Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy Federal Thread for CLI and Additional Cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Navy Federal Thread for CLI and Additional Cards

I just sent them a secured message. I think that is how most people do it. Some people have success with it, so I tried. I got the message at midnight that they were upholding the original decision, which is a bummer, but again, not totally surprising. Oh well.
Message 10081 of 17,187
ZenMan
Valued Member

Hi, everyone.  I certainly don't want to appear ungrateful -- having just pulled off an unexpected one-hard-pull-only "Triple Play" earlier this week -- but I do have an underwriting question that perhaps some of the NFCU experts here can answer.  Specifically, what is the logic behind, in my case, denying a request to increase the credit limit on my first card from $2,500 to $10,000 (counter-offered with $5,000, which was accepted without recon), only to approve me, literally moments later, for a second card with a whopping $25,000 SL?  In order to preserve my Average Age of Accounts, my strategy was simply to get my first card's (cashRewards) limit above the $5,000 threshold and then convert that to the Flagship card.  But had I not pored over this thread for months, NFCU's decision to give me only 1/3 of the amount I requested would've disheartened me and made me think that perhaps I was asking for too much too soon -- or that I'd hit my "internal limit" with them.  So instead of taking their counteroffer as a rejection, I decided to throw caution to the wind and just apply for the Flagship, which I was thankfully granted.  But why?  I mean, if I don't deserve an additional $7,500 on a card that they have 13 month's of history on, why would the underwriters turn around and give me $25,000 on a second card?  Not that I'm angry, mind you . . . . Smiley Tongue

I'm curious, does NFCU allow you to reallocate part of one credit card's limit to another card?

Message 10082 of 17,187
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@ZenMan wrote:

Hi, everyone.  I certainly don't want to appear ungrateful -- having just pulled off an unexpected one-hard-pull-only "Triple Play" earlier this week -- but I do have an underwriting question that perhaps some of the NFCU experts here can answer.  Specifically, what is the logic behind, in my case, denying a request to increase the credit limit on my first card from $2,500 to $10,000 (counter-offered with $5,000, which was accepted without recon), only to approve me, literally moments later, for a second card with a whopping $25,000 SL?  In order to preserve my Average Age of Accounts, my strategy was simply to get my first card's (cashRewards) limit above the $5,000 threshold and then convert that to the Flagship card.  But had I not pored over this thread for months, NFCU's decision to give me only 1/3 of the amount I requested would've disheartened me and made me think that perhaps I was asking for too much too soon -- or that I'd hit my "internal limit" with them.  So instead of taking their counteroffer as a rejection, I decided to throw caution to the wind and just apply for the Flagship, which I was thankfully granted.  But why?  I mean, if I don't deserve an additional $7,500 on a card that they have 13 month's of history on, why would the underwriters turn around and give me $25,000 on a second card?  Not that I'm angry, mind you . . . . Smiley Tongue

I'm curious, does NFCU allow you to reallocate part of one credit card's limit to another card?

Yes, but I'm not sure how soon after you get the card that it can be done.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 10083 of 17,187
IodineNightSky
Regular Contributor

i initially got approved for a 500$ CR from navy. at 91/3 i asked for a CLI and applied for a flagship card.

was completely denied on the CLI request so the card stayed at 500$. at the same time, they approved me for 15k on the flag. 

this was about 6-7 months ago. 

i sent them a message the next day (before i had the flag in hand) and asked them to reallocate 5k from flag to CR. my reason stated was somethign like "i can't really buy anything substantial on teh CR so can i please move 5k of the flag limit to the CR?" they did so the same day and that left me with a 5.5k CR and 10k flag. 

again, that was 6-7 months ago. i assume they still reallocate but havent tried it since 6-7 months ago. 

Current FICO 8s:
EQ: 712 - TU: 719 - EX: 707
Mortgage Ficos: EQ5: 708 - TU4: 729 - EX2: 700
Current Middle Mortgage Score: 708
Goal Scores: 740+

Message 10084 of 17,187
ZenMan
Valued Member

@IodineNightSky wrote:

i sent them a message the next day (before i had the flag in hand) and asked them to reallocate 5k from flag to CR. my reason stated was somethign like "i can't really buy anything substantial on teh CR so can i please move 5k of the flag limit to the CR?" they did so the same day and that left me with a 5.5k CR and 10k flag. 

again, that was 6-7 months ago. i assume they still reallocate but havent tried it since 6-7 months ago. 

Excellent datapoint, @IodineNightsky.  Thank you for sharing!

Message 10085 of 17,187
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

My 91st day came today.

After my ridiculous denial for Flagship and approval for $1k Cash Rewards, I decided to listen to everyone and wait 91 days.

Backstory:  had 745 Fico, 333 NFCU internal score, six figure income, multiple $10k - $30k credit cards, under 17% util, etc.

Yep, 745 gets $1k while 550-650 Ficos are getting $25k.  Bizarro world.

Today, 91 days later, I was instantly approved for $20k Flagship.  Little disappointed it was not $25k, but still happy.

I was also approved for $2k cli making my first card $3k CL which I believe is the most possible since my SL was $1k.

Ironically, my Fico was 740, I opened 3 new cards in the last 90 days, more inquiries, etc.

My new Flagship will be my go to card now especially for the next 90 days.

Hopefully I can grow it and my relationship with NFCU.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 10086 of 17,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Shooting-For-800 wrote:

My 91st day came today.

After my ridiculous denial for Flagship and approval for $1k Cash Rewards, I decided to listen to everyone and wait 91 days.

Backstory:  had 745 Fico, 333 NFCU internal score, multiple $10k - $30k credit cards, under 17% util, etc.

Today, 91 days later, I was instantly approved for $20k Flagship.  Little disappointed it was not $25k, but still happy.

I was also approved for $2k cli making my first card $3k CL which I believe is the most possible since my SL was $1k.

Ironically, my Fico was 740, I opened 3 new cards in the last 90 days, more inquiries, etc.

Congrats, although I have to be honest & say I will miss scrolling over your CR card image & seeing “$1K- yep, $1K!” LOL!

Message 10087 of 17,187
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Shooting-For-800 wrote:

My 91st day came today.

Backstory:  had 745 Fico, 333 NFCU internal score, multiple $10k - $30k credit cards, under 17% util, etc.

Congrats, although I have to be honest & say I will miss scrolling over your CR card image & seeing “$1K- yep, $1K!” LOL!

LOL!  It was bitter sweet, but decided to retire it for now.  

I spent like $5k or $6k on a $1k card in 3 months.  LOL!

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 10088 of 17,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Shooting-For-800 wrote:

My 91st day came today.

Backstory:  had 745 Fico, 333 NFCU internal score, six figure income, multiple $10k - $30k credit cards, under 17% util, etc.

Congrats!

You treated Navy right and they rewarded you, enjoy! Smiley Happy

Message 10089 of 17,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

Same scenario happened with me, I ended up closing my $3K Cash Rewards and transferring the $3K onto my Flagship. Got the Cash Rewards again on my 3rd Card.
Message 10090 of 17,187
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.