Navy Federal Thread for CLI and Additional Cards

tag
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Navy Federal UPDATED CLI and 2ND ACCOUNT THREAD

@Anonymous wrote:

@kerplunk wrote:

Question for the group: Does your NFCU total credit line (credit cards) affect the amount that you can get approved for with an auto loan?

@kerplunk No, your revolving credit exposure should not affect your auto loan offer.

It's still a good idea to maximize your scores by lowering utilization before applying. I think Navy pulled Equifax for my auto loan. 

Now they use TU for all credit decisions - both CCs and auto loans.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 16071 of 17,187
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

Thank you for Confirming that @OmarGB9    I thought they flipped all over to TU but since I haven't applied for a car with them I wasn't sure if Car was included so I didn't point it out Smiley Happy

Message 16072 of 17,187
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Girlzilla88 wrote:

Thank you for Confirming that @OmarGB9    I thought they flipped all over to TU but since I haven't applied for a car with them I wasn't sure if Car was included so I didn't point it out Smiley Happy

Well I don't have personal experience, but I've seen DPs around the forums of people saying they now pull TU for auto apps. Lucky for me, TU is my best bureau. Smiley Happy

Penfed Gold Visa Card

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 16073 of 17,187
Curious_George2
Valued Contributor

So they pull credit report data exclusively from TU, which they use to generate a unique, proprietary score, and the free monthly scores they provide to members (cardholders only?) is EQ9? That's quite a mish-mash!

I think a lot of people intuitively assume that the free score routinely displayed by an FI is the same one it uses for lending decisions. That could be true some of the time, but Navy's current setup pretty clearly shows that it isn't always so.

Message 16074 of 17,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

Started w. Navy with Nsecured card which graduated at the 6mth mark at the 91/3 applied and got 57k Auto Loan and 25k more rewards Amex card. I have requested increase on the Amex on its 91/3 and was turned down reason "Reached the maximum unsecured credit " and on Cashrewards card gave the reason of "recent account change" (card graduation). Total time with NFCU 7 MTHS.

How soon could I apply for a 3rd Card has anybody had any success? At the moment TU 8 692 and my 9 are 700+. UTL is 3% overall all accounts. I have currently 8 inq. Is NFCU Inquiry sensitive?

Message 16075 of 17,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Curious_George2 wrote:

So they pull credit report data exclusively from TU, which they use to generate a unique, proprietary score, and the free monthly scores they provide to members (cardholders only?) is EQ9? That's quite a mish-mash!

I think a lot of people intuitively assume that the free score routinely displayed by an FI is the same one it uses for lending decisions. That could be true some of the time, but Navy's current setup pretty clearly shows that it isn't always so.

Navy uses all kinds of scores. We have even see them use the ancient TU98 you can't get anywhere. 

Message 16076 of 17,187
crys12065
Established Contributor

I finally achieved the Navy Trifecta BUT with the dreaded $1K limit on the Platinum.  I knew better, I have to much credit with them on my income but I still had to see if I could get that third card since I tried unsuccessfully last year.  I got it but at a price and with a high APR of 12.99% which I don't get, I mean my Flagship is 13.49% but for some reason the only bank to give me a decent APR is BECU.  I can always re-allocate limits to make it useful in future for BT's but I think right now I will wait and try for a CLI in 91/3.   I mean what did I expect, lol.  I still love Navy! 

Exposure before app- 

Flagship- $25,500

Amex MR- $23,500

CLOC- $15K

In the garden until 2020
Message 16077 of 17,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

So I just did the NFCU And got 1k at 14.99 I have Amex 25k @ 12.99 and CashRewards 18.00 which just graduated to 2k. Been with them 6-7 months. How many increases have you got with them on your other cards and how long have you had them? I just asked for reconsideration on the new approval my TU score is 691.

Message 16078 of 17,187
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Started w. Navy with Nsecured card which graduated at the 6mth mark at the 91/3 applied and got 57k Auto Loan and 25k more rewards Amex card. I have requested increase on the Amex on its 91/3 and was turned down reason "Reached the maximum unsecured credit " and on Cashrewards card gave the reason of "recent account change" (card graduation). Total time with NFCU 7 MTHS.

How soon could I apply for a 3rd Card has anybody had any success? At the moment TU 8 692 and my 9 are 700+. UTL is 3% overall all accounts. I have currently 8 inq. Is NFCU Inquiry sensitive?

You can apply for the 3rd card at 91/3 from your second card. And the Amex can't go any higher because they have a $25k max CL per card, with the exception of the Flagship, which can get to $50k. And no, they're not known to be inquiry sensitive.

Penfed Gold Visa Card

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 16079 of 17,187
newmomnewme
Valued Contributor

@OmarGB9 Are you sure about max limits or could it be case by case? They just increased my Platinum from 23 to 30k (reallocation from Amex). 

012019 Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Current Fico9/Fico8/Mortgage Score:
MyGoal Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 16080 of 17,187
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.