Navy Federal Thread for CLI and Additional Cards

tag
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Navy Federal Thread for CLI and Additional Cards

@crys12065 wrote:

@Shooting-For-800 wrote:

I just could not take the rejection!

I applied for Cash Reward and was approved for a whopping $1000 at 15.24%.

I guess I should be happy I got my foot in the door even though it is by far my smallest limit?

Better than another decline I guess.

At least I will get the $250 sub out of all this mess.

Congrats on your approval! Navy be weird sometimes.

But I will say a year ago my first cc with them was only a $500 SL and now well they have extended me credit equal to my yearly salary.  So  I am a big believer in relationship and DTI with Navy bcause my scores while better than last April still aren't stellar. Give it 6 months and with your profile I wouldn't be surprised if you get a nice SL on a second card.  

+1... ^^^ this exactly.  Smiley Happy

Congrats on your approval, @Shooting-For-800... I know it's not what you were hoping for, but like you mentioned now you're "in", and with a little time and patience they'll be rolling out the red carpet for you.  Smiley Wink

(Some around here scoff at "getting in" with lenders - sometimes rightfully so - but IMHO Navy is one of the exceptions; with a little history they can really warm up to you.)

Message 9431 of 17,187
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Hey CongratsSmiley Happy just wait, in December youll be raking in the joy and you will be the one telling the newbs patience is the keySmiley Wink
Message 9432 of 17,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Shooting-For-800 wrote:

I just could not take the rejection!

I applied for Cash Reward and was approved for a whopping $1000 at 15.24%.

I guess I should be happy I got my foot in the door even though it is by far my smallest limit?

Better than another decline I guess.

At least I will get the $250 sub out of all this mess.

I applied for my first NFCU card back in October 2018.  I didn't have a lower interest, no BT fee card so naturally their Platinum appealed to me especially seeing near daily approvals for large limits.  At the time I was somewhere around 820-835 TU F9 with a DTI of 16%.  I wasn't looking to blow the doors off with a massive SL.  I'm very happy when my CLs are 10k minimum and it wouldn't be unrealistic to think that a 10k approval from NFCU would be a problem.

I was approved for $4200 which is one of my lowest SLs ever and well below my average CL.  I talked to another person here with a very similar profile and scores also in the 800's who applied at the same time for the Platinum and got 6k.

I admit I was a little bitter on this approval(still am).  I didn't even bother posting in the approvals section and I even thought about closing it.  I would see people in the 500s with collections, a late payment here and there, get approved for 15-25k SLs when their highest CL in history has been 1k.  I'm thrilled for people who fit that profile and there is no other creditor that would take a chance like NFCU does.  I really wish I would have known about NFCU when I started building my credit 20+ years ago.

I will have over 7 statements and will be over 6 months when I request a CLI as soon as the new scores post in May.  I have zero interest in applying for any more credit cards for the rest of my life so getting a 2nd card from NFCU isn't going to happen(at least if I'm sober..lol).

I'm still scratching my head on this one but it is what it is.  I know they have the potential to open up the wallet and I'm honestly in no hurry to play the CLI game as that is all I have left to do with my profile.

My point is that something in that computer algorithm assigned me the CL and assigned you 1K and we will never know why.  The more I think about it, the more confusing it seems.  Even though I still feel I got the shaft, I'm very happy overall with NFCU as their generosity to other members is second to none IMO.  It really is an amazing organization.

I'll post my CLI results in a few weeks. 

Message 9433 of 17,187
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

So to recap...

Denied for NFCU Flagship

Approved for $1000 NFCU Cash Rewards

yet...

CLI of $2.5k on Paypal  (all I asked for)

CLI of $5k on Lowes  (all I asked for)

CLI of $2k on Discover

2-3 day pending on CLI for 2nd Discover

and...

prequaled or preapproved for 

Regions cards including Premium Siggy  

BBVA cards

US Bank cards including Siggy

Home Depot card

all within the same 3 days.

So weird.  I really hope NFCU as good as people say.  Time will tell.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 9434 of 17,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Turned down for the cash rewards 2 hours after the Under Review message.  Turned down for an auto refi on my truck with my wife as a cosigner immediately.  Called in and was told it was due to my cosigner so we redid the app with just me.  Went under review because the current lender was closed for the day.  Got an email a few hours later stating it was declined so I called in this morning to ask why.  I was told it was due to past delinquent credit obligations (our BK).  So the whole 1 year wait after a BK discharge isn't their requirement apparently.  We've re-established our credit since the discharge including their secured credit card for my wife which graduated a few months ago.  We pay in full every month and other credit we established has been excellent with no late payments whatsoever.  I really don't know what NFCU wants from me before approving me for anything.  Scores are in the mid 600s too so those shouldn't be an issue.  DTI is low.

I give up on NFCU.

@TexasFamMan I know it’s frustrating being declined, but the key is to remain persistent and let your relationship with NFCU mature; you can help that cause by getting your own NFCU secured card and not relying on just being an AU on your wife’s card.  Although most of the information found on this forum is top notch and pretty straight on, there are times when what we see posted or even hear from a CSR isn’t always accurate.  The saying YMMV rings true with NFCU.

i started my rebuild with NFCU in Aug of 2017 after my BK7.  I took everyone’s advise and got a secured card that graduated at the 11 month mark.  I applied for and got a CLOC for $4500 in Oct 2017.  In May 2018, only 10 months post BK I got approved for a $1000 CR card.  In Apr 2018 I got a CLI to $10,000 on my CLOC.  And finally just today, after two declines and only  21 months post BK I got a $2000 CLI on my CR card. So it doesn’t take a year after BK to get a CC from NFCU, and you don’t have to wait until the 2yr mark to get more than a $1000 credit product from them.  

It will take some time to mature your relationship with NFCU after an event like a BK, but as that relationship builds you will see the flood gates open and more opportunities will be available for you.  June 26th marks two years since my BK, and NFCU has been a huge part of my rebuild.  I consider people like you and I lucky that we even have the opportunity to be a member with NFCU, as many people that post here cant.  I have been with them for 29 years, joined in 1989 when I served in the Navy and feel lucky to have that opportunity.  Take a breath, regroup, apply for your own secured card, and watch everything grow.  Once you get that secured card to graduate, I am positive you will be signing a different tune regarding NFCU.  

Remember, the turtle always won the race...

Message 9435 of 17,187
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Well today hits my six month mark from last increase on my amex. My question is do I wait for 6 months and a day like the 91 days, or is it safe to hit them up at 6 month mark?
EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 9436 of 17,187
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Navy Federal Thread for CLI and Additnal Cards

Lol, take an extra day to be safe MomSmiley Wink
Message 9437 of 17,187
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Thanks AJC.

I will wait Now I am very diligent in writing down dates for CLI I have down Oct 14 but when I look at TU they pulled Oct 15 sooo I will now wait til Oct 16 just to be safe
EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 9438 of 17,187
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Ok rechecked dates 6 months and a day from last CLI.

Went for dh's first, instant approval 18k -22k, so far no HP.

Mine I think I might have asked for too much but thought they may counter, 10K asked for 25K, under review . Poooo I have never gotten under review in past requests. So I guess wait and seeSmiley Sad

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 9439 of 17,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone for the encouraging replies.  I apologize; I was just frustrated because NFCU told me the only reason in the past year why I couldn't get an approval was due to the BK, and that they required 1 year after the discharge.  I know it's a black eye on the credit and I take full responsibility for it.  I'll give it a bit and try it again in another few months as hopefully by then my Discover will finally graduate.  Still don't understand why it hasn't after reading all of these posts about others getting theirs to graduate at 7 months whereas mine is nearly a year now.  Even my wife's NFCU card graduated right around the time we expected it to.

Message 9440 of 17,187
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.