Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(Update): NFCU MORE REWARDS AMEX *DENIAL*

tag
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Navy FCU MORE REWARDS AMEX *DENIAL*

Its funny , the Plat is awesome and has one of the lowest aprs around. Yet my card that i chose to grow in limit was my Cash Rewards. Higher apr but look at it like this. A $25k rewards card, $7500 cash advance, 9.something apr is pretty awesom balance of both worlds for a rewards cards. Only thing better is if Navy made it a 2% cashback cardSmiley Wink

Message 41 of 105
slickwidit
Established Contributor

@Aim_High sorry for the denial... Thank you for sharing. I just learned something from you with this thread and it will let me share what I've learned about Navy.

Not everyone is on the same cycle. The 3 statement rule does not apply to everyone (a lot but not all or even must). I have 2 cards with Navy. the platimun which is at 1K and rewards card at 15k. Before I apped for the third card I called in see if I was eligible for SP CLI on either cards and she nonchalantly said no you have to wait a year as if that was the norm.  None the less I applied for the third card (Amex more rewards) and got denied with the same reason... I've hit my internal max. so I have 16k in CC CL and $500 PLOC and I CANNOT get anything else at this moment. I've been a member for over a year now and I still will not apply for the third card because I know it will be the same denial. I can tell based on how people say they get auto luv or they call in and the CSR say they eligible for SP for CLI request. These things are not offered to me. Up until Jan, I was running roughly 4k income through Navy. I took a slice from My Delta Community CU and GA's Own CU to help build a solid relationship. Because I've reach my max with Navy, I've cut back the flow of my income to a little over 2k monthly because I still like a lot of the banking features and move the difference to PenFed. Basically to see if I would get any different results.

I'm rambling so let me cut it short. I think we've been spoiled with the success of our fellow MyFico family when the truth might actually be that Navy goes off the beat of a different drum. Because of this, I'm going to give them time. What does giving them time look like for me? When they offer me something....

My DPs when it comes to this situation: close to 200k TCL and healthy income (nice daily gig and a consulting business with the DW). DTI at the time of application was in the teens (Xmax balances did hit yet from shopping). Also the the debt I'm carrying is 0% for 5 years and 0% 12 months. 

Don't get it twisted, I love Navy... I'm just going to take a different approach when building credit with them. The thing is I'm not even looking for max exposure with them. just what I'd call healthy... Maybe 40k of total exposure Smiley Happy.

anyways my .02cent

"Achieving your goal is great and everything.. But The journey is where all the amazing stuff happens" *Slickwidit*
Score goals - 800+ (85 points away)
Message 42 of 105
calyx
Super Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

Its funny , the Plat is awesome and has one of the lowest aprs around. Yet my card that i chose to grow in limit was my Cash Rewards. Higher apr but look at it like this. A $25k rewards card, $7500 cash advance, 9.something apr is pretty awesom balance of both worlds for a rewards cards. Only thing better is if Navy made it a 2% cashback cardSmiley Wink

No joke - if Navy made it a 2% card, I'd probably abandon SDFCU.   Not that I don't like SDFCU - they're fine, but my 2% is a daily driver and I'm always wonking out my utilization on it and since they're far more conservative than Navy, I feel like I could 'do better' at NFCU... 

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 43 of 105
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I would think it could have something to do with the lack of use on the existing account. No reason to extend more credit to you if you are not using what they've given you already. (I understand why you wouldn't use the card as no rewards, but just stating from the financial institution POV). Regardless of your great creditworthiness, they don't want to extend you a card that they think you're just going to throw in a drawer.

Message 44 of 105
Anonymous
Not applicable

i got the same denial reason i sent them a secured message and they reversed the decision and i didnt even have any credit cards with them and i got the same denial letter reason

Message 45 of 105
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

i got the same denial reason i sent them a secured message and they reversed the decision and i didnt even have any credit cards with them and i got the same denial letter reason

Congrats on your recon success and welcome to My Fico Forums, @Anonymous !

What did you say in your recon message that helped to sway their decision? 

I'm debating writing them a letter to the snail mail address they included. 

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 46 of 105
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just explained to them that I never had a credit card with them

Message 47 of 105
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I just explained to them that I never had a credit card with them

@Anonymous 

Welcome To myFICO Forums and

Message 48 of 105
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@calyx wrote:

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

No joke - if Navy made it a 2% card, I'd probably abandon SDFCU.   Not that I don't like SDFCU - they're fine, but my 2% is a daily driver and I'm always wonking out my utilization on it and since they're far more conservative than Navy, I feel like I could 'do better' at NFCU... 

@calyx, They do, it is called the Flagship!

2% on everything ..3% on Travel

https://www.navyfederal.org/loans-cards/credit-cards/flagship-visa-signature/

The points are redeemable for cash, I do it all the time!

Message 49 of 105
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

OK let's try to not stray TOO far off of topic Smiley Happy

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 50 of 105
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.