cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy Federal Datapoints Thread for Membership, CLIs, and Credit Card Products

tag
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Re: Navy Federal Datapoints Thread for Membership, CLIs, and Credit Card Products

@vbmom89 wrote:

Hi all!

Tried to sort through this thread to avoid redundency, but could not figure out exactly how to search the thread individually. 

Product is NFCU Platinum, CL25K/BL14K - was 22K but paid about 7K to bring down down. Usually use for BTs to utilize the low APR (used to be 5.99 - now still the lowest but 10.24). Even with the hike, the rate is still lower than all other cards without promos so BTs will still be this card's purpose for the time being. 

I had an issue with trusted authorized users on other cards deciding not to pay (yeah yeah - my mistake), and so I do in fact need to utilize the my NFCU card for BTs and interest reduction once my promos are up on the other cards.

I cannot remember the last time I requested a CL, but thanks to the unexpected HU my EQ9 is a 678 and EQ9 bankcard score is a 669.

What is the best method for asking for a CLI and to get the highest amount? i.e. How much should be requested? Should I wait a certain amount of time since my most recent balloon payment? Also - is there risk to my APR by requesting CL? Honestly - this is my biggest concern - more so than being approved or denied.

Goal here is to get at least another 10K, but would love a more substantial hike.  Personal gross income has increased about 40K from when I applied for the card - but CS is obviously down, and also have a mortage payment plus the new higher UT of the other cards I need to BT from so DTI may be lower than before.

Thanks for any help that can be offered - let me know if more info about situation is needed - or even other advice to manage!

CARD BL/CL: BOA - 14.5K/16K   NFCU - 14K/25K  CITI - 7.5K/18K   DISC - 3K/25K   AMEX - 2K/27K   SAVOR - 1K/17K  CAP QS - 0K/8K  CHASE - 1K/11K  BARCL - 0K/8K

Hi @vbmom89 ,

Just ask via phone app or website. (don't call on the phone)

Ask for $8,000 CLI (probably the max they would give)

Would not worry about your score, they will look at payment history.

Good Luck and Please report back on the outcome?

ETA: Do not worry about them changing APR for CLI request.

Message 1431 of 1,522
WildestDreams
Regular Contributor

Re: Navy Federal Datapoints Thread for Membership, CLIs, and Credit Card Products

@TRC_WA wrote:

@TheFIGuy wrote:
I was a little annoyed if I had known it was just an honor system — NFCU 100% performs verification of all information provided, no "honor" system. Think of it like trust but verify, they trust you and will perform the checks in a couple of days/months. If you're lying, it will be known, and all assets and accounts will be frozen.

Excellent job for getting that documentation uploaded, just in case.

10 months and they haven't asked me for any verification... but will let you know when they do.

8 months here, they did not ask me for any documents, I wondered If they maybe had others ways to verify, I did give them my fathers name, branch and DOB... I have his DD-214 but was never asked for it 

BKCH7 - Discharged Dec 2022
Message 1432 of 1,522
SUPERSQUID
Valued Contributor

@WildestDreams wrote:

@TRC_WA wrote:

@TheFIGuy wrote:
I was a little annoyed if I had known it was just an honor system — NFCU 100% performs verification of all information provided, no "honor" system. Think of it like trust but verify, they trust you and will perform the checks in a couple of days/months. If you're lying, it will be known, and all assets and accounts will be frozen.

10 months and they haven't asked me for any verification... but will let you know when they do.

8 months here, they did not ask me for any documents, I wondered If they maybe had others ways to verify, I did give them my fathers name, branch and DOB... I have his DD-214 but was never asked for it 

I think they check somehow, In my case i'm the vet and they asked branch, service number, and I cant remember what else. Penfed seemed to ask more questions like rank etc but then if you are the vet you are automatically entered into their honors advantage which makes you eligible for 2 pct cb on the PCR cc

{ BK7 DC 12/2019 } target 1600/ kohls Visa 7000/ discover IT cb 6500 / 2nd discover IT cb 6000/mercury 4100 / firestone 2800 /legacy 3000 /first savings bank cc 3000/ cap1 QS 5000/ cap 1 savor one 3100 /Bread rewards Amex 4k, Penfed PCR signature visa 10k/ penfed gold 7.5k NFCU >signature visa cash rewards 21700/bread cashback amex 8000

>/ nfcu platinum 15k, BABY NEEDS NEW SHOES !!!!!
closed-- reflex, applied bank, first digital, mission lane, ikea, fingerhut, big lots, valero gasoline, ollo, more to come
Rebuilding since September 2020
who i burned - chase, cap 1, TD bank, Sync, were the biggies
Income 40k
Total utilization around 20 pct depending on my current usage/needs
Ficos in the 680 - 690 range, the 9's slightly higher than the 8's
My vantage scores 708 - 711
TCL - about 110k
Retired since 2017
Message 1433 of 1,522
Anonymalous
Valued Contributor

@SUPERSQUID wrote:

I think they check somehow, In my case i'm the vet and they asked branch, service number, and I cant remember what else.

The only thing they ask family members is relationship and branch. They don't even ask for a name, much less something like a service number or SSN.

Message 1434 of 1,522
WildestDreams
Regular Contributor

@SUPERSQUID wrote:

@WildestDreams wrote:

@TRC_WA wrote:

@TheFIGuy wrote:

I think they check somehow, In my case i'm the vet and they asked branch, service number, and I cant remember what else. Penfed seemed to ask more questions like rank etc but then if you are the vet you are automatically entered into their honors advantage which makes you eligible for 2 pct cb on the PCR cc

Maybe since you are a vet they can tell by your SSN, who knows? I'm glad I was able to get in, after my father passed I thought I was doomed, for some reason i was convinced he had to have an account before I could. Now if I could only crack the code on how to get them to approve me for a auto refinance Smiley LOL

Message 1435 of 1,522
WildestDreams
Regular Contributor

@Anonymalous wrote:

@SUPERSQUID wrote:

I think they check somehow, In my case i'm the vet and they asked branch, service number, and I cant remember what else.

The only thing they ask family members is relationship and branch. They don't even ask for a name, much less something like a service number or SSN.

Seems like people have been asked for varying info, I did give them my fathers name, branch and DOB - I don't know how they could possibly check, I wonder if they randomly audit or ask for proof?

Message 1436 of 1,522
Anonymalous
Valued Contributor

@WildestDreams wrote:

@Anonymalous wrote:

@SUPERSQUID wrote:

Seems like people have been asked for varying info, I did give them my fathers name, branch and DOB - I don't know how they could possibly check, I wonder if they randomly audit or ask for proof?

Did you volunteer that, or did they ask? There are a lot of DPs of them just asking for branch and relationship, but some people provide additional information anyway.

It's been a while, but there are reports of people being asked for proof, and having their accounts frozen if they can't provide it.

Message 1437 of 1,522
Anonymalous
Valued Contributor

@WildestDreams wrote:

I'm glad I was able to get in, after my father passed I thought I was doomed, for some reason i was convinced he had to have an account before I could. Now if I could only crack the code on how to get them to approve me for a auto refinance Smiley LOL

You were probably confusing NFCU with USAA, which does have that requirement.

Message 1438 of 1,522
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

When it comes to eligibility, in order to keep their status NFCU has to make sure its members meet certain criteria. I'm sure there are times when they can be more lax, but the issue is if there's ever an audit. 

Message 1439 of 1,522
SUPERSQUID
Valued Contributor

@Anonymalous wrote:

@WildestDreams wrote:

@Anonymalous wrote:

@SUPERSQUID wrote:

Did you volunteer that, or did they ask? There are a lot of DPs of them just asking for branch and relationship, but some people provide additional information anyway.

It's been a while, but there are reports of people being asked for proof, and having their accounts frozen if they can't provide it.

Its been almost 2 years since I joined and honestly I can only recall them asking what branch I served in. Penfed seemed to ask more questions and I remember the last question they asked before my approval to join was about rank, there was a long list of ranks and I had to choose mine, then it went right to approvals page.

I am glad some folks joined thru their family members, its a great credit union.

If I didnt serve I could have joined under my late fathers service or my grandfathers service in ww2.

{ BK7 DC 12/2019 } target 1600/ kohls Visa 7000/ discover IT cb 6500 / 2nd discover IT cb 6000/mercury 4100 / firestone 2800 /legacy 3000 /first savings bank cc 3000/ cap1 QS 5000/ cap 1 savor one 3100 /Bread rewards Amex 4k, Penfed PCR signature visa 10k/ penfed gold 7.5k NFCU >signature visa cash rewards 21700/bread cashback amex 8000

>/ nfcu platinum 15k, BABY NEEDS NEW SHOES !!!!!
closed-- reflex, applied bank, first digital, mission lane, ikea, fingerhut, big lots, valero gasoline, ollo, more to come
Rebuilding since September 2020
who i burned - chase, cap 1, TD bank, Sync, were the biggies
Income 40k
Total utilization around 20 pct depending on my current usage/needs
Ficos in the 680 - 690 range, the 9's slightly higher than the 8's
My vantage scores 708 - 711
TCL - about 110k
Retired since 2017
Message 1440 of 1,522
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.