cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy Federal Thread for CLI and Additional Cards

tag
Vu
Frequent Contributor

2nd card denied. CLI on 1st card approved...

My 91 days were up on 10/15.  Applied for a 2nd card today, instant denial for "not meeting lending criteria".  Hit the CLI on the existing card, approved for $8K CLI to total $28K.

What a bummer.  I just closed my home yesterday and would love to have another high CL card to smooth out the utilization % in upcoming weeks due to making some big purchases for the home.

Message 10841 of 17,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 2nd card denied. CLI on 1st card approved...

@Vu
Sorry to hear about the decline!
What does not meet lending criteria mean?
Message 10842 of 17,187
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Vu, which card did you go for? Was it Flagship?
Message 10843 of 17,187
Vu
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
@Vu

I really don't know.  I was thinking of sending a recon from the website but decided to wait until the rejection letter comes to see what would be the reason.  

Usually, most people would have no problem getting the 2nd card approved and small CLI on the first card for about ~$3k based on my reading.  I got a really decent CLI but denied on the 2nd card Smiley Sad 

Message 10844 of 17,187
Vu
Frequent Contributor

@AllZero wrote:
Vu, which card did you go for? Was it Flagship?

It was the Platinum Smiley Happy

Message 10845 of 17,187
AllZero
Mega Contributor

^ hmmm. One would think it would be the easier card to get compared to Flagship. Plus, they gave you a CLI.
Message 10846 of 17,187
ocheosa
Valued Contributor

@Vu wrote:

My 91 days were up on 10/15.  Applied for a 2nd card today, instant denial for "not meeting lending criteria".  Hit the CLI on the existing card, approved for $8K CLI to total $28K.

What a bummer.  I just closed my home yesterday and would love to have another high CL card to smooth out the utilization % in upcoming weeks due to making some big purchases for the home.

@Vu , Congrats on that awesome CLI ! You blew right over the 25k limit. Sorry about the denial on the 2nd. Did you take advantage of the prequal tool ?

I think the obvious difference between you and many others is that you started with a large SL. From what I've read most (myself included) seem to start with a training wheels card 1-5k, then are upgraded to a larger limit on the 2nd card. Wonder if you may have better luck at the 6 month mark? They've been touting that number lately.

[4/24] Scores 8/9: 700-800s. Util: 1-2%. Inq/12: EQ 0, EX 3, TU 2. AoOA=15.8y, AoYA=8m.
TCL $678.5K: Personal $562.5K, Business $116K.
Message 10847 of 17,187
Vu
Frequent Contributor

@ocheosa
Thank you.  I was surprise at the $8K CLI after the denial of the 2nd card.  I'll let you all know what the reason for denial once I received the letter.

Message 10848 of 17,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Vu wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
@Vu

I really don't know.  I was thinking of sending a recon from the website but decided to wait until the rejection letter comes to see what would be the reason.  

Usually, most people would have no problem getting the 2nd card approved and small CLI on the first card for about ~$3k based on my reading.  I got a really decent CLI but denied on the 2nd card Smiley Sad 

@Vu   Congrats on the CLI  That is a nice one.     Not sure but it could have been that the CLI took all the available internal imit with Navy that you have so that the new card could not be given with no limit.    IME, it's usually the other way around, huge new card, but no CLI.    

Also IME, having a dirty profile when i got in with Navy, it took 6 months to get a CLI.  Not sure if you do, or have a clean profile, but that would be a good start as to why they said you didnt meet lending critieria.  Little bit of time, and your internal limit to build up and you'll be able to get another one easy. 

Message 10849 of 17,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Navy Federal 2nd card question.

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
@credit_endurance, nothing exists on site. Supposedly by calling in you can ask for it though it seems its hit or miss with CSRs.

In regards to no baddies on report other than bk7, thats as big a baddie as you can have, so i would temper expectations early on.

I respectfully disagree @AverageJoesCredit   Having a CO is so much worse as it doesnt go away after DC, so it hangs around longer ruining you until it falls off..   Sorry, i'll hop down off my soapbox now Smiley Very Happy

Beyond that, I do agree that starting with a dirty profile (which i did) can mean that it will take you longer to get CLI's and higher limits.   Altho, In most cases it's about 6 months.   Not that long compared to other lenders or in the overall credit marathon process. 

Message 10850 of 17,187
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.