Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy Federal Thread for CLI and Additional Cards

Senior Contributor

Re: Navy Federal Thread for CLI and Additional Cards

@UncleB wrote:

@Scarlet wrote:

Uncle B, now that I'm in with NFCU what are your thoughts about PenFed?

PenFed is great for many people... I don't have anything with them since when I was busy adding cards PenFed was going through a phase where they were denying people for "Pyramiding Debt" (thus all the "Egyptian" jokes) and I would have likely fallen under that.  They are said to have eased up somewhat now, but as I'm all set I've still not joined them - I've found NFCU and USAA to suit me well.  Smiley Happy

There is a PenFed data points thread that you might find helpful, and there's no shortage of folks around here who have been very successful with them!  Smiley Wink

USAA is great if you were in the service or had it handed down.. i was not so lucky.   Navy and PF for me Smiley Wink

Message 7551 of 8,666

@Jago22 wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@Scarlet wrote:

Uncle B, now that I'm in with NFCU what are your thoughts about PenFed?

PenFed is great for many people... I don't have anything with them since when I was busy adding cards PenFed was going through a phase where they were denying people for "Pyramiding Debt" (thus all the "Egyptian" jokes) and I would have likely fallen under that.  They are said to have eased up somewhat now, but as I'm all set I've still not joined them - I've found NFCU and USAA to suit me well.  Smiley Happy

There is a PenFed data points thread that you might find helpful, and there's no shortage of folks around here who have been very successful with them!  Smiley Wink

USAA is great if you were in the service or had it handed down.. i was not so lucky.   Navy and PF for me Smiley Wink

Yeah, I got really lucky with USAA myself.  I helped my grandfather join and purchase a cheap jewelry policy in late 2013, and he passed in 2016. 

Because of that one little $30 policy, my father, aunts, cousins, sister and myself are now all eligible for USAA products as well.  I knew about USAA due to my brothers who are members (they served so they qualify on their own).  I do my primary banking with them, and have a couple of their cards as well.  They aren't the best at everything, but the things they do well they are as solid as a rock.

For me USAA and NFCU work really well together; I'm sure for folks with NFCU and PenFed it's much the same. Smiley Very Happy

Message 7552 of 8,666
New Contributor

Good to know and thank you!

Lowest Starting Score 2018: 522
Highest Current Score 2018: 706
Goal Score: 720

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Lowest Starting Scores 2018:

522 TU FICO 8 02/2018
531 EX FICO 8 04/2018
550 EQ FICO 8 01/2018
616 EQ FICO 9 09/2018

Current Scores 10/30/2018:

691 TU FICO 8 10/2018
684 EX FICO 8 10/2018
686 EQ FICO 8 10/2018
706 EQ FICO 9 10/2018

$500 NFCU secured card | $200 Discover It secured card | $500 Victoria Secret card | $700 Kohls card | 1% total utilization | 2017 car loan balance 4,750 |

Message 7553 of 8,666
New Contributor

Ok. I will check it out. I just got a car loan in May and NFCU and Victoria Secrets (I know, I was weak and stupid the other day...lesson learned though) so I might need to go into the garden for at least 6 months (maybe a year?) and let them grow before I do PenFed. I will be looking for a "seedling" from you soon please. Smiley Happy

Lowest Starting Score 2018: 522
Highest Current Score 2018: 706
Goal Score: 720

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Lowest Starting Scores 2018:

522 TU FICO 8 02/2018
531 EX FICO 8 04/2018
550 EQ FICO 8 01/2018
616 EQ FICO 9 09/2018

Current Scores 10/30/2018:

691 TU FICO 8 10/2018
684 EX FICO 8 10/2018
686 EQ FICO 8 10/2018
706 EQ FICO 9 10/2018

$500 NFCU secured card | $200 Discover It secured card | $500 Victoria Secret card | $700 Kohls card | 1% total utilization | 2017 car loan balance 4,750 |

Message 7554 of 8,666
Senior Contributor

@UncleB

Because of that one little $30 policy, my father, aunts, cousins, sister and myself are now all eligible for USAA products as well.  I knew about USAA due to my brothers who are members (they served so they qualify on their own).  I do my primary banking with them, and have a couple of their cards as well.  They aren't the best at everything, but the things they do well they are as solid as a rock.

For me USAA and NFCU work really well together; I'm sure for folks with NFCU and PenFed it's much the same. Smiley Very Happy

For the most part. no 2.5% limitless tho Smiley Wink   PF is much more conservative than Navy, but still good.   Same as any other lender, where two profiles could be very close and one gets everything and the other gets decent, but not fantasic.    Very good loan rates, so that saves them even tho they tightened up on limits/CLI's.   

Message 7555 of 8,666

@Scarlet wrote:

Ok. I will check it out. I just got a car loan in May and NFCU and Victoria Secrets (I know, I was weak and stupid the other day...lesson learned though) so I might need to go into the garden for at least 6 months (maybe a year?) and let them grow before I do PenFed. I will be looking for a "seedling" from you soon please. Smiley Happy

It looks like you just upranked, so you permissions should have been updated allowing you to add it yourself.  Smiley Happy  Of course I'm always around if you need assistance.  Smiley Wink

Message 7556 of 8,666
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@Scarlet wrote:

It looks like you just upranked, so you permissions should have been updated allowing you to add it yourself.  Smiley Happy  Of course I'm always around if you need assistance.  Smiley Wink

Congrats scarlett..         When is mine going up UB?  Smiley Happy

Message 7557 of 8,666

@Jago22 wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@Scarlet wrote:

Congrats scarlett..         When is mine going up UB?  Smiley Happy

LOL... I wish I was privy to the magic formula, but they tell us nothing.  Smiley Sad

All I can contribute is that kudos mean nothing, and the rank is based on time spent on the forum, number of posts, length of membership, and (oddly) number of logins.  Oh, and the cut-off's are all odd numbers, to prevent people from gaming the system.

That's all I got.  Smiley Frustrated

Message 7558 of 8,666
Community Leader
Super Contributor

As usual, leave it to Navy to be cryptic. My attempt at 4 cards ended with this message in letter received yesterday:

EXTENUATING FACTORS EXIST REGARDING YOUR NFCU ACCOUNTSSmiley Wink

OCTOBER 26 2020
Message 7559 of 8,666
Senior Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
As usual, leave it to Navy to be cryptic. My attempt at 4 cards ended with this message in letter received yesterday:

EXTENUATING FACTORS EXIST REGARDING YOUR NFCU ACCOUNTSSmiley Wink

I just posted the same one yesterday.    when i called they said i had 3 accts and that was the max.   guess they dont know peghede Smiley Wink

Message 7560 of 8,666