Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy Federal Thread for CLI and Additional Cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Navy Federal Thread for CLI and Additional Cards

Navy Federal Response 06/13/2019 : Thank you for your message. We conducted a second review of your recent application for a Platinum Visa credit card. However, after careful consideration, we have determined that we must stand behind our original decision. 
Our records indicate that you were recently approved for a Visa Signature cashRewards credit card account on June 10, 2019. Our current policy does not allow granting additional credit card account if you have a credit card account opened within 90 days. Due to this policy and the timing of this request, we regret that we are unable to offer a more favorable reply. Should you have any further questions, please let us know.
Message 9801 of 17,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

Its always going to be 90 days for like products, at least. The recommendation is 6 months for optimal results. She definitely gave you the wrong advice. With reaponsible use the next card should be killer.

Good luck!
Message 9802 of 17,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Navy Federal Response 06/13/2019 : Thank you for your message. We conducted a second review of your recent application for a Platinum Visa credit card. However, after careful consideration, we have determined that we must stand behind our original decision. 
Our records indicate that you were recently approved for a Visa Signature cashRewards credit card account on June 10, 2019. Our current policy does not allow granting additional credit card account if you have a credit card account opened within 90 days. Due to this policy and the timing of this request, we regret that we are unable to offer a more favorable reply. Should you have any further questions, please let us know.

That is unfortunate for the misinfo, but provided you have good history with Navy and low DTI, your score isnt really a factor in 2nd card.  At least it wasn't in my case but YMMV.    Just have to use and pay, built that relationship (they actually value that unlike other lenders) and you will be solid to get what you want from them. 

Also for the newer members, if you get a denial with: you have reached maximum unsecured with NFCU, that 90% of the time is just the way they say we need more time with you.  You have an internal limit/score (they won't tell us what it is) but as you build history that goes up, and they will open up.  Keep your DTI low, and build history so that you can have sky's the limit with Navy. 

Message 9803 of 17,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

That is unfortunate for the misinfo, but provided you have good history with Navy and low DTI, your score isnt really a factor in 2nd card.  At least it wasn't in my case but YMMV.    Just have to use and pay, built that relationship (they actually value that unlike other lenders) and you will be solid to get what you want from them. 

Also for the newer members, if you get a denial with: you have reached maximum unsecured with NFCU, that 90% of the time is just the way they say we need more time with you.  You have an internal limit/score (they won't tell us what it is) but as you build history that goes up, and they will open up.  Keep your DTI low, and build history so that you can have sky's the limit with Navy. 

my DTI is like 12% so I think im good there. So should i spend like 50% the limit a month and then pif every month so they see i can be a good spender but responsible? or maybe like 25%?

Message 9804 of 17,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

my DTI is like 12% so I think im good there. So should i spend like 50% the limit a month and then pif every month so they see i can be a good spender but responsible? or maybe like 25%?

That is good DTI for sure..    Based on DP's here, I'm not sure that it really matters how much of your CL you spend, just using it and paying it off each month. Keep that DTI low, and you should be good in 6 months. 

Message 9805 of 17,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

Navy does it again! 15K approval at 15.24 APR Platinum Mastercard.  This is my 3rd and final card with Navy since I joined in August of 2018.  My first card was the Cash Rewards @ 1,000 limit. Just over 3 months later I applied for the my 2nd Card 15,000 Flagship.  I opened the Flagship in November 2018 and ran a total amout of $34,075.23 spend through it.  My scores are in the 640's to 650's with income of $146,000.  Super low DTI which helped in the case! Go Navy! Remember spend and treat them right and they will be good to us.

Message 9806 of 17,187
Nayola
Contributor

My husband just requested and received a CLI from $8,200 to $16,200 on his Visa Platinum Card.  First he received the 24-hour message.  Then the next day Credit Karma alerted that there was an inquiry from Equifax.  He checked his account and saw that the new limit appeared.

His account with Navy has been open for seven months.  His Equifax Fico Score is 737. 

Message 9807 of 17,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a Few questions, I’m approaching my 90th day 6/17 three statements cut already with the third having a due date of 7/2.

I was originally approved for the CashRewards card for $700 my EQ was in the high fives. My score has not changed however I have been in good standing with my account and my CC only carrying a balance of about $40-50 per statement. My annual income is in the 80-90k range.

My questions
1. Anyone have experience receiving a CLI when their credit score hasn’t changed ?

2. Should I try for a CLI on that card or apply for another card.

3. What card is a better option ?
Message 9808 of 17,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote: ... I was originally approved for the CashRewards card for $700 my EQ was in the high fives ...

For sure, I would not try for a CLI. Applying for a 2nd card might work, might not. 

On your current trajectory @ 6 months you'd be sitting in a more favorable position.

I would wait.

Message 9809 of 17,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I have a Few questions, I’m approaching my 90th day 6/17 three statements cut already with the third having a due date of 7/2.

I was originally approved for the CashRewards card for $700 my EQ was in the high fives. My score has not changed however I have been in good standing with my account and my CC only carrying a balance of about $40-50 per statement. My annual income is in the 80-90k range.

My questions
1. Anyone have experience receiving a CLI when their credit score hasn’t changed ?

3. What card is a better option ?

I would probably hold off on doing anything except actions that will increase your scores, the approval of a SL of 700 means they felt you were marginally acceptable for their guidelines, if you are not sure what is in your profile that they don't like it would be worth it to explore that and address it as best you can.  Without that kind of information and scores DTI etc its hard to give a reccomendation.  All of us Navy members come on here and see some amazing limits being given to folks with low scores and that can be misleading and make us have a false sense of what we should expect.  I was in that exact position.  At most I would try for a CLI, I would not go after another card until they give you an indication (via CLI) that your profile is view positively by them.  In almost every case I can recall where someone with a low limit or secured card that received a nice limit increase or another approval had improvements in scores in addition to a favorable history with Navy.

Message 9810 of 17,187
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.