Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy Federal Thread for CLI and Additional Cards

tag
CBTS
Frequent Contributor

Re: Navy Federal Thread for CLI and Additional Cards

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
@AnonymousI never get an email with denials. Lol, not even on approvals rare they may be. Always letters in the msilSmiley Wink

Same here, they never sent me an email. I was curious so I decided to call them this morning because it's been 3 days since I applied - the CLI request was indeed denied. I'm not surprised at all because I just found out my DTI shot up from 14% to 34% because of 2 new auto loans (only 1 is supposed to show). I was actually planning on applying for the second card + CLI before the new auto loan but I didn't realize the other CU would report it so soon. I'm in fact lucky to even get the instant approval on Flagship for $10,000 with my credit + DTI the way it is currently. I'm absolutely ecstatic to get my first 5-digit SL again in a long time!

Data points:

Overall UT: <5%

120+/3 since my first card

21 month old CH7 disharge

EQ FICO 09: 686

EQ FICO 08: 653 (was 676 before the 2 new loans reported)

TU FICO 08: 642 (was 665 before new loans)

Message 10351 of 17,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just got mine today with old design. PC’d a week to early. Lol
Message 10352 of 17,187
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Just got mine today with old design. PC’d a week to early. Lol

Request a replacement card. 

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 10353 of 17,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

I REALLLY want this AMEX card. I was planning on holding off until November or December to apply, but I'd like to get the start-up bonus. Am disappointed (and surprised) that this offer expires at the end of October, though it's great that the offer exists in the first place! 

Does Navy usually or often have a start-up bonus for the AMEX card? If I wait will I be likely to see an equally tempting offer in December or November?

My three statements and 91 days comes up later this month, so I could apply. My credit profile hasn't dramatically changed since I was approved for a cash Rewards card in June, though I do have a modest balance reporting on my Disco card which I didn't when was approved for my first Navy card. My util is going down each month (as it does) and my debt to income ratio is the same (about 19%). My TU score has gone up only a point (it went down after the Navy card in June and has since gone back up). Always paid my cash Rewards card on time and in full.

This would be my second card with Navy. I'll pull the trigger and take a shot later this month if I have a decent chance at being accepted... Any suggestions would be welcome! 

Message 10354 of 17,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I REALLLY want this AMEX card. I was planning on holding off until November or December to apply, but I'd like to get the start-up bonus. Am disappointed (and surprised) that this offer expires at the end of October, though it's great that the offer exists in the first place! 

Does Navy usually or often have a start-up bonus for the AMEX card? If I wait will I be likely to see an equally tempting offer in December or November?

My three statements and 91 days comes up later this month, so I could apply. My credit profile hasn't dramatically changed since I was approved for a cash Rewards card in June, though I do have a modest balance reporting on my Disco card which I didn't when was approved for my first Navy card. My util is going down each month (as it does) and my debt to income ratio is the same (about 19%). My TU score has gone up only a point (it went down after the Navy card in June and has since gone back up). Always paid my cash Rewards card on time and in full.

This would be my second card with Navy. I'll pull the trigger and take a shot later this month if I have a decent chance at being accepted... Any suggestions would be welcome! 

Go for it.

You look to be in a better spot than I was at card 2 and I got a plat at $15k but ymmv.

Navy is good for second cards as I have found out. All you have to really lose is a hard pull :/

Message 10355 of 17,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey, @uncleB can you help me with my signature? I tried images but they all came out funky, so tried a text only, looks okay but boring to read. I want the cool credit score numbers boxes then the cool CC's in boxes with limits, etc. 

I have learned so much from here, I want to also share what I learned on my own, plus share my progress, (although slow), but if I say so myself, I am not doing too bad after a bad time about 6 years ago, (co-sign), ate me alive.

Message 10356 of 17,187
omgitsMatt
Frequent Contributor

@spiritcraft1 wrote:

For me it seems they are pulling the soft pull around the 22nd of each month, give or take.  In my case, when that FICO is refreshed it is about 2 weeks old.  It also seems that new "offers" have poped up after a score improvement about a week before the FICO.  That was the case for my Flagship.  40 point increase early in the month, soft pull on the 22nd and then it showed up in offers around the 27th or so, well before the FICO popped up.  

The gist of it...  they have your latest score well before they give it to you... at least a week ahead. 

Aug 27, 2019

NAVY FCUAccount Review Inquiry

If I go to Equifax and start a dispute process, they allow me to pull my credit report twice a year for free. A few minutes before that, I paid for the pull through them across all three bureaus. I couldn’t find the information for soft pulls like I remembered, then I realized that last time I saw than misc info was when I was doing a dispute.

I was able to access that here in case anyone else is in the same boat and curious:

https://my.equifax.com/membercenter/#/login

I spent my first free pull today to specifically check when NFCU is doing my soft pull AR.

It was 8/27/19. My updated scored showed up in the app 9/6/19.

However, I have a secured card and the statement closing date is the 27th of every month. If that is impacting my AR soft pull then other’s mileage may vary.

I’m keeping an eye on it because my 5th statement cuts later this month, then leading to my 6th.

I’m making sure I’m AZEO and UTI is as low as possible when the AR comes up next is why I’m looking compulsively.

Message 10357 of 17,187
omgitsMatt
Frequent Contributor

If a pattern emerges that the soft pull AR is happening on everyone's closing date, that'd explain why it's taking a few days longer than it did a few months ago for the Fico 9 scores to show up. They might be pulling everyone's Equifax Fico 9 score when the closing date on their statement happens. Then waiting to update everyone all at once 7  to 10 days later when they've managed to pull everyone and they can do the free score update for everyone at once, even though they SP ppl at different times.

I never thought it was important so never asked, but do we all have differing closing dates on our CCs?

edit/

I am making sure to time any future CLI requests (e.g. when my card is unsecured and it's been 180 days and I can do a traditional CLI that is) the very day after my AR, so my internal score is updated. Not when the app finally tells me my Fico 9 a week and a half later. Maybe it'll lead to a better chance at a SP CLI. Idk, it's just theoretical planning and thinking, nothing practical, but still I find it interesting.

Message 10358 of 17,187
spiritcraft1
Valued Contributor

DW was just approved instantly for a Flagship @ $15k which matches her $15k MR Amex that was approved in January with a sub 600 FICO.  She now has her 3 NFCU cards.

It all started with a $1k Secured in 2016 at a low 400 something FICO.  She was approved for that MR AMEX instantly for the $15k and one statement later had her nRewards gratuate and bump to $2k.  So far, she has not been declined by NFCU for anything, including a $3k CLOC.

DPs:

(2) 2014 CO's

(3) CA's 4-5 years old

(2) INQ's on TU

Estimated 640 TU FICO 09  (FICO 08 is 640 as of today)

0% UTI, 15% DTI or so

Edit to Add:  Approval Letter stated NFCU Internal Score of 306

Now when my big monthly spend on my Flagship shows paid in a few days, I will try for the AMEX (would be 3rd card). 

I am on a three decline in a row streak for a CLI, AMEX and CLOC but that was 6 months ago...  perhaps too soon after my Flagship and graduation in Dec and January.

Biz |
Current F08 -
Current 2,4,5 -
Current F09 -
No PG Biz Credit in Order of Approval - Uline, Quill, Grainger, SupplyWorks, MSC, Amsterdam, Citi Tractor Supply Rev .8k, NewEgg Net 30 10k, Richelieu 2k, Wurth Supply 2k, Global Ind 2k, Sam's Club Store 11.k, Shell Fleet 19.5k, Citi Exxon 2.5k, Dell Biz Revolving $15k, B&H Photo, $5k

Message 10359 of 17,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

omgitsMatt

Regular Contributor

@spiritcraft1 wrote:

For me it seems they are pulling the soft pull around the 22nd of each month, give or take.  In my case, when that FICO is refreshed it is about 2 weeks old.  It also seems that new "offers" have poped up after a score improvement about a week before the FICO.  That was the case for my Flagship.  40 point increase early in the month, soft pull on the 22nd and then it showed up in offers around the 27th or so, well before the FICO popped up.  

The gist of it...  they have your latest score well before they give it to you... at least a week ahead. 

Aug 27, 2019

NAVY FCUAccount Review Inquiry

If I go to Equifax and start a dispute process, they allow me to pull my credit report twice a year for free. A few minutes before that, I paid for the pull through them across all three bureaus. I couldn’t find the information for soft pulls like I remembered, then I realized that last time I saw than misc info was when I was doing a dispute.

I was able to access that here in case anyone else is in the same boat and curious:

https://my.equifax.com/membercenter/#/login

I spent my first free pull today to specifically check when NFCU is doing my soft pull AR.

It was 8/27/19. My updated scored showed up in the app 9/6/19.

However, I have a secured card and the statement closing date is the 27th of every month. If that is impacting my AR soft pull then other’s mileage may vary.

I’m keeping an eye on it because my 5th statement cuts later this month, then leading to my 6th.

I’m making sure I’m AZEO and UTI is as low as possible when the AR comes up next is why I’m looking compulsively.

Message 10360 of 17,187
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.