Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU, wanting one card only

tag
CashBackQueen
Frequent Contributor

NFCU, wanting one card only

Hi all,
I've been seeing people say that your second NFCU card is the one that grows so to NOT app for the one you really want first, but I only want one card, the Cash Rewards. Will it really not grow that well? If I get a different card first, can I eventually combine it into the second card later?
Thanks in advance 😊
BK7 DC 1/2/18 • Progress as of 5/10/22:

TCL: $89,350 • If it ain't got rewards, I don't want it Smiley Wink
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NFCU, wanting one card only

Get a cashRewards and at 91/3, ask for a CLI and see what happens. The thing is that NFCU normally won't approve more than 3x your limit when giving a CLI so a $1K approval will be $9K at the most 9 months later while a second card can start out at $10K+ right out of the gate. 

All NFCU cards grow if given enough time, a second card just gets those big limits faster. 

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I’m the opposite. My first card is a Cash Rewards and started at $5k. 3 months later (this week) I asked for a 3X CLI and they countered at $12k as my new limit. I app’d for the Flagship and was declined. Used the same HP and was approved for the More Rewards at $500 SL which they won’t budge from. No worries as I know they will grow more.
Message 3 of 10
spiritcraft1
Valued Contributor

You can product change, Visa to Visa for instance.  So after 6 months, if you get that second card with a higher limit you can shift around.  The Flagship is really a 2% cashback card (with a $49 fee after 1st year).  Depending on spend, that could make sense as that second card.

Biz |
Current F08 -
Current 2,4,5 -
Current F09 -
No PG Biz Credit in Order of Approval - Uline, Quill, Grainger, SupplyWorks, MSC, Amsterdam, Citi Tractor Supply Rev .8k, NewEgg Net 30 10k, Richelieu 2k, Wurth Supply 2k, Global Ind 2k, Sam's Club Store 11.k, Shell Fleet 19.5k, Citi Exxon 2.5k, Dell Biz Revolving $15k, B&H Photo, $5k

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

You aren't limited to having to pick a different card either. You can have 2 cashRewards if you want. 

I wouldn't discount the Platinum though -- having a low APR card to use for BTs of high interest balances to low interest as an option or for emergencies is always nice and it's hard to beat a low APR that has no BT fee for any transfers. 

Message 5 of 10
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

@spiritcraft1 wrote:

You can product change, Visa to Visa for instance.  So after 6 months, if you get that second card with a higher limit you can shift around.  The Flagship is really a 2% cashback card (with a $49 fee after 1st year).  Depending on spend, that could make sense as that second card.

How is flagship really a 2% card when you get 3% on travel?

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 6 of 10
SlideOrInsert
Regular Contributor

will grow if your DTI supports it.

I did not want a second card either and chose the platinum because the *rewards card mirror my bofa cash (3-2-1) and chase freedom unlimited (1.5).

12/31/18joined nfcu
12/31/18approved platinum to 6800, hard pull
04/06/19cli to 16800, hard pull
10/05/19cli to 25000, soft pull
upgrade
9/2022
$30000
nfcu
8/2020
$20000
nfcu
12/2018
$30000
bofa
8/2016
$30000
citi
3/2016
$21000
discover
5/2014
$20000
chase
10/2007
$8900
Message 7 of 10
spiritcraft1
Valued Contributor

@Shooting-For-800 wrote:

@spiritcraft1 wrote:

2 points on "everything else".  I have earned over $1k in 9 months including the $500 bonus.

Biz |
Current F08 -
Current 2,4,5 -
Current F09 -
No PG Biz Credit in Order of Approval - Uline, Quill, Grainger, SupplyWorks, MSC, Amsterdam, Citi Tractor Supply Rev .8k, NewEgg Net 30 10k, Richelieu 2k, Wurth Supply 2k, Global Ind 2k, Sam's Club Store 11.k, Shell Fleet 19.5k, Citi Exxon 2.5k, Dell Biz Revolving $15k, B&H Photo, $5k

Message 8 of 10
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

@spiritcraft1 wrote:

@Shooting-For-800 wrote:

@spiritcraft1 wrote:

2 points on "everything else".  I have earned over $1k in 9 months including the $500 bonus.

Yea, I know.  But its not just a 2% card.  Its an at least 2% card.  Smiley Wink 

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 9 of 10
spiritcraft1
Valued Contributor

@Shooting-For-800 wrote:

@spiritcraft1 wrote:

@Shooting-For-800 wrote:

@spiritcraft1 wrote:

Yea, I know.  But its not just a 2% card.  Its an at least 2% card.  Smiley Wink 

Yes it is.  Smiley Happy

Biz |
Current F08 -
Current 2,4,5 -
Current F09 -

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.