cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy Federal Datapoints Thread for Membership, CLIs, and Credit Card Products

tag
Aim_High
Super Contributor

Re: Navy Federal Datapoints Thread for Membership, CLIs, and Credit Card Products

@Have1 wrote:

I agree that I probably have a good chance of getting an SL in line with my existing limits.  But I am curious if I'll get the "second card" SL instead which is why I ask.

The "first card/second card" phenomena with Navy FCU is not necessarily a given, especially in your case with some history with them.  Many of us have applied for card one at the same time of new membership.  And many apply with Navy on this forum after hearing about how lenient and generous they are, even if they have a more shaky profile than yours.  Navy may approve them but will often start them off with "training wheels" on card one, whereas a more established profile may skip the "card one" phase entirely. IMO, with a BK7 but scores in the low 700's, you may fall kind of in the middle.  They can be a little sensitive to excessive new accounts so I would suggest gardening a little before applying to increase your odds of a higher limit approval.

We've had approvals on the difficult Flagship Rewards for card one and brand-new NFCU membership with SLs of $25K.  That's not saying it's common, but the "card one low limit" doesn't always happen.

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$850K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Aug 2023)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 811 of 1,522
Anonymalous
Valued Contributor

Re: Navy Federal Datapoints Thread for Membership, CLIs, and Credit Card Products

I know Navy doesn't always withhold a high SL until the second card, because I got a fairly high limit on my More Rewards, and it's my second card ever. And while my FICO score was quite high, I didn't have a particular high internal score with them (a bit over 300). But my profile, while young and thin, was clean. The second card CLI reports may be related to derogatories or other flags like high DTI, and you do have a bankruptcy on your profile, @Have1. But I'm not sure that's worth worrying too much about, because Navy is also good with CLIs. Even if you start smaller than you'd like, it'll grow.

For what it's worth, I've been using my NFCU Amex for 2 months, and aside from Costco I don't think I've run into a place that doesn't accept it. At least within the US, acceptance seems very high. But it's not a bad idea to do your own due diligence with the vendors you plan to use.

Message 812 of 1,522
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@Have1 wrote:

@Aim_High wrote:

@Have1 wrote:

I've been looking but haven't found any DPs on this:

Thanks.

While I don't know specific data points about SL on card one after an installment loan, I can tell you this @Have1.  Navy is very much about relationship, regardless of credit profile.  They even use an internal score as part of their approval process.  While no one knows for sure, it very well may be that length of time as a customer as well as usage of a variety of their products and services as well as maintaining a responsible financial relationship all go into play with that score.   In that regard, I would imagine that a prior installment loan could help with approval on a credit card, as well as length of tenure with deposit accounts. 

SLs have not appeared to be related to the credit card you choose, unlike with some lenders who appear to get better SLs on certain products.   Choose the card you prefer.  You won't likely be approved for it, but all their cards can grow up to at least $50K limits and Flagship Rewards can grow up to $80K, the maximum revolving exposure. 

What is your FICO score, age of oldest account, or other credit factors?   You have other cards in the $6K to $8K range already, so I could see a Navy approval on card one at somewhere between $5K and $10K being reasonable, depending on overall profile.

Thank you for your quick response. 

I'm not actually interested in the Flagship, so I don't have to worry about their higher UW requirements for that one.  It'll either be the More Rewards or Go Rewards.  It will depend on SUBs and I'll be looking for AMEX acceptance at places I might use the card to make sure I don't end up with a card that I can't use very much.  I haven't had anything on the AMEX network in a long time so it hasn't been something I have been looking for.

My scores were good enough for a used car loan from them at only .02% higher than the advertised "as low as" rate in December.  I assume that means they aren't too spooked by my history.

My TU 9:  732, 8:  694  BankCard9: 736 BankCard8:  723. 

BK7 in 2016. One closed IIB credit card (AMEX - DoFD is the BK7 date). No lates, no CA, no CO, no baddies at all except a big, fat BK7 and the AMEX account it ate as an hors d'oeuvre.

My oldest account is the closed AMEX, 33 years.  Next is the open Military Star at 17 years.  My AAoA is 8 years this month.  Utilization is $28 on the Capital One this month which is showing on all the CMS as 0% due to rounding.  Actual spending was a couple thousand due to Christmas and a new car.  My youngest CC is the Chase Amazon from September 21.

I agree that I probably have a good chance of getting an SL in line with my existing limits.  But I am curious if I'll get the "second card" SL instead which is why I ask.

If a place accepts Amex they will accept a Navy Amex. There will be no blacklisting you because your Amex isnt American Express enough for them lol so even a Credit One Amex will swipe just as wellSmiley Wink.  

Message 813 of 1,522
MrZero
Regular Contributor

It's been a minute since I last logged in, though ment to last month when I got an auto CLI on my Chase card but anyway, my CR's 181 days was up on Monday, forgot it was the 17th until a few days passed so I put in a request for 25K on Thursday because why not? That would've been a 14K increase which I wasn't expecting, they ended up giving my an 8K increase which was more than I actually expected so now my Cash Rewards is up to 19,000.

Not bad for a card that started at $1,000 in April 2020. Smiley Tongue

Updated 8/12/22.

Total Inquiries: EX: 1|TU: 1|EQ: 1
Derogs: 0
AAoA: 2Y1M
AoOA: 2Y6M.
AoYA: 1Y1M.
Total CL: 57,600
Utilization: ~1%

Message 814 of 1,522
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@MrZero wrote:

It's been a minute since I last logged in, though ment to last month when I got an auto CLI on my Chase card but anyway, my CR's 181 days was up on Monday, forgot it was the 17th until a few days passed so I put in a request for 25K on Thursday because why not? That would've been a 14K increase which I wasn't expecting, they ended up giving my an 8K increase which was more than I actually expected so now my Cash Rewards is up to 19,000.

Congrats, but yes, the max they're giving out right now is $8k.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 815 of 1,522
Have1
Regular Contributor

@Aim_High wrote:

@Have1 wrote:

The "first card/second card" phenomena with Navy FCU is not necessarily a given, especially in your case with some history with them.  Many of us have applied for card one at the same time of new membership.  And many apply with Navy on this forum after hearing about how lenient and generous they are, even if they have a more shaky profile than yours.  Navy may approve them but will often start them off with "training wheels" on card one, whereas a more established profile may skip the "card one" phase entirely. IMO, with a BK7 but scores in the low 700's, you may fall kind of in the middle.  They can be a little sensitive to excessive new accounts so I would suggest gardening a little before applying to increase your odds of a higher limit approval.

We've had approvals on the difficult Flagship Rewards for card one and brand-new NFCU membership with SLs of $25K.  That's not saying it's common, but the "card one low limit" doesn't always happen.

As I said, I'm thinking April - May '22 which will be ~6 months since joining/first loan and ~8 months since last new card.  Of course, if there isn't a SUB in effect that will work for the fuel buy, there wouldn't be any hurry.  I did receive my first ever marketing email from NFCU Wednesday inviting me to apply for a More Rewards card, so I assume they have me on a list of people who at least pass the sniff test for that card.

Message 816 of 1,522
Have1
Regular Contributor

@Anonymalous wrote:

I know Navy doesn't always withhold a high SL until the second card, because I got a fairly high limit on my More Rewards, and it's my second card ever. And while my FICO score was quite high, I didn't have a particular high internal score with them (a bit over 300). But my profile, while young and thin, was clean. The second card CLI reports may be related to derogatories or other flags like high DTI, and you do have a bankruptcy on your profile, @Have1. But I'm not sure that's worth worrying too much about, because Navy is also good with CLIs. Even if you start smaller than you'd like, it'll grow.

For what it's worth, I've been using my NFCU Amex for 2 months, and aside from Costco I don't think I've run into a place that doesn't accept it. At least within the US, acceptance seems very high. But it's not a bad idea to do your own due diligence with the vendors you plan to use.

@Anonymalous thank you for your thoughts on this.  I agree with you about the CLs.  The only way I'll know how it applies to me is when the time comes.

As to AMEX acceptance, I understand that the network is the network.  My concern is that there are plenty of smaller places that use processers who only do MC/Visa because of the lower merchant fees.  When I had an AMEX card (1988 - 2016) I only occasionally had issues with acceptance, but that was 6 years ago and my spending has changed a lot since then.

Message 817 of 1,522
Have1
Regular Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

If a place accepts Amex they will accept a Navy Amex. There will be no blacklisting you because your Amex isnt American Express enough for them lol so even a Credit One Amex will swipe just as wellSmiley Wink.  

@AverageJoesCredit Thank you for your input.  I do realize the AMEX network is the AMEX network.  What I am concerned about is whether the small operations that I might want to use the card at accept AMEX at all.  The low cost processor options that many small companies use are usually MC/Visa only. 

Message 818 of 1,522
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@MrZero wrote:

Very cool MR 0. Smiley Happy. I Think often some worry too much on sl with Navy when show me another lender where 16,000 a year is possible in cli sinply by requesting itSmiley Wink

Message 819 of 1,522
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

@MrZero wrote:

Very cool MR 0. Smiley Happy. I Think often some worry too much on sl with Navy when show me another lender where 16,000 a year is possible in cli sinply by requesting itSmiley Wink

Slightly OT .. Lowe's ?  .. $7K-$35K in less than a month.Smiley Tongue

Message 820 of 1,522
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.