Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy Federal Thread for CLI and Additional Cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Navy Federal UPDATED CLI and 2ND ACCOUNT THREAD

@mchang124  Clearly Navy loves you!! 

So if you got the FS in March and did a CLI at 91/3 (June?) your next CLI attempt will be in December (six months) correct? I wonder if they will request POI over $25K?  My fingers will be crossed for a nice big CLI for you!

Message 14921 of 17,187
mchang124
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So if you got the FS in March and did a CLI at 91/3 (June?) your next CLI attempt will be in December (six months) correct? I wonder if they will request POI over $25K?  My fingers will be crossed for a nice big CLI for you!

if i remember correctly, and someone can correct me, anything over $35k requires POI.

I'm still asking every 3 months for a CLI since its all a SP right now anways. lol. 

“It’s nice to be important but it’s more important to be nice”
Message 14922 of 17,187
CreditOnTheRise1
New Contributor

@M_Smart007 wrote:

@CreditOnTheRise1 wrote:

Hi Everyone, 

Wanted to share my recent NFCU experience and also ask a couple questions. 

Been a NFCU member for 2 years exclusively for banking. My 12th statement cut last week on my Go rewards card. The APR was 18% so I did a secure message through the app and asked for a rate reduction. They came back and said they could do 14.99% but that I had to confirm if I would accept it. I thought the way the response was framed left it open to negotiations so I asked for 9.99%. NFCU came back saying it is against fair credit practices to allow me to negotiate an APR and I have to have the same APR they would offer anyone in my credit profile, etc.

my current Score with EQ9 they show is 701. So I went back and said ok and I'll take the 14.99%.

Question...anyone ever heard of this? As far as not being able to negotiate with APR? NFCU said by taking the APR reduction now then I have to wait 1 year to ask for another one. Or I could decline it, wait a bit longer and see if I got a better APR.  I don't carry a balance on a $5500 limit even though it's 1 of 2 of my daily drivers. I spend about 4-5k a month between my 2 NFCU cards. 

2nd Question...Closing on a new construction home 12/18(fingers crossed). Right after, think next day lol, I want to apply for a 3rd NFCU card and hoping for at least a $10k starting limit. Already have a Cash rewards limit that's $2400. What's the best card option you think with a 700-710 FICO 8/9 score with EQ and TU? An additional note is that my Go rewards is up for a CLI next month. If I do the CLI first in November then do a new card app the next month is that smart? Or wait the other way around and do the  3rd card app in December then the CLI right after. Not sure if waiting a month between requests changes things. 

Thanks for any help/suggestions!

On the APR reduction, it is either take it or leave it. Sorry No negotiating

As far as CLI / New Credit card  .. Go for the Credit card first, wait for approval .. then Ask for a CLI on you other card.

Thanks! Yea that's what I think I'm going to do. Fingers crossed!

Message 14923 of 17,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

@LeilaniS Thank you so much, will def do that!!

Now do you think its better to setup direct deposit with Navy or is it fine transfering money monthly there (have linked accounts already with my other bank) and use it like that? 

Wait at least 6 months also for the CLI? And do they like to see heavy usage on their accounts while building a relationship with them or occasional to moderate is good enough? 

Message 14924 of 17,187
myquestionsfico
Regular Contributor

Just looked at the app and I got the standard 4K increase on both cards.  I'll take it in these uncertain times.  

Message 14925 of 17,187
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@mchang124 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

if i remember correctly, and someone can correct me, anything over $35k requires POI.

I'm still asking every 3 months for a CLI since its all a SP right now anways. lol. 

my understanding it is/was usually over 25k not 35k

Message 14926 of 17,187
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@myquestionsfico wrote:

Just looked at the app and I got the standard 4K increase on both cards.  I'll take it in these uncertain times.  

@myquestionsfico, Congratulations on your Increase(s) smiley-waving-us-flag.gif

Message 14927 of 17,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous I'm sure others with far more experience than I have will weigh in on DD. I didn't have DD with Navy at first but wasn't really getting much bang for my buck (none actually) at my bank so I moved the DD over. IMHO it's another way to build the relationship with them and everything has been easy-peasy.

A lot of people put heavy usage on their cards and some don't. IMHO it's worked well to use the cards and PIF a few days before the statements cut. I average about $400 a month on my CR ($18K CL) and $200 on my Platinum ($18K CL) so definitly not a big spender. I don't think carrying a balance is a big deal to Navy as much as building a relationship and handling your accounts well. I just PIF because my profile is super young and it can't hurt to be at zero when the statements hit. 

Message 14928 of 17,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

@myquestionsfico wrote:

Outstanding! Another $8K is a great way to start the weekend! Congrats!Smiley Wink

Message 14929 of 17,187
Whitneyy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous I'm sure others with far more experience than I have will weigh in on DD. I didn't have DD with Navy at first but wasn't really getting much bang for my buck (none actually) at my bank so I moved the DD over. IMHO it's another way to build the relationship with them and everything has been easy-peasy.

A lot of people put heavy usage on their cards and some don't. IMHO it's worked well to use the cards and PIF a few days before the statements cut. I average about $400 a month on my CR ($18K CL) and $200 on my Platinum ($18K CL) so definitly not a big spender. I don't think carrying a balance is a big deal to Navy as much as building a relationship and handling your accounts well. I just PIF because my profile is super young and it can't hurt to be at zero when the statements hit. 

I think this is important as well. I established my relationship after BURNING my relationship by using them as a small savings account and the first card they gave me back was $4,900 when I just KNEW I was getting $500. 

Relationships seem to be the best way with them. 

GOAL - 700 FICO across the board!
Message 14930 of 17,187
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.