cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy Federal Datapoints Thread for Membership, CLIs, and Credit Card Products

tag
collics
Established Contributor

Re: Navy Federal Datapoints Thread for Membership, CLIs, and Credit Card Products

Hello everyone. I posted in the approvals section several days ago but wanted to add here.

I've had my MR since Jan '21 and CR since May '21. Been denied for CLI at every try w/ reason max unsecured limit they were willing to extend.

I'm certain I read somewhere on the forums they use EQ Fico 9 for CLI and it's been lagging behind for months at only 635.

It finally jumped with the May score refresh to 665. So I asked again and both were approved for the additional $3k I asked for. Prob left some money on the table but that's okay.

MR $5000>$8000

CR $15000>$18000

I was approved for the Platinum last month for only a $1000 limit (shoulda waited haha) but I want to do a BT and plan to move a few thousand from the CR. I sent a msg and they advsd I needed to wait a little while longer as the CR hasn't hit 1 year old yet. I'll update on how that goes after May 15.

Hope everyone has a great day. 

BK 7 Discharged May 2014. Removal Feb 2024! Let the countdown begin!!
Last App: Apr 2023
Newest to Oldest:

FICO8s Dec 2019

FICO8s Oct 31 2023
Message 1051 of 1,522
cczzll1611

Re: Navy Federal Datapoints Thread for Membership, CLIs, and Credit Card Products

I was denied a CLI for a very strange reason that I have no idea how to resolve or fix.

As I had mentioned in this post (which, sadly, no one was able to respond to), my Navy Federal credit score has not updated since Feb. 2022.

I asked for a $5000 increase on a $10,000 limit. It was denied. Here's the message I received from Navy Federal explaining the denial:

Thank you for your message. When determining if an applicant qualifies for additional credit, various criteria are reviewed to ensure creditworthiness. This criteria includes: monthly income, details reported by your monthly soft inquiry credit bureau score from Equifax, as well as your Navy Federal account characteristics such as account standing and other various factors. Currently, Navy Federal has not received your monthly soft inquiry score from Equifax since 02/2022. We are currently unable to approve any additional credit line.

You will need to contact Equifax to resolve the any issues of the reporting your soft score. If you have any additional questions, please let us know.

I called Equifax and they had NO IDEA what I was talking about or requesting to have happen. (Sadly, it might have been a language barrier since the person was clearly not US-based.) I pay for Experian, and my most recent Equifax score is from April 12 — so Equifax clearly has access to my scores.

Has this happened to anyone before? Does anyone know why this might be happening?

Basic data points: I've been a NF customer since 2016. Have had two $10k auto loans with them — one paid off, the other active — always paid on time. Never missed a credit card payment, either. Current usage is ~30% since I had to buy two international plane tickets recently and don't get paid until the end of the month. My income is $120k/year. All three scores ranging from 700-730 currently.

EDIT: I've had the card since June 2018 and have never applied for a CLI.

Message 1052 of 1,522
collics
Established Contributor

@collics wrote:

Hello everyone. I posted in the approvals section several days ago but wanted to add here.

I've had my MR since Jan '21 and CR since May '21. Been denied for CLI at every try w/ reason max unsecured limit they were willing to extend.

I'm certain I read somewhere on the forums they use EQ Fico 9 for CLI and it's been lagging behind for months at only 635.

It finally jumped with the May score refresh to 665. So I asked again and both were approved for the additional $3k I asked for. Prob left some money on the table but that's okay.

MR $5000>$8000

CR $15000>$18000

I was approved for the Platinum last month for only a $1000 limit (shoulda waited haha) but I want to do a BT and plan to move a few thousand from the CR. I sent a msg and they advsd I needed to wait a little while longer as the CR hasn't hit 1 year old yet. I'll update on how that goes after May 15.

Hope everyone has a great day. 

Reallocation was approved.

Plat- $7000

Cash Rew- $12000

More Rew- $8000

Very satisfied. 

BK 7 Discharged May 2014. Removal Feb 2024! Let the countdown begin!!
Last App: Apr 2023
Newest to Oldest:

FICO8s Dec 2019

FICO8s Oct 31 2023
Message 1053 of 1,522
ZenMan
Valued Member

@cczzll1611 wrote:

I was denied a CLI for a very strange reason that I have no idea how to resolve or fix.

As I had mentioned in this post (which, sadly, no one was able to respond to), my Navy Federal credit score has not updated since Feb. 2022.

I called Equifax and they had NO IDEA what I was talking about or requesting to have happen. (Sadly, it might have been a language barrier since the person was clearly not US-based.) I pay for Experian, and my most recent Equifax score is from April 12 — so Equifax clearly has access to my scores.

Has this happened to anyone before? Does anyone know why this might be happening?

@cczzll1611, I had this precise issue occur back in July 2020, and while my issue was eventually resolved, I’m sorry to say that you’re likely in for a series of extremely frustrating calls/emails with both Equifax and NFCU, as each company will likely insist that it is the other that is at the root of this glitch.

In my case, my soft inquiry scores disappeared after consistently updating monthly through July 2020.  (I’ve been a member since 2018.)  When my updates hadn’t resumed by September 2020, I sent a Secure Message to NFCU asking for an explanation, in which I confirmed for them that nothing substantive in my credit file had changed:  no new name, address, SSN, employer, or tradelines; and no freezes of any kind on my Equifax report.  NFCU opened an IT ticket for me and assigned a senior representative to the case, who would call me from time to time to keep me apprised of what their investigation was uncovering.

The first thing that NFCU requested that I do was to make sure that my name appeared on my Equifax report exactly as it does on my NFCU profile. I noticed that NFCU used only my middle initial in my name, while Equifax spelled out my middle name (e.g., JOHN Q PUBLIC vs. JOHN QUENTIN PUBLIC).  So I contacted Equifax and “disputed” the spelling of my name (and uploaded copies of my SSN card, birth certificate, and driver’s license), and within 48 hours my name on my Equifax report matched what NFCU had to the letter.  But after waiting several months for the two companies’ systems to get in sync, nothing changed.  My score was still not updating by March 2021, and neither company could understand why.  I learned from the NFCU rep with whom I was in contact that until my Equifax scores were again available to NFCU, any request for a credit line increase was going to be automatically denied, so I contacted their Underwriting department and asked to speak with a manager.  They were able to see from the copious notes on my account that there was an ongoing problem obtaining the soft pull updates from Equifax for my account, but they did agree to consider me for a credit line increase on both my credit cards if I consented to a hard pull.  Since I had no inquiries on Equifax at the time, I agreed to the hard pull and my requests were granted.  So if you really want a credit line increase while you wait for your issue to get sorted, this may be the only option available to you.  (Frankly, I was surprised that if NFCU can’t access a soft pull score for whatever reason that they just don’t go ahead and perform a hard pull when a customer requests a credit line increase.)

Meanwhile, I was still working with Equifax and NFCU behind the scenes to remedy this vexing situation, and finally, a senior manager at Equifax thought he’d found something.  He claimed that according to their records, a “fraud alert” had been initiated by the customer (me), and that this could be the reason that the link between them and NFCU had been broken. I assured him that I had never contacted Equifax (or any of the bureaus) to request this alert, and he quickly removed it for me.  A few months went by, and in September 2021, my scores finally began appearing on the NFCU website!  In October 2021, more than six months after my hard pull credit line increases, I requested online increases for both my cards again, and both were granted within 24 hours (SP).  I repeated this process in April 2022, and again, both requests were granted (SP) – so it seems as if the linkage between NFCU and Equifax is definitely restored and my information is once again flowing freely between the two.

As you can see, it took more than a year for Equifax to uncover the root cause behind this snafu.  (Whether that was, in fact, the actual reason behind the interruption of Equifax's monthly updates to NFCU, I suppose we'll never really know.)    And while your situation may not mirror mine exactly,  I do hope that you find something in the story that I’ve shared helpful.

Message 1054 of 1,522
Gsauce806

can i apply for a card while waiting for secured card to graduate its been 8months always pay my account down to 2% then pay the 2% once it reports.. my transunion score is 770 equifax 804 experian 780 fico 9 no derogatories and 4 inquiries transunion ty in advance

Message 1055 of 1,522
Have1
Regular Contributor

@Gsauce806 wrote:

can i apply for a card while waiting for secured card to graduate its been 8months always pay my account down to 2% then pay the 2% once it reports.. my transunion score is 770 equifax 804 experian 780 fico 9 no derogatories and 4 inquiries transunion ty in advance

You should be ok to apply for another card.  It isn't dependent on your first card graduating.  Your scores are certainly good.  It will be a HP, obviously.

Good luck.

Message 1056 of 1,522
Gsauce806

I applied and this the response i got

cashREWARDS

Credit Card Application

We’ve received your application for a cashREWARDS card and will review it as soon as possible.

You can expect an answer within 24-48 hours.

What you guys think ?

If we need more information to process your application, we'll call you or send you a message via digital banking.

Thank you for choosing Navy Federal!

Message 1057 of 1,522
SUPERSQUID
Valued Contributor

@Gsauce806 wrote:

cashREWARDS

Credit Card Application

We’ve received your application for a cashREWARDS card and will review it as soon as possible.

What you guys think ?

If we need more information to process your application, we'll call you or send you a message via digital banking.

Its not unusual to get a 24-48 hour message from NAVY , i've gotten them. One thing to remember is your first card has to be at least 3 full statements and 91 days old before you can be approved for a second card. a partial statement doesnt count, so you have to make sure its at least 3 FULL statements.

EDIT- Oops, now i notice you said the first card is 8 months old so you should be ok with that. just see what response you get from them. it wasnt an automatic denial so that is positive

{ BK7 DC 12/2019 } target 1600/ kohls Visa 7000/ discover IT cb 6500 / 2nd discover IT cb 6000/mercury 4100 / firestone 2800 /legacy 3000 /first savings bank cc 3000/ cap1 QS 5000/ cap 1 savor one 3100 /Bread rewards Amex 4k, Penfed PCR signature visa 10k/ penfed gold 7.5k NFCU >signature visa cash rewards 21700/bread cashback amex 8000

>/ nfcu platinum 15k, BABY NEEDS NEW SHOES !!!!!
closed-- reflex, applied bank, first digital, mission lane, ikea, fingerhut, big lots, valero gasoline, ollo, more to come
Rebuilding since September 2020
who i burned - chase, cap 1, TD bank, Sync, were the biggies
Income 40k
Total utilization around 20 pct depending on my current usage/needs
Ficos in the 680 - 690 range, the 9's slightly higher than the 8's
My vantage scores 708 - 711
TCL - about 110k
Retired since 2017
Message 1058 of 1,522
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@Gsauce806 wrote:

cashREWARDS

Credit Card Application

What you guys think ?

I think they really emphasize  Rewards here 😄

Standard reply BTW good luckSmiley Happy

Message 1059 of 1,522
KA14
Regular Contributor

@SUPERSQUID wrote:

@Gsauce806 wrote:

cashREWARDS

Credit Card Application

What you guys think ?

Its not unusual to get a 24-48 hour message from NAVY , i've gotten them. One thing to remember is your first card has to be at least 3 full statements and 91 days old before you can be approved for a second card. a partial statement doesnt count, so you have to make sure its at least 3 FULL statements.

EDIT- Oops, now i notice you said the first card is 8 months old so you should be ok with that. just see what response you get from them. it wasnt an automatic denial so that is positive

@SUPERSQUID The three *full* statements has been debunked. Myself and others have been able to get CLIs and new cards with 3 statements (of any length) as long as it's been more than 91 days. 

Message 1060 of 1,522
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.