Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy Federal Thread for CLI and Additional Cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Navy Federal Thread for CLI and Additnal Cards

@TexasFamMan
We can understand and alot of us can relate to your struggles. The forums are an awesome place for people to come together and help each other out. Navy has helped alot of us out and I'm positive you'll be able to say the same. With some more time I'm sure you'll be singing thier praises.

Keep us posted on your progress!
Message 9441 of 17,187
Cred4All
Valued Contributor

I've read hours upon hours of these Navy threads, and have been pretty impressed.  So impressed as a matter of fact, I bit the bullet and joined NFCU today.  After verification tomorrow, I was planning on app'ing the Flagship but now that I've read some of these posts (*chills,) may adjust course to the Cash Rewards and see where the limits fall.  Will be sure to update with info as you all did in previous posts.  I know they SP'd TU for membership but will HP on the app, which currently TU sits at 800.

Crossing fingers.

Message 9442 of 17,187
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Cred4All wrote:

I've read hours upon hours of these Navy threads, and have been pretty impressed.  So impressed as a matter of fact, I bit the bullet and joined NFCU today.  After verification tomorrow, I was planning on app'ing the Flagship but now that I've read some of these posts (*chills,) may adjust course to the Cash Rewards and see where the limits fall.  Will be sure to update with info as you all did in previous posts.  I know they SP'd TU for membership but will HP on the app, which currently TU sits at 800.

Crossing fingers.

Congrats on joining NFCU!  Smiley Very Happy

At the risk of jinxing it, I would honestly go for the Flagship.  With your scores and the other cards you already have I suspect you'll have no trouble at all, and the Flagship has a really good bonus right now.  Smiley Wink

As you've likely already read scores aren't everything with NFCU, but unless your utilization is really out-of-whack (technical term... LOL) I'll be surprised if you don't get a generous approval.

Message 9443 of 17,187
Cred4All
Valued Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@Cred4All wrote:

Crossing fingers.

At the risk of jinxing it, I would honestly go for the Flagship.  With your scores and the other cards you already have I suspect you'll have no trouble at all, and the Flagship has a really good bonus right now.  Smiley Wink

As you've likely already read scores aren't everything with NFCU, but unless your utilization is really out-of-whack (technical term... LOL) I'll be surprised if you don't get a generous approval.

Appreciate the advice...  yea, got spooked there reading about the Flagship possibly being 'Up the chain' so...   That being said, for the low annual fee it really does pay for itself, and the SUB right now is definitely easily doable.  My utilization today is showing 5% (No thanks to the dogs surgery on the Discover) and 0 inquiries on TU, so nothing crazy in my own view.  Ultimately, that is the card I'm interested in so, perhaps if the jinx occurred and it was denied, no harm no foul. 

Message 9444 of 17,187
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Cred4All wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@Cred4All wrote:

Crossing fingers.

Appreciate the advice...  yea, got spooked there reading about the Flagship possibly being 'Up the chain' so...   That being said, for the low annual fee it really does pay for itself, and the SUB right now is definitely easily doable.  My utilization today is showing 5% (No thanks to the dogs surgery on the Discover) and 0 inquiries on TU, so nothing crazy in my own view.  Ultimately, that is the card I'm interested in so, perhaps if the jinx occurred and it was denied, no harm no foul. 

With only 5% utilization I'll be genuinely shocked if you're not approved for the Flagship. 

FWIW, the only thing 'up the chain' with the Flagship is the minimum $5k credit line, but I don't see that being a concern for you (based on your utilization and the cards you already carry).

Be sure to let us know how it goes!  Smiley Happy

Message 9445 of 17,187
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Re: Navy Federal Thread for CLI and Additional Cards

@Shooting-For-800 wrote:

So to recap...

Denied for NFCU Flagship

Approved for $1000 NFCU Cash Rewards

yet...

CLI of $2.5k on Paypal  (all I asked for)

CLI of $5k on Lowes  (all I asked for)

CLI of $2k on Discover

2-3 day pending on CLI for 2nd Discover

and...

prequaled or preapproved for 

Regions cards including Premium Siggy  

BBVA cards

US Bank cards including Siggy

Home Depot card

all within the same 3 days.

So weird.  I really hope NFCU as good as people say.  Time will tell.

Still can’t figure out NFCU.

Just got instant $10k SL Regions Siggy that pulled from TU also after getting denied and $1k from NFCU and Regions is a conservative bank.

$10k also in CLIs so far this week.

I got denied and $1k on a 745 score Then I see an instant $10k NFCU approval on a 570 score in another thread.

Just so confused...

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 9446 of 17,187
forestgreenrover
Regular Contributor

@Shooting-For-800 wrote:

@Shooting-For-800 wrote:

So to recap...

Denied for NFCU Flagship

Approved for $1000 NFCU Cash Rewards

yet...

CLI of $2.5k on Paypal  (all I asked for)

CLI of $5k on Lowes  (all I asked for)

CLI of $2k on Discover

2-3 day pending on CLI for 2nd Discover

and...

prequaled or preapproved for 

Regions cards including Premium Siggy  

BBVA cards

US Bank cards including Siggy

Home Depot card

all within the same 3 days.

So weird.  I really hope NFCU as good as people say.  Time will tell.

Still can’t figure out NFCU.

Just got instant $10k SL Regions Siggy that pulled from TU also after getting denied and $1k from NFCU and Regions is a conservative bank.

$10k also in CLIs so far this week.

I got denied and $1k on a 745 score Then I see an instant $10k NFCU approval on a 570 score in another thread.

Just so confused...

Here is another good reason why comparing NFCU approvals from one borrower to another isn't always helpful or illustrative. 

In most cases we see, new NFCU members with extremely low scores that get approved for crazy SLs simply aren't carrying 30k in balances. In fact, I've never seen an approval with DPs anywhere close that I can recall. Yes, these low score borrowers may have UTI over, say, 9%, but if they do, we're typically talking a few hundred bucks to maybe 1-2k. And Navy isn't about to sweat that. Granted, none of us are in their UW dept (at least AFAIK), but that has to have been the primary reason, even if they tell you something different. 

Meanwhile, comparing an NFCU approval to that of another lender, even a CU, can be tricky and not all that useful as well because they are practically incomparable. 

AmEx Gold, BECU Cash Back 38k, PSECU Founders Visa Sig 30k, IKEA Projekt 28k, NFCU CashRewards 28k, Macy's AmEx 25k, NFCU More Rewards 24.5k, PNC Cash Rewards Visa Sig 20k, PNC Core 20k, Lowe's 17k, Overstock.com 16k, NFCU Plat 15.3k, FNBO Visa 12.3k, AmEx BCP 12k, AmEx EDP 12k, Citi DC 11k, AmEx Delta Gold SkyMiles 10k, PayPal 2% 10k, NFCU CLOC 10k, BBVA Clear Points 9.5k, Amazon Store 8k, Discover it 7.9k, PenFed Power Cash 6.25k, Kay 5.25k, Huntington Voice Plat 5.1k, J.Crew 4.5k, 5/3rd Trio 4k, Citizens Cash Back+ 3.8k, BB&T Bright 3.5k, BB&T Spectrum CR 3.5k, WF Cash Wise 3k, Huntington Voice Rewards 2.9k, WF Propel 2k, BECU Visa 2k, Citi Goodyear 1.9k, Cap 1 QS 1.75k, Cap 1 QS 1.45k
Message 9447 of 17,187
rbentley
Established Contributor

I totally agree with you that you can't compare Navy to other lenders, they are exceptionally generous in the CL and scores they accept.  I do take issue with your explanation for that behavior.  It strains credulity that Navy UW would look at someones profile and say "low scores, lots of baddies but he/she probably won't use a lot of credit, so we will just give them $30,000 and all will be good."  Lenders have to set aside reserves to cover their credit limits.  They can't just willy-nilly and arbitrarily hand out limits becaquse they have to have financial reserves backing thos limits.  This is exactly the reason AmEx is doing CLDs on people with accounts in good standing.  AmEx looks and says "You have a CL of $30,000 but you are only running $2-3,000 a month through the account.  We are going to cut your limits in half to $15,000 and you should still be more than good."  Their reserves and amount they have to carry on their books as a contingent liability decreases and their profitability (at least on the books) should improve.

So what explains Navy approvals and their high SLs?  Who knows.  The conventional wisdom on here is that they are hard to figure out.  Let's continue to collect data points and celebrate high limits but they are a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma, and defy explanation.  Let's hope the party doesn't end.

Message 9448 of 17,187
Cred4All
Valued Contributor

Just app'd for the Flagship Rewards via phone.  She stated they can of course be accepted within 10 seconds or go to review for 24hrs.  Mine went to review Smiley Happy.  I'm flattered for the extra attention I suppose, and will update as to whether the Flagship is approved or told to pound salt.

Message 9449 of 17,187
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

@forestgreenrover wrote:

Here is another good reason why comparing NFCU approvals from one borrower to another isn't always helpful or illustrative. 

In most cases we see, new NFCU members with extremely low scores that get approved for crazy SLs simply aren't carrying 30k in balances. In fact, I've never seen an approval with DPs anywhere close that I can recall. Yes, these low score borrowers may have UTI over, say, 9%, but if they do, we're typically talking a few hundred bucks to maybe 1-2k. And Navy isn't about to sweat that. Granted, none of us are in their UW dept (at least AFAIK), but that has to have been the primary reason, even if they tell you something different. 

Meanwhile, comparing an NFCU approval to that of another lender, even a CU, can be tricky and not all that useful as well because they are practically incomparable. 

So you think it is completely logical to deny someone with a 745 fico score for $5k and only approved them for a different card for $1k when they are at 12% of their utilization but approve someone for $10k with a 570 fico score.

You mention dollar amounts, but the new $10k SL could be maxed out in a week and now you are comparing someone with a 520 fico score to someone with a 745 fico score who only owes $15k more and has 0 late payments and six figure income and much more money in his checking account than what he owes (all of which are on 0% promo credit cards.)

BTW - it is not like every other bank feels the same.  AFTER being denied, I was instantly approved for $10k siggy and CLIs.

You really think that makes complete sense?

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 9450 of 17,187
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.