Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy Federal Thread for CLI and Additional Cards

tag
recoveringfrombk7
Established Contributor

Re: Navy Federal Thread for CLI and Additional Cards

@bustout wrote:

I've been lurking and reading this forum for so long and you have all been very informative.

I started at NCFU with a secured $500 nCash after a bankruptcy, which they converted to a traditional rewards card. Prior to a European trip I asked if I could convert this to a Cash Rewards card which they did over the phone with a CLI

Boredom led me to request a CLI on the Cash Rewards and apply for a second card (Platinum). So I currently stand at:

Cash Rewards ($3,000)

Platinum ($4,300)

My goal is to eventually try for the Flagship. Obviously I am going to wait six months before I do anything, but should I:

A. apply for a CLI on Both prior to applying for Flagship

B. just apply for Flagship

C. ask them to combine or upgrade for Flagship

I only wish I would have asked for the max CLI when I did it.

Thank you everyone.

Your limits are still low.  Flagship has a minimum SL of 5k.  If getting Flagship is your primary concern, in 6 months I would app for it before doing any CLIs so that you don't max out what they're willing to offer you before the card app.  I'd go for CLIs after you get the Flagship.  Right now they are SPs and so worst case you get declined and try again later. 

Welcome to the forums! 

ETA: I would wait to apply for Flagship directly until the $500 SUB is available.  Seems silly to pass it up.

Desired BK recovery line up complete 7/12/2021. Planning to garden until 8/2023 and potentially try for AMEX.
Message 13151 of 17,187
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@bustout wrote:

I've been lurking and reading this forum for so long and you have all been very informative.

I started at NCFU with a secured $500 nCash after a bankruptcy, which they converted to a traditional rewards card. Prior to a European trip I asked if I could convert this to a Cash Rewards card which they did over the phone with a CLI

Boredom led me to request a CLI on the Cash Rewards and apply for a second card (Platinum). So I currently stand at:

Cash Rewards ($3,000)

Platinum ($4,300)

My goal is to eventually try for the Flagship. Obviously I am going to wait six months before I do anything, but should I:

Thank you everyone.

Hi @bustout and welcome to the forumsSmiley Happy

How I did it, and it may or may not be the right way, but it worked ,, none the less!

1st app was Cash Rewards May 2019 , then after 91/3 App'd for Platinum,

after that 91/3 app'd for Flagship (Instant approval) asked for CLI on same day,

and got an $8K on Platinum add to the $22K on Flagship ...$30K in one day!

But I realize I am kind of an outlier, in the sense, not everyone gets that much.

Hope this helps!

Message 13152 of 17,187
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

"ETA: I would wait to apply for Flagship directly until the $500 SUB is available. Seems silly to pass it up."

And I forgot to add what @recoveringfrombk7 said^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That $500 SUB was a super bonus!!!

Message 13153 of 17,187
bustout
New Contributor

@M_Smart007 (combining both of my favorite secret agents btw),

I only wish I found your posts when I first started at NFCU.

If things continue as they are I may do exactly as you say with much lower expectations. I don't care if the Flagship starts at 5K.

Considering you are a credit "heavyweight" (Sorry about that, Chief), the only thing I may adjust is the 91/3 to 180/6. Maybe the extra time will help.

Where should I have the utlization of each card when I request the new card? 30%, 10% or if it is too low will they feel I don't need additional credit? I love NFCU and have CLOC and have never been late.

Thank you

Message 13154 of 17,187
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@bustout wrote:

If things continue as they are I may do exactly as you say with much lower expectations. I don't care if the Flagship starts at 5K.

Considering you are a credit "heavyweight" (Sorry about that, Chief), the only thing I may adjust is the 91/3 to 180/6. Maybe the extra time will help.

Where should I have the utlization of each card when I request the new card? 30%, 10% or if it is too low will they feel I don't need additional credit? I love NFCU and have CLOC and have never been late.

Thank you

@bustout, "@M_Smart007 (combining both of my favorite secret agents btw),"

Haha.. guess you could call me a "Double Agent?"Smiley Very Happy  or 1/2 Smart?Smiley LOL

"I only wish I found your posts when I first started at NFCU."

I found NFCU through myFICO, only wish I found it years ago! .(that's all water under the bridge)

Considering you are a credit "heavyweight" (Sorry about that, Chief)

You have No idea how close that statement is "overweight" and they call me "Chief Bottle washer"Smiley Tongue

"Where should I have the utlization of each card when I request the new card? 30%, 10% or if it is too low will they feel I don't need additional credit?"

I am going to summons; @AverageJoesCredit , @Anonymous  & @Anonymous for their take on this particular question?

(others may input as well)

I feel the big thing that NFCU focuses on is Internal Score and "Debt to Income" ...

So you don't want to have a lot of debt on your TU report when apping. ..IMHO

I hope this helps you to "bust out" and Rock with NavySmiley Wink

Take care & Love your sense of humor.

Message 13155 of 17,187
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@bustout  I forgot, Welcome to The forumsSmiley Happy

Message 13156 of 17,187
recoveringfrombk7
Established Contributor

@bustout wrote:

Thank you

It does not matter if you care if the Flagship starts out at 5k.  That is the minimum you can get for it.  If you cannot get approved at 5k, you will not be approved for the card.  This is why in your position, if the card is important to you, you should app the card prior to requesting any CLIs.

Desired BK recovery line up complete 7/12/2021. Planning to garden until 8/2023 and potentially try for AMEX.
Message 13157 of 17,187
bustout
New Contributor

What I meant was I am not looking for a high limit, only to first obtain the card for the benefits.

I have $5k+ limits on each of 2 CapOne cards and a Discover card, although all of them did start out under 5K. They were automatically raised without a CLI request. If NFCU won't approve me in 6 months I will request CLI on the other 2 NFCU cards and try again and 90/3 to reapply. Currently I ony have two HP's on my report over the 12 months. I know requesting the new card will be a HP but the CLI request is SP. 

I value your advice noting your username. Thanks

Message 13158 of 17,187
recoveringfrombk7
Established Contributor

@bustout wrote:

What I meant was I am not looking for a high limit, only to first obtain the card for the benefits.

I have $5k+ limits on each of 2 CapOne cards and a Discover card, although all of them did start out under 5K. They were automatically raised without a CLI request. If NFCU won't approve me in 6 months I will request CLI on the other 2 NFCU cards and try again and 90/3 to reapply. Currently I ony have two HP's on my report over the 12 months. I know requesting the new card will be a HP but the CLI request is SP. 

I value your advice noting your username. Thanks

I wear it like a badge of honor until it goes away for good!  They've been very kind with my rebuild.  Best of luck when the time comes.  Sorry I misunderstood what you were saying about Flagship.  It's my next card too, going to try at 91/3, which for me is end of July, but only if the SUB is active.  Might be a push for card #3, but I like to live dangerously!

Message 13159 of 17,187
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@bustout wrote:

Cash Rewards ($3,000)

Platinum ($4,300)

Thank you everyone.

@bustout  Great advise from above.

6 month wait sounds like a perfect duration to wait. As mentioned up thread. Wait for the SUB Sign Up Bonus to come back. It's a $500 value and make your HP worth it. During the down time, just use your cards and pay on time.

When time is near, you can call Navy csr and ask if you have any pre-qual offers to gauge if your profile is prime for the FS. If they say you are pre-qualed for all the cards, I would recommend doing the FS application first, then the CLI request 2nd to ensure you did not maxed out your exposure with Navy.

Message 13160 of 17,187
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.