tag
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Navy Federal Thread for CLI and Additional Cards

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
I’ve been thinking about going for my second Navy. Ut is about 32% overall, but most of the it’s on my $24k cashRewards Card which is at 90%. All other cards on zero. Been in the garden for 2 years now. FICOs all in the 700s.

Should I?

That would depend on your DTI more than anything, not just Util.   If you are making larger payments on the 90% card then they can see you are paying it off quickly. 

I would wait till you get that down some as others mentioned, congrats on the 700 fico's, but navy goes by DTI more than score.  They want to see your ability to repay more than a score number.

Looking forward to hear your success when you do decide to try

I just read this. I couldn't go for the CLI. I feared a denial. BUT! I did go for a new App instead. My 24 month gardening has been broken. Forgiveness is asked from the gardeners. I'm unworthy.  

But here is my latest approval!

Messages Image(3329735980).png

And you were only 42 days away from Ruby too 😭. Well, $20K can definitely make those tears dry up and obviously being in the garden a year worked to your benefit.

Congratulations to you.  

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 10551 of 17,187
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Congratulations on your approval! Navy never ceases to amaze us. I believe there was another member that was approved and had a Navy card with individual utilization around 80% or higher.

Message 10552 of 17,187
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous 

Congrats. Another good DP that navy will approve with a high utilization.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 10553 of 17,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

Navy is feeling VERY generous right now with their More Rewards Amex card, based on the SLs a lot of us are getting this week (thank you, holiday season!). I don't do much travelling, so the Flagship isn't a top priority for me at the moment. I will get a lot of benefit from the 3x More Rewards categories, though. Apply where you feel you will get the most benefit.

Message 10554 of 17,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous    Congrats.   That is a monster SL.    Just build history with that and a large CLI with your other card paid down should be a cake walk

Message 10555 of 17,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay, so I spent a bit of my afternoon reading the entirety of my More Rewards Amex booklet(s) and had a question, so I decided to phone up NFCU. As usual, super polite customer service; but they were unable to give me a definitive answer because they are unable to view the Merchant ID codes. 

Under 3x points for Transit, which includes "taxis" per the booklet, does that include rideshare programs such as Lyft/Uber? 

Message 10556 of 17,187
omgitsMatt
Frequent Contributor

I had looked that up coincidentally just a few hours ago (no joke, just a few hrs ago I had same question) and found a blog say that yes, it did include ride share services.

That was a 3rd party blog however. Not NFCU
Message 10557 of 17,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Okay, so I spent a bit of my afternoon reading the entirety of my More Rewards Amex booklet(s) and had a question, so I decided to phone up NFCU. As usual, super polite customer service; but they were unable to give me a definitive answer because they are unable to view the Merchant ID codes. 

Under 3x points for Transit, which includes "taxis" per the booklet, does that include rideshare programs such as Lyft/Uber? 

Yes it does. Those are definitely transit. 

Message 10558 of 17,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AllZero wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Congratulations on your approval! Navy never ceases to amaze us. I believe there was another member that was approved and had a Navy card with individual utilization around 80% or higher.

That might have been me. Three months ago I got my cashRewards card (1K limit) with approx 80% utilization. (Or something like that. Whatever it was, it was very high.) I was just approved for 17K for the More Rewards AMEX with about 68% utilization. My DTI is pretty decent and I paid in full and often on the first card these past few months.

Message 10559 of 17,187
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@AllZero wrote:

That might have been me. Three months ago I got my cashRewards card (1K limit) with approx 80% utilization. (Or something like that. Whatever it was, it was very high.) I was just approved for 17K for the More Rewards AMEX with about 68% utilization. My DTI is pretty decent and I paid in full and often on the first card these past few months.

Thank you for the update.

It just shows how hard Navy is to figure out. It appears they don't mind high utilization on one of their cards. As mentioned in this thread, income, DTI, their own internal score, length of membership, etc. are one of the many factors in approval decisions not just FICO scores alone.

If it was some other lender, it would probably be insta-denial. With Navy, here's a 5 figure credit line and low APR to boot.

Message 10560 of 17,187
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.