Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy Federal Datapoints Thread for Membership, CLIs, and Credit Card Products

tag
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Navy Federal Datapoints Thread for Membership, CLIs, and Credit Card Products

@Binbinimiwi wrote:

@Jordan23ww  Thank you! I'm leaning towards the CSP more than the Flagship right now, but I also think I would get better customer service from NFCU. I'm a sucker for great customer service. I'm very hesitant of applying for cards that I don't want or need just to reach the goal of a card I want, which is why I haven't considered any other NFCU cards. The flagship meets my travel needs and once I get a travel card, I am only in need of 1 more card to complete my desired list of cards; a flat cash back card. I did get advice from someone to have 2 travel cards because it's important to have a backup, so I'm considering that advice, but haven't decided it's the path I will take.

You could always apply for another Navy card and if approved, PC it the following year. Just be aware you'd be forfeiting the SUB.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 1091 of 1,526
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Navy Federal Datapoints Thread for Membership, CLIs, and Credit Card Products

@Binbinimiwi wrote:

@Jordan23ww  Thank you! I'm leaning towards the CSP more than the Flagship right now, but I also think I would get better customer service from NFCU. I'm a sucker for great customer service. I'm very hesitant of applying for cards that I don't want or need just to reach the goal of a card I want, which is why I haven't considered any other NFCU cards. The flagship meets my travel needs and once I get a travel card, I am only in need of 1 more card to complete my desired list of cards; a flat cash back card. I did get advice from someone to have 2 travel cards because it's important to have a backup, so I'm considering that advice, but haven't decided it's the path I will take.

That 2nd card doesn't necessarily have to be a 'travel' card, just choose your flat cash back card wisely and it can also serve as your backup for when you travel.    Any Visa or Mastercard that has no FTF or cash advance fee can fulfill that role so you could for example go for a CSP as the travel card and NFCU Cash Rewards as your cashback/backup travel card, or a NFCU Flagship as travel card with a PenFed PCR as your cashback/backup travel card.   Having a Flagship as the travel card and Cash Rewards as the backup travel card wouldn't be recommended as they're both from the same issuer and you really want the 2 cards to come from different issuers. 

In theory the 2 cards should use different payment networks with the backup either a Visa or Mastercard but in practice having a payment network go offline for any appreciable length of time is a rare event.   

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 1092 of 1,526
Jordan23ww
Valued Contributor

@Binbinimiwi wrote:

@Binbinimiwi  You're welcome! Also that makes perfect sense!  Nothing wrong with being specific and intentional, only getting cards you want and need! Whatever you decide to do best wishes to you when you apply!  

Message 1093 of 1,526
TheFIGuy
Established Contributor

@coldfusion wrote:

@Binbinimiwi wrote:

That 2nd card doesn't necessarily have to be a 'travel' card, just choose your flat cash back card wisely and it can also serve as your backup for when you travel.    Any Visa or Mastercard that has no FTF or cash advance fee can fulfill that role so you could for example go for a CSP as the travel card and NFCU Cash Rewards as your cashback/backup travel card, or a NFCU Flagship as travel card with a PenFed PCR as your cashback/backup travel card.   Having a Flagship as the travel card and Cash Rewards as the backup travel card wouldn't be recommended as they're both from the same issuer and you really want the 2 cards to come from different issuers. 

In theory the 2 cards should use different payment networks with the backup either a Visa or Mastercard but in practice having a payment network go offline for any appreciable length of time is a rare event.   

I highly recommend this too!

Card lineup in Wallet:

• AMEX Platinum
  • AMEX Gold
  • NFCU CashRewards - VISA No FTF
  • RBFCU CashRewards - "currently" Mastercard No FTF
Message 1094 of 1,526
Binbinimiwi
Frequent Contributor

@OmarGB9  That's a solid plan and I'll have to think about whether or not I'm willing to forgo the sub. Thanks for the recommendation!

>>
FICO8 Scores as of JAN 2021:

FICO8 Scores as of JULY 2023:

FICO9 Scores as of July 2023:

Message 1095 of 1,526
Binbinimiwi
Frequent Contributor

@coldfusion wrote:

@Binbinimiwi wrote:

Thanks for the recommendation and encouragement. I like the idea of the CSP or NFCU Flagship followed up by a cash back card from a different bank and payment network; solid advice there. I am thinking the flagship may be unobtainable unless I app for a different card and then PC after a year b/c of the difficulty in getting the card and most seem to get there via PC or qualify after having other NFCU cards. I'm not sure I'd like to get there via PC b/c the sub would be very useful for me as I've got lots of travel coming up. Those would be very useful points, but again long shot approval odds on the flagship. Since I'm sitting at $10k CL on my Discover and $24k on my BCP, I was hoping I would get the CSP at the minimum $5K after my scores hit the 700's. Unfortunately, my timing is off and that fabulous SUB will be long gone (such is life). So, I'm going to have to dig to find out how often Chase offers the 80k sub. Maybe they will have something close to it when I'm ready to apply. 

>>

Message 1096 of 1,526
Binbinimiwi
Frequent Contributor

@TheFIGuy Thank you! I appreciate the support and advice. It helps knowing what has worked for others even though it's always YMMV. You have a great lineup and I hope to get to where I want to be with the cards I desire by this time next year and in the garden enjoying my benefits and watching my flowers grow.

>>

Message 1097 of 1,526
DJRobbieD
Regular Contributor

Is Navy still limiting SP CLIs to no more than $8k at a time?

TCL: $401.4k
Message 1098 of 1,526
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@DJRobbieD wrote:

That is correct.

Message 1099 of 1,526
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@DJRobbieD wrote:

Yes.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 1100 of 1,526
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.