Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy Federal Thread for CLI and Additional Cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Navy Federal Thread for CLI and Additional Cards

@Anonymous 

So each of us has an internal limit with Navy, so you getting the 25k card, means that you used up all your internal limit getting that one and there was nothing left to get for the CLI.   History with Navy doesn't take that long to build up, and provided you have the income to support it, you will get a higher limit on the Plat.eventually.   You can't app another card for 91/3 due to the recent MR approval, by the time you are able to get another card, you would have the history to CLI that Plat card.     YMMV as its upto you and your credit goals, but IME its just better to wait it out and app when you can. 

Message 10521 of 17,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FinStar wrote:
@Anonymous- personally, I would wait 6 months (if not a bit longer) to let your profile age (inclusive of the collection accounts). The $500 SL, while great in the approval sense, is indicative that this was a borderline approval.

Also, any simulator data is not to be relied upon...purely coincidental if it comes close. While it may be a decent tool to forecast a ballpark range of potential scores, it's usually far from the target. Lots of variables at play that can make your scores fluctuate.

@Anonymous   +1 to what Fin said

I started with a dirty profile like yours, and i honestly wish i had waited 6 months between CLI's and new cards and i'm sure my SL and CLI's would have been so much better.    Congrats on getting the collections down and your Util down.  Navy decisions are mostly based on DTI overall as a predictor of your ability to pay it back.   If you DTI is high even if your Util is low, then you could have to build more history first before they open the floodgates.   believe me, they will.. just takes some patience. The hardest part Smiley Wink

Message 10522 of 17,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, I have all the cards I need to keep me happy for quite a while, but the Platinum is currently my only Visa card. My goal is to grow it to $25K as well. If I never get a CLI on the More Rewards I would be alright with it, as long as I can get my Platinum to a decent limit & a lower APR (the More Rewards has a lower APR than my Platinum!)...
Message 10523 of 17,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jago22 - yes, thank you! I know the key is to be patient so I will wait it out knowing it will be worth it in the end.
Message 10524 of 17,187
Jccflat
Established Contributor

Just Got approved a third card with nfcu on my second 91/3 Amex more rewards $15,300sl

My DP
My first card was approved March platinum
$20,600
90 days later went for the second card flagship 25k
Today Amex more rewards $ 15,300 the apr is 12% something I didn’t save a screen shot of the page

TU is Fico 771

1% utilization
DTI Zero
4 inq
Average age 2 years almost
I have also 2 AU cards all in good standing
And the 2 nfcu I own
Income 145k
Message 10525 of 17,187
DJRobbieD
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@DJRobbieD wrote:

1. @DJRobbieD wrote:

Looking for some further advice... next month I will hit my 91/3 mark on a $10k NFCU Platinum MC that was approved back on 7/12/19.  As mentioned in a previous post, I expected a higher SL based on my income ($330k) and FICOs (mid-high 700s), but suspect that my overall UT at the time (35%) was a handcuff.  Since then, UT is way down (now <10%) and FICOs now over 800 (see my signature for additional DPs).

So my question is what's the next best course of action with NFCU to maximize my total unsecured exposure with them once I hit the 91/3 mark next month? Request a 3x CLI on the Platinum, apply for a 2nd card, or both? If both, in what order? 

I'd prefer not to open a 2nd NFCU card right now after opening new cards with NFCU (reporting), Chase (reporting), and Apple (not yet reporting) in the last 2 months which is driving down my AAoA, but I'm not against the idea as I'm going to be gardening for a couple years anyway after this recent spree.  I'm just wondering if it'd better to stick with 3x CLI request for now, then trying another CLI request next year (at least 6 months, right?) to get me up to the $50k max on the Platinum, for the cost of two EQ HPs.

Bump

@DJRobbieD   

1. Navy decides CLI on your DTI not just Util.  Yes you make a great income (congrats) but if your DTI is high due to Large house payment or multiple cars or large student or any other type of loans, they may not give you the max the card can have.   Most of the time when you ask for more than 25k they will POI you, so be ready for that. 

2. Most people ask for a CLI first.   It's either instant or goes to review, and you can app a second card at that time.  From DP's and in my EXP, it's easier to get a huge SL then a huge CLI.   However with that income and if your DTI is in check you could do well with both. 

3. If you don't mind showing the proof of the awesome income, you could get 50k from one CLI.  YMMV but look forward to hearing of your success. 

@Jago22, thank you for the feedback! 

My DTI was likely an additional contributing factor to the $10k SL, as I have a $4k/mth mortgage payment (as well as $366/mth car payment and $190/mth in student loan payments). 

POI shouldn't be a problem if they need it.  Is NFCU fine with recent paystubs, or do they require recent tax returns?

Sounds like requesting a CLI is my best course of action next month.  Doesn't sound like a 2nd card is neccessary to maximize my unsecured exposure.

TCL: $401.4k
Message 10526 of 17,187
Jccflat
Established Contributor

Where online can I see the application status of a cc ? It used to be online when you go to account services
It was instant approval but I wanna see if I can see the apr there
Message 10527 of 17,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DJRobbieD 

@Jago22, thank you for the feedback! 

My DTI was likely an additional contributing factor to the $10k SL, as I have a $4k/mth mortgage payment (as well as $366/mth car payment and $190/mth in student loan payments).    On the DTI, i'm going to lean that it had a small factor and that you just need to build some history with them first.   @330k, i'm not seeing enough payments above to hinder you, but with a few months of use and pay, you should be rocking the huge NFCU card.   YMMV as always. 

POI shouldn't be a problem if they need it.  Is NFCU fine with recent paystubs, or do they require recent tax returns?

TBH, I have no idea, i don't have the income for a monster limit where POI is needed.  

Sounds like requesting a CLI is my best course of action next month.  Doesn't sound like a 2nd card is neccessary to maximize my unsecured exposure.   It's not, just good usage and payments will do that for you.  IME and starting with a not clean profile, i did better with new card SL's than i did CLI's.   I also shouldn't have jumped the gun and waited 6 months instead of 91/3 as well.  You however are in a much better boat, so i would guess you will have a lot more success faster than i did Smiley Happy

Message 10528 of 17,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Yeah, I have all the cards I need to keep me happy for quite a while, but the Platinum is currently my only Visa card. My goal is to grow it to $25K as well. If I never get a CLI on the More Rewards I would be alright with it, as long as I can get my Platinum to a decent limit & a lower APR (the More Rewards has a lower APR than my Platinum!)...

Personally I would just send them an SM with the subject credit limit increase/decrease and ask them to move some of the limit from the new card to the old one. A $1K Platinum is totally unusable. Just keep in mind that any credit limit change sets that account for a 180 day clock before you can request a CLI if you go that route. 

Message 10529 of 17,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Personally I would just send them an SM with the subject credit limit increase/decrease and ask them to move some of the limit from the new card to the old one. A $1K Platinum is totally unusable. Just keep in mind that any credit limit change sets that account for a 180 day clock before you can request a CLI if you go that route. 

I asked the rep if I could re-allocate some of my $25K SL to my Platinum, & the rep said no. I wasn't going to argue; I figure this could be a battle for another day...

Message 10530 of 17,187
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.