cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy Federal Thread for CLI and Additional Cards

Established Contributor

Re: Navy Federal Thread for CLI and Additional Cards

@en1nety2 wrote:
Well this is weird. Got approved for 15k cloc, but denied a Flagship card.

Not really that weird. They're entirely different departments. Try to recon the card when you get the letter.

Starting Score: 647 TU/670 EX/680 EQ
Current Score:706 TU/671 EX/685 EQ
Goal Score:760/760/760

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Scores 1/1/19:
Current scores:

Hover over my cards to see my limits!
Goal: Garden time until 2020!
Message 8931 of 9,021

I did. They upholder the denial. Although they wouldn’t tell me why they said it didn’t have anything to to with the credit report or score. I think the cloc hit their max because I called back and applied for a gorewafds card and was approved for $500.
Message 8932 of 9,021
Established Contributor

@en1nety2 wrote:
I did. They upholder the denial. Although they wouldn’t tell me why they said it didn’t have anything to to with the credit report or score. I think the cloc hit their max because I called back and applied for a gorewafds card and was approved for $500.

Yeah the max exposure can be a problem. That's why I only went for $500 for my CLOC because I am low income.

Scores 1/1/19:
Current scores:

Message 8933 of 9,021
Highlighted

@en1nety2 wrote:

It sounds like that's the issue, since the minimum credit line for the Flagship is $5k.

Give it a few months and you'll probably be able to get the Flagship as well. 

Message 8934 of 9,021
Established Contributor

So now that I got my PayPal Cashback approval, my cashRewards both has a lower limit and a lower return rate so I'm thinking about PCing it to the Amex.

Question though - does the Amex have the Member Mall? Because the Member Mall gets me more money back than a 3% grocery card would and my cashRewards should be upgraded to Siggy soon too. But basically the PayPal card effectively SDs by cashRewards unless I am buying Xbox games (because of the Microsoft Store additional cashback) and I don't have a 3% grocery card so if the Amex still gets the Member Mall, I may do it, otherwise I'll apply for the Amex separately and ask them to take 1-2K from my CR to make it.

This now puts me up to 5 inquiries on TU though and while my credit score is now 54 points higher than it was, I'm not sure opening another account is something I want to do right now.

Besides, I just opened my last card with them 27 days ago so I will probably have to wait at least 6 months before they'll approve me for my third card but they'll definitely zap me a hard pull just for thinking about it.

Scores 1/1/19:
Current scores:

Message 8935 of 9,021
Valued Contributor

@Saeren wrote:

So now that I got my PayPal Cashback approval, my cashRewards both has a lower limit and a lower return rate so I'm thinking about PCing it to the Amex.

Question though - does the Amex have the Member Mall? Because the Member Mall gets me more money back than a 3% grocery card would and my cashRewards should be upgraded to Siggy soon too. But basically the PayPal card effectively SDs by cashRewards unless I am buying Xbox games (because of the Microsoft Store additional cashback) and I don't have a 3% grocery card so if the Amex still gets the Member Mall, I may do it, otherwise I'll apply for the Amex separately and ask them to take 1-2K from my CR to make it.

This now puts me up to 5 inquiries on TU though and while my credit score is now 54 points higher than it was, I'm not sure opening another account is something I want to do right now.

Besides, I just opened my last card with them 27 days ago so I will probably have to wait at least 6 months before they'll approve me for my third card but they'll definitely zap me a hard pull just for thinking about it.

I just logged in to check and indeed my AMEX has the member mall link. AAAthumbs_up_smiley.gif

Message 8936 of 9,021
Established Contributor

@Pikaboo-icu wrote:

@Saeren wrote:

I just logged in to check and indeed my AMEX has the member mall link. AAAthumbs_up_smiley.gif

Thank you!

And if I PC it, the new account will be a transfer so won't impact AAoA? I'm definitely going to be taking a bit of a beating with 3 more cards reporting but I shouldn't be under 2 years so it might not make a difference from where I'm at now but 4 new accounts might be the tipping point.

Scores 1/1/19:
Current scores:

Message 8937 of 9,021
Valued Contributor

@Saeren wrote:

Thank you!

And if I PC it, the new account will be a transfer so won't impact AAoA? I'm definitely going to be taking a bit of a beating with 3 more cards reporting but I shouldn't be under 2 years so it might not make a difference from where I'm at now but 4 new accounts might be the tipping point.

No worries..

That I don't know, I haven't ever pc'd a card with NFCU.

notsoAverageJoe knows, perhaps UncleB & a few others that frequent this thread.

Good Luck if & when you decide to do it. 

Message 8938 of 9,021

There's no AAoA ding for a PC, but IIRC the NFCU Amex is similar to the the Go Rewards in that there's a $50 minimum for a cash redemption (lower if you want a GC).  This was a deterrent for me personally.  Smiley Frustrated

Message 8939 of 9,021
Established Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

There's no AAoA ding for a PC, but IIRC the NFCU Amex is similar to the the Go Rewards in that there's a $50 minimum for a cash redemption (lower if you want a GC).  This was a deterrent for me personally.  Smiley Frustrated

Yeah there is a $50 minimum redemption which means if I use it for groceries only, I can do it once a year, which is a bit annoying, but its still 3% for groceries which I don't currently have. I suppose I could just get the PayPal Business Debit and earn 3% back on every purchase using the PP CB MC I just got approved for as funding but I am not really sold on the idea just yet because traditionally debit transactions aren't as safe as credit ones.

I just don't want to burn NFCU with no usage because as AJC pointed out on my approval thread, NFCU will be there for me a lot more than Sync ever would so going for the MoreRewards would make logical sense and also if I use it for anything that's available in the Member Mall, I can get that cash back sooner unless it goes as an instant statement credit. I guess that's something I should ask them. I'll probably call about it in March. I don't really want to change anything right now, everything is new with Sync and they can be kind of erratic. I still have BBVA hitting me in February or March and NFCU hitting me this month with my $2287 BT so if Sync gets spooked, I need to see how that plays out. 

And either way, Disco has my 1Q grocery spend regardless.

Scores 1/1/19:
Current scores:

Message 8940 of 9,021