Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy Federal Thread for CLI and Additional Cards

tag
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Re: Navy Federal Thread for CLI and Additional Cards

@Falcon9 wrote:

@Anonymous, Per NFCU's rules .. it has to be (3) full statements, and 91 days have to pass.

Sometimes the first statement is not a "FULL" statement and therefore does not count towards the 91/3.

If you do not meet NFCU's criteria, then it is a denial.

Hope this clarifies?

It looks like I may be doing the quote incorrectly.  I just got my first statement about three days ago.  Around 20 Feb 2021 I should meet three full statements plus 91 days.  I will wait another week or so just to be sure and apply for NFCU card #2.  I had considered the More Rewards but I have long had a view that AMEX is not as widely accepted as a Visa or Mastercard.  That view may no longer be valid.  If it is, then I suspect that GoRewards is adequate.

@Falcon9, You can always hop on chat and they will give you a answer to when you can ask?

See chat >> https://i.imgur.com/KKlSMJX.png

I have only had one Mom n Pop shop by the ocean, not accept Amex

Message 15221 of 17,187
Falcon9
Valued Member

Thanks for the info M_Smart007.   I have three months to evaluate which one to get but that is useful data.

Message 15222 of 17,187
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Falcon9 wrote:

Thanks for the info M_Smart007.   I have three months to evaluate which one to get but that is useful data.

@Falcon9, You are welcomeSmiley Happy

Message 15223 of 17,187
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Falcon9 wrote:

@Falcon9, Also keep in mind, if you get a card you don't utilize/like?

You can ask NFCU to product change it to another cardSmiley Wink

Message 15224 of 17,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm sorry I'm popping in here and have forgotten Navy's "rules" (or maybe they've changed). I just got a CLI on my CashRewards card (from $2K to $5K). I just asked for the CLI earlier today. I checked preapprovals on a whim and I still qualify for the Flagship VISA. I'm feeling like a spree, which is bad, bad, bad. Please talk me out of it. I don't think I "need" the card now, but have wanted it for a long, long time. (Just got approved for an AMEX card so if I were to app, it would be better now than when the AMEX card shows up on my reports.) 

Talk me out of it, talk me out of it!!! Unless you think it's a good idea... I don't want to waste an inquiry. 

Message 15225 of 17,187
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm sorry I'm popping in here and have forgotten Navy's "rules" (or maybe they've changed). I just got a CLI on my CashRewards card (from $2K to $5K). I just asked for the CLI earlier today. I checked preapprovals on a whim and I still qualify for the Flagship VISA. I'm feeling like a spree, which is bad, bad, bad. Please talk me out of it. I don't think I "need" the card now, but have wanted it for a long, long time. (Just got approved for an AMEX card so if I were to app, it would be better now than when the AMEX card shows up on my reports.) 

Talk me out of it, talk me out of it!!! Unless you think it's a good idea... I don't want to waste an inquiry. 

@Anonymous, I am probably the last person to talk you out of itsmiley-laughing021.gif

If it were Me, I would apply for the NFCU card before Amex hits and let them age together?

Then straight to the garden for a while.... Just sayinSmiley Very Happy

Keep us posted?

Message 15226 of 17,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

@M_Smart007 wrote:

@Anonymous, I am probably the last person to talk you out of itsmiley-laughing021.gif

If it were Me, I would apply for the NFCU card before Amex hits and let them age together?

Keep us posted?

Thanks! So it would be okay to app for the Flagship even though Navy just gave me a CLI today? I don't need much encouragement to app...I just want to make sure it's not hopeless! I really want this card!

Message 15227 of 17,187
800wannabe420
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@M_Smart007 wrote:

Keep us posted?

Thanks! So it would be okay to app for the Flagship even though Navy just gave me a CLI today? I don't need much encouragement to app...I just want to make sure it's not hopeless! I really want this card!

Go ahead and apply if you want but just a couple of points to consider:

Don't let the results of your preapproval/prequalified from the NFCU tool drive your application as it has been proven to be unreliable, to say the least.

Remember the UW for the Flagship is different from all the other NFCU cards in that it requires a minimum $5000 SL.

Also it is possible that your recent CLI may put you over the internal limit for NFCU

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Message 15228 of 17,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

@800wannabe420 wrote:

Also it is possible that your recent CLI may put you over the internal limit for NFCU

Thanks! That's EXACTLY what happened. I guess the CLI hadn't fully gone in the system when I tried (and was preapproved) earlier today, because I checked Navy's prequal again just now and all I got was the secured card. So the CLI was all they were willing to give me.

It's okay, I'm so glad I didn't waste a hard pull! Thank you so much for the warning.

Because I'm an idiot, I did "waste" a TU inquiry (hey, I was already mentally prepared to do it, lol) and got (and was approved for) an eBay MC. Low starting limit, but I don't care because at least it wasn't a denial. I truly am an idiot. Back to the garden I go, to let this app spree age. Thank you so much again! I'll try for the Flagship next year. 

Message 15229 of 17,187
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@800wannabe420 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@M_Smart007 wrote:

Keep us posted?

Go ahead and apply if you want but just a couple of points to consider:

Don't let the results of your preapproval/prequalified from the NFCU tool drive your application as it has been proven to be unreliable, to say the least.

Remember the UW for the Flagship is different from all the other NFCU cards in that it requires a minimum $5000 SL.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Not only does it have different UW,  i feel that $5k is just a first   benchmark for them to determine if one is worthy. I have plenty of cards over 5k but im pretty sure i cant get this. I think they use some kind of metric that lets them know if a person would actually use it. Maybe just me but it sure feels that way lol. 

One thing i do say , so i could still app a FS one day lol,  is nothing is impossible with Navy and dont be afraid to try or even risk hps. I would never have achieved a 25k credit card with them if i didnt chance it by requesting 25k on my last few attempts. I wish there were more low income people here on myFico that i could help inspire  for what ive accomplished on my income. 

Message 15230 of 17,187
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.