Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy Federal Datapoints Thread for Membership, CLIs, and Credit Card Products

tag
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Navy Federal Datapoints Thread for Membership, CLIs, and Credit Card Products

@Falcon9 wrote:

Immediate approval.   Edited original post.

Actually immediate approval is pretty rare, so congrats!

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 1251 of 1,525
pip3man
Valued Contributor

Re: Navy Federal Datapoints Thread for Membership, CLIs, and Credit Card Products

So my question is, I am preparing to app for my 3rd card with Navy. Couple weeks ago I applied for a CLI which was partially approved for $6k than the regular $8k most folks seems to get. The denial letter says "you reached your maximum unsecured limit." Is this a strong indicator that if I were to apply for a new CC it would most likely be denied? I don't wanna risk a HP for nothing if I can avoid it. 

Message 1252 of 1,525
SUPERSQUID
Valued Contributor

@pip3man wrote:

So my question is, I am preparing to app for my 3rd card with Navy. Couple weeks ago I applied for a CLI which was partially approved for $6k than the regular $8k most folks seems to get. The denial letter says "you reached your maximum unsecured limit." Is this a strong indicator that if I were to apply for a new CC it would most likely be denied? I don't wanna risk a HP for nothing if I can avoid it. 

My last two cli's from navy also included the wordage of reaching their limits

my platinum was 1k sl and then went to 3k after the first cli.

my cash rewards was 3700 sl and then went to 9700 after the first cli , a 6k cli.

If your limit is under 4k the max cli they will give you is to up your limit to 3x, i think thats what they mean by reached internal limits.

You didnt state what your limit was before the cli so i cant say if this was the reason.

the max cli right now is 8k but if your limit is under 4k they will only raise your limit 3x even though you asked for 8k. 

{ BK7 DC 12/2019 } target 1600/ kohls Visa 7000/ discover IT cb 6500 / 2nd discover IT cb 6000/mercury 4100 / firestone 2800 /legacy 3000 /first savings bank cc 3000/ cap1 QS 5000/ cap 1 savor one 3100 /Bread rewards Amex 4k, Penfed PCR signature visa 10k/ penfed gold 7.5k NFCU >signature visa cash rewards 21700/bread cashback amex 8000

>/ nfcu platinum 15k, BABY NEEDS NEW SHOES !!!!!
closed-- reflex, applied bank, first digital, mission lane, ikea, fingerhut, big lots, valero gasoline, ollo, more to come
Rebuilding since September 2020
who i burned - chase, cap 1, TD bank, Sync, were the biggies
Income 40k
Total utilization around 20 pct depending on my current usage/needs
Ficos in the 680 - 690 range, the 9's slightly higher than the 8's
My vantage scores 708 - 711
TCL - about 110k
Retired since 2017
Message 1253 of 1,525
cczzll1611

@ZenMan wrote:

@cczzll1611 wrote:

I was denied a CLI for a very strange reason that I have no idea how to resolve or fix.

As I had mentioned in this post (which, sadly, no one was able to respond to), my Navy Federal credit score has not updated since Feb. 2022.

I called Equifax and they had NO IDEA what I was talking about or requesting to have happen. (Sadly, it might have been a language barrier since the person was clearly not US-based.) I pay for Experian, and my most recent Equifax score is from April 12 — so Equifax clearly has access to my scores.

Has this happened to anyone before? Does anyone know why this might be happening?

@cczzll1611, I had this precise issue occur back in July 2020, and while my issue was eventually resolved, I’m sorry to say that you’re likely in for a series of extremely frustrating calls/emails with both Equifax and NFCU, as each company will likely insist that it is the other that is at the root of this glitch.

In my case, my soft inquiry scores disappeared after consistently updating monthly through July 2020.  (I’ve been a member since 2018.)  When my updates hadn’t resumed by September 2020, I sent a Secure Message to NFCU asking for an explanation, in which I confirmed for them that nothing substantive in my credit file had changed:  no new name, address, SSN, employer, or tradelines; and no freezes of any kind on my Equifax report.  NFCU opened an IT ticket for me and assigned a senior representative to the case, who would call me from time to time to keep me apprised of what their investigation was uncovering.

The first thing that NFCU requested that I do was to make sure that my name appeared on my Equifax report exactly as it does on my NFCU profile. I noticed that NFCU used only my middle initial in my name, while Equifax spelled out my middle name (e.g., JOHN Q PUBLIC vs. JOHN QUENTIN PUBLIC).  So I contacted Equifax and “disputed” the spelling of my name (and uploaded copies of my SSN card, birth certificate, and driver’s license), and within 48 hours my name on my Equifax report matched what NFCU had to the letter.  But after waiting several months for the two companies’ systems to get in sync, nothing changed.  My score was still not updating by March 2021, and neither company could understand why.  I learned from the NFCU rep with whom I was in contact that until my Equifax scores were again available to NFCU, any request for a credit line increase was going to be automatically denied, so I contacted their Underwriting department and asked to speak with a manager.  They were able to see from the copious notes on my account that there was an ongoing problem obtaining the soft pull updates from Equifax for my account, but they did agree to consider me for a credit line increase on both my credit cards if I consented to a hard pull.  Since I had no inquiries on Equifax at the time, I agreed to the hard pull and my requests were granted.  So if you really want a credit line increase while you wait for your issue to get sorted, this may be the only option available to you.  (Frankly, I was surprised that if NFCU can’t access a soft pull score for whatever reason that they just don’t go ahead and perform a hard pull when a customer requests a credit line increase.)

Meanwhile, I was still working with Equifax and NFCU behind the scenes to remedy this vexing situation, and finally, a senior manager at Equifax thought he’d found something.  He claimed that according to their records, a “fraud alert” had been initiated by the customer (me), and that this could be the reason that the link between them and NFCU had been broken. I assured him that I had never contacted Equifax (or any of the bureaus) to request this alert, and he quickly removed it for me.  A few months went by, and in September 2021, my scores finally began appearing on the NFCU website!  In October 2021, more than six months after my hard pull credit line increases, I requested online increases for both my cards again, and both were granted within 24 hours (SP).  I repeated this process in April 2022, and again, both requests were granted (SP) – so it seems as if the linkage between NFCU and Equifax is definitely restored and my information is once again flowing freely between the two.

I know that everyone’s situation is different, but I do hope that you find something in the story that I’ve shared helpful.

Just wanted to update — sent NFCU a message, they confirmed they haven't gotten Equifax data since Feb. 2022. They told me to call Equifax. Called Equifax again. Told me to call NFCU. Called NFCU, they told me to see if my credit report was locked. (It's not.) Addresses match up. Names match up. (I only have one name and I never use my nickname on legal documents, bank accounts, credit cards etc. — ie: Elizabeth instead of Liz or Lizzie, for example). NFCU said there's nothing they can do, but to call back once scores start populating and they can do a hard pull.

Welp. Never looks like I'll get a CLI. Fully paid auto loan. Current auto loan. Never missed a CC payment. Member since 2016...but they seem so unwilling to actually figure out what's happening.

Message 1254 of 1,525
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@cczzll1611Your situation with EQ has split file written all over it. Ive been there and many others. Common on here. Try to pull your free annual credit report and go over it line by line. Even address numbers. EQ had me send in copys of DL, utility bill, ect. They fixed it. Then SunTrust now Truist approved the card. Came down to address is 11. Showed 12. One number.

Message 1255 of 1,525
pip3man
Valued Contributor

@SUPERSQUID wrote:

@pip3man wrote:

My last two cli's from navy also included the wordage of reaching their limits

my platinum was 1k sl and then went to 3k after the first cli.

my cash rewards was 3700 sl and then went to 9700 after the first cli , a 6k cli.

If your limit is under 4k the max cli they will give you is to up your limit to 3x, i think thats what they mean by reached internal limits.

You didnt state what your limit was before the cli so i cant say if this was the reason.

the max cli right now is 8k but if your limit is under 4k they will only raise your limit 3x even though you asked for 8k. 

Sorry I didn't include that info at first. But yeah the previous limit was $10k and after the CLI got bumped to $16k which also came with the denial letter. So I guess I'm just wondering if that's an indicator that they would be unwilling to extend credit on a new application? My FICO scores is 701.

Message 1256 of 1,525
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@cczzll1611 wrote:

@ZenMan wrote:

@cczzll1611 wrote:

I was denied a CLI for a very strange reason that I have no idea how to resolve or fix.

As I had mentioned in this post (which, sadly, no one was able to respond to), my Navy Federal credit score has not updated since Feb. 2022.

I called Equifax and they had NO IDEA what I was talking about or requesting to have happen. (Sadly, it might have been a language barrier since the person was clearly not US-based.) I pay for Experian, and my most recent Equifax score is from April 12 — so Equifax clearly has access to my scores.

Has this happened to anyone before? Does anyone know why this might be happening?

@cczzll1611, I had this precise issue occur back in July 2020, and while my issue was eventually resolved, I’m sorry to say that you’re likely in for a series of extremely frustrating calls/emails with both Equifax and NFCU, as each company will likely insist that it is the other that is at the root of this glitch.

In my case, my soft inquiry scores disappeared after consistently updating monthly through July 2020.  (I’ve been a member since 2018.)  When my updates hadn’t resumed by September 2020, I sent a Secure Message to NFCU asking for an explanation, in which I confirmed for them that nothing substantive in my credit file had changed:  no new name, address, SSN, employer, or tradelines; and no freezes of any kind on my Equifax report.  NFCU opened an IT ticket for me and assigned a senior representative to the case, who would call me from time to time to keep me apprised of what their investigation was uncovering.

The first thing that NFCU requested that I do was to make sure that my name appeared on my Equifax report exactly as it does on my NFCU profile. I noticed that NFCU used only my middle initial in my name, while Equifax spelled out my middle name (e.g., JOHN Q PUBLIC vs. JOHN QUENTIN PUBLIC).  So I contacted Equifax and “disputed” the spelling of my name (and uploaded copies of my SSN card, birth certificate, and driver’s license), and within 48 hours my name on my Equifax report matched what NFCU had to the letter.  But after waiting several months for the two companies’ systems to get in sync, nothing changed.  My score was still not updating by March 2021, and neither company could understand why.  I learned from the NFCU rep with whom I was in contact that until my Equifax scores were again available to NFCU, any request for a credit line increase was going to be automatically denied, so I contacted their Underwriting department and asked to speak with a manager.  They were able to see from the copious notes on my account that there was an ongoing problem obtaining the soft pull updates from Equifax for my account, but they did agree to consider me for a credit line increase on both my credit cards if I consented to a hard pull.  Since I had no inquiries on Equifax at the time, I agreed to the hard pull and my requests were granted.  So if you really want a credit line increase while you wait for your issue to get sorted, this may be the only option available to you.  (Frankly, I was surprised that if NFCU can’t access a soft pull score for whatever reason that they just don’t go ahead and perform a hard pull when a customer requests a credit line increase.)

Meanwhile, I was still working with Equifax and NFCU behind the scenes to remedy this vexing situation, and finally, a senior manager at Equifax thought he’d found something.  He claimed that according to their records, a “fraud alert” had been initiated by the customer (me), and that this could be the reason that the link between them and NFCU had been broken. I assured him that I had never contacted Equifax (or any of the bureaus) to request this alert, and he quickly removed it for me.  A few months went by, and in September 2021, my scores finally began appearing on the NFCU website!  In October 2021, more than six months after my hard pull credit line increases, I requested online increases for both my cards again, and both were granted within 24 hours (SP).  I repeated this process in April 2022, and again, both requests were granted (SP) – so it seems as if the linkage between NFCU and Equifax is definitely restored and my information is once again flowing freely between the two.

I know that everyone’s situation is different, but I do hope that you find something in the story that I’ve shared helpful.

Just wanted to update — sent NFCU a message, they confirmed they haven't gotten Equifax data since Feb. 2022. They told me to call Equifax. Called Equifax again. Told me to call NFCU. Called NFCU, they told me to see if my credit report was locked. (It's not.) Addresses match up. Names match up. (I only have one name and I never use my nickname on legal documents, bank accounts, credit cards etc. — ie: Elizabeth instead of Liz or Lizzie, for example). NFCU said there's nothing they can do, but to call back once scores start populating and they can do a hard pull.

Welp. Never looks like I'll get a CLI. Fully paid auto loan. Current auto loan. Never missed a CC payment. Member since 2016...but they seem so unwilling to actually figure out what's happening.

I don't think it's an NFCU problem. Sounds like you may have a "split file" (search here on the forums and you'll find out more info, including how to fix it).

ETA: @FireMedic1 beat me to it.

@pip3man, I think the fact that they only gave you $6k rather than the full $8k and saying you've reached their internal limit is a fairly strong indicator that you'd be denied for more credit right now. It's why we generally say to try for the new card FIRST, and THEN ask for a CLI on an existing account. That said, the internal limit can and will go up, if you just give it time. I'd hold off for 3-6 months on this 3rd app.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 1257 of 1,525
cashorcharge
Community Leader
Super Contributor

I was fortunate enough to get my CL reallocated a few months back by closing the MoreRewards and moving the entire CL to my Flagship.  I had just gotten a CLI on that card then moved it all over to the Flagship and closed it.  This was about 3 months into the 6 month CLI cycle on the Flagship. So now, I have come up on the 6 month timeframe to request my next CLI as I am $8000 away from $80K.  My CLI request was declined....the reallocation of the MoreRewards CL to the Flagship reset the 6 month clock.  Just passing this along if anyone successfully get a reallocation and then tries another CLI within 6 months....🥂

Message 1258 of 1,525
Falcon9
Valued Member

After getting a $8000 CLI on my AMEX More Rewards card last week tonight I decided to try for an identical $8000 CLI increase on my Visa Platinum.  Once again the approval was immediate.   The approval time for previous CLIs was not lengthy but "immediate" is nice.

Message 1259 of 1,525
pip3man
Valued Contributor

@cashorcharge wrote:

I was fortunate enough to get my CL reallocated a few months back by closing the MoreRewards and moving the entire CL to my Flagship.  I had just gotten a CLI on that card then moved it all over to the Flagship and closed it.  This was about 3 months into the 6 month CLI cycle on the Flagship. So now, I have come up on the 6 month timeframe to request my next CLI as I am $8000 away from $80K.  My CLI request was declined....the reallocation of the MoreRewards CL to the Flagship reset the 6 month clock.  Just passing this along if anyone successfully get a reallocation and then tries another CLI within 6 months....🥂

Yes this happened to me but in my case I had to call in to verify and that was when I was told the CLI eligibility will go off based on the date of the last change (increase) to the credit line on the account. So effectively a reallocation resets the clock. But good thing I reallocated like 2 weeks after I got an increase on my More Rewards so my clock only gets pushed out another 2 weeks

Message 1260 of 1,525
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.