or online? Definitely would like to use that first.

Message 13 of 15
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Fyi, the Navy prequal is sporadic and not as reliable as some people believe, imo. 

Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm going with a savings certificate to build the relationship before applying. Also!! I checked CK this morning and my score jumped up 25 pts on TU and 45 pts on Equifax. Credit One had mercy on me and updated all my late payments across multiple accounts so I went from 90% on time to 97% on time! If Capital One does the same I might hit club 700! Even thought that last collection falls off next May, I think I'm just goi g to call Sprint and ask for a deletion and pay it. If they oblige, then I'm taking the Navy CC application leap.

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.