cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy Federal Thread for CLI and Additional Cards

Highlighted
Established Contributor

Re: Navy Federal Thread for CLI and Additional Cards

DW was just approved instantly for a Flagship @ $15k which matches her $15k MR Amex that was approved in January with a sub 600 FICO.  She now has her 3 NFCU cards.

It all started with a $1k Secured in 2016 at a low 400 something FICO.  She was approved for that MR AMEX instantly for the $15k and one statement later had her nRewards gratuate and bump to $2k.  So far, she has not been declined by NFCU for anything, including a $3k CLOC.

DPs:

(2) 2014 CO's

(3) CA's 4-5 years old

(2) INQ's on TU

Estimated 640 TU FICO 09  (FICO 08 is 640 as of today)

0% UTI, 15% DTI or so

Edit to Add:  Approval Letter stated NFCU Internal Score of 306

Now when my big monthly spend on my Flagship shows paid in a few days, I will try for the AMEX (would be 3rd card). 

I am on a three decline in a row streak for a CLI, AMEX and CLOC but that was 6 months ago...  perhaps too soon after my Flagship and graduation in Dec and January.

Rebuilding from a sudden, swift and complete credit disaster in early 2014 | Starting Scores 2017 = Very Low 400's
1-1-17 -
8-1-18 -
12-24-18 -
9-20-2020 -

Biz Credit in Order of Approval - Uline, Quill, Grainger, SupplyWorks, MSC, Amsterdam, FuelMan .8K, Citi Tractor Supply Rev .8k, Builder Pro 5.4K, Amazon Net 55 $5.5k, NewEgg Net 30 10k, Richelieu 2k, Wurth Supply 2k, Global Ind 2k, Sam's Club Store 11.k, Shell Fleet 19.5k, Citi Exxon 2.5k, Dell Biz Revolving $15k - All No PG | AMEX Biz Gold NPSL
Message 10361 of 14,660
Highlighted
Established Member

omgitsMatt

Regular Contributor

@spiritcraft1 wrote:

For me it seems they are pulling the soft pull around the 22nd of each month, give or take.  In my case, when that FICO is refreshed it is about 2 weeks old.  It also seems that new "offers" have poped up after a score improvement about a week before the FICO.  That was the case for my Flagship.  40 point increase early in the month, soft pull on the 22nd and then it showed up in offers around the 27th or so, well before the FICO popped up.  

The gist of it...  they have your latest score well before they give it to you... at least a week ahead. 

Aug 27, 2019

NAVY FCUAccount Review Inquiry

If I go to Equifax and start a dispute process, they allow me to pull my credit report twice a year for free. A few minutes before that, I paid for the pull through them across all three bureaus. I couldn’t find the information for soft pulls like I remembered, then I realized that last time I saw than misc info was when I was doing a dispute.

I was able to access that here in case anyone else is in the same boat and curious:

https://my.equifax.com/membercenter/#/login

I spent my first free pull today to specifically check when NFCU is doing my soft pull AR.

It was 8/27/19. My updated scored showed up in the app 9/6/19.

However, I have a secured card and the statement closing date is the 27th of every month. If that is impacting my AR soft pull then other’s mileage may vary.

I’m keeping an eye on it because my 5th statement cuts later this month, then leading to my 6th.

I’m making sure I’m AZEO and UTI is as low as possible when the AR comes up next is why I’m looking compulsively.

Equifax – SECU FICO 8 & NFCU FICO 9 = 691 average.

Experian – Fingerhut FICO 8 & Experian FICO 8 = 691 average.

Transunion – Discover FICO 8 & AmEx Fico 8 = 689 average.

All Vantage Score 3.0 averages/9 sites = 702 average.

All the above FICO are free credit scores. Vantage is nine free scores average.

Util = about 7% / DTI = about 38% / Income ~$14988,00 SSD does not pay very much, I work harder at this.

NFCU AmEx - $15,000
NFCU cashRewards - $6,000 / Home Depot - $4000 / Discover It - $3800 / AmEx Cash Card - $1000 / Cap One MC - $1500 / Sears-SYW MC - $3000 / Wayfair - $4250 / Best Buy - $3000 / Dell CC - $3000 / Big Lots - $1250 / Kohl’s - $1000 / J. Crew - $500 / Brylnhme - $700 / Fingrhut - $700.
Fingerhut only to get the free Experian FICO 8 Score.
Message 10362 of 14,660
Highlighted
Established Contributor

The Soft Pulls are really around the third week of previous month, at least for me and DW.  Have verified this with paper reports and score matching.

Rebuilding from a sudden, swift and complete credit disaster in early 2014 | Starting Scores 2017 = Very Low 400's
1-1-17 -
8-1-18 -
12-24-18 -
9-20-2020 -

Biz Credit in Order of Approval - Uline, Quill, Grainger, SupplyWorks, MSC, Amsterdam, FuelMan .8K, Citi Tractor Supply Rev .8k, Builder Pro 5.4K, Amazon Net 55 $5.5k, NewEgg Net 30 10k, Richelieu 2k, Wurth Supply 2k, Global Ind 2k, Sam's Club Store 11.k, Shell Fleet 19.5k, Citi Exxon 2.5k, Dell Biz Revolving $15k - All No PG | AMEX Biz Gold NPSL
Message 10363 of 14,660
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

I didn't have any concept of what credit is myself last September. Never used it, never needed it and never cared.

I know better now. Wish I had started sooner, not in my 30s.

This forum is a game changer. I believe I'm better off now than had I started working on credit by self 15 yrs ago. Like you, I love this community for all it's help.

Back on topic though, my Secured nRewards statement cuts the 27th. My SP was on the 27th. Then my score updated on the 6th. I pulled my scores the 1st. The FICO 9 score on the app reflected my scores from the 27th, not the higher score from the 1st.

You may be right though, correlation doesn't equal causation.

That SP AR from the 27th may very well be them considering me for an account upgrade and have nothing to do the traditional ARs.

Idk, I hope some others check their Equifax SPs too and let me know.
Message 10364 of 14,660
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

When does your statements cut spiritcraft1?
Message 10365 of 14,660
Highlighted
Established Member

The Soft Pulls are really around the third week of previous month, at least for me and DW.  Have verified this with paper reports and score matching.

Thank you, I really do not know, I read many post and went with that. Plus what happens to me.

This may help me, I screwed up and applied for a CLI way too early. But my next account cuts on Oct 5th, I opened and applied for a CLI on July 7th. Hoping that will be enough time. Well, Oct 7th+.

I'm also in the throws of a refinance deal, so this is secondary for now.

Equifax – SECU FICO 8 & NFCU FICO 9 = 691 average.

Experian – Fingerhut FICO 8 & Experian FICO 8 = 691 average.

Transunion – Discover FICO 8 & AmEx Fico 8 = 689 average.

All Vantage Score 3.0 averages/9 sites = 702 average.

All the above FICO are free credit scores. Vantage is nine free scores average.

Util = about 7% / DTI = about 38% / Income ~$14988,00 SSD does not pay very much, I work harder at this.

NFCU AmEx - $15,000
NFCU cashRewards - $6,000 / Home Depot - $4000 / Discover It - $3800 / AmEx Cash Card - $1000 / Cap One MC - $1500 / Sears-SYW MC - $3000 / Wayfair - $4250 / Best Buy - $3000 / Dell CC - $3000 / Big Lots - $1250 / Kohl’s - $1000 / J. Crew - $500 / Brylnhme - $700 / Fingrhut - $700.
Fingerhut only to get the free Experian FICO 8 Score.
Message 10366 of 14,660
Highlighted

Good morning.

I opened my NFCU account in April 2019. Shortly after, I opened a secured card with them and always PIF. This passed Sunday, I was approved for an unsecured Cash Rewards with a 5,000 SL (I have a discharged ch.7 BK reporting, so my SL’s likely won’t be high to begin with). My question is, do I need to wait another 91 days to apply for any additional credit with NFCU?

What should be the next course of action? CLI or a third card (Amex or Platinum), or a CLOC? From what I understand, the secured card may or may not graduate, so I am just not sure what my next NFCU goal should beSmiley Happy

I assumed I should let the current lines grow and not apply for anything additional until at least December, but wasn’t sure as I see some people applying for say a CLI and a new card in the same day and getting approval.

Thanks in advance for any responsesSmiley Happy

Message 10367 of 14,660
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@omgitsMatt wrote:
Back on topic though, my Secured nRewards statement cuts the 27th. My SP was on the 27th. Then my score updated on the 6th. I pulled my scores the 1st. The FICO 9 score on the app reflected my scores from the 27th, not the higher score from the 1st.

Navy does the AR on every 4th Tuesday of the month. August 27th was the 4th Tuesday of the month - your statement closing date on the same day happened to be a coincidence. The other poster was also right about July's AR because July 23rd was the 4th Tuesday of the month.

The time it takes for Navy to update the score on everyone's account after the AR varies - some months they update it in around 10 days and some months it takes over 2 weeks. But as far as I can tell, the updated scores are reflected online the same day for everyone once Navy decides to do it.

Message 10368 of 14,660
Highlighted

@Lolas_dad wrote:

Hey, @uncleB can you help me with my signature? I tried images but they all came out funky, so tried a text only, looks okay but boring to read. I want the cool credit score numbers boxes then the cool CC's in boxes with limits, etc. 

I have learned so much from here, I want to also share what I learned on my own, plus share my progress, (although slow), but if I say so myself, I am not doing too bad after a bad time about 6 years ago, (co-sign), ate me alive.

Hi @Lolas_dad, you might have tried too early... you have to be at the rank of 'Member' to put images in your signature (which you now are) but if you tried when you were still a 'New Member' it wouldn't have worked.

Go to this thread: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/SmorgasBoard/THIS-IS-HOW-YOU-ADD-CREDIT-CARD-PICS-TO-YOUR-PROFILE/td...

I'm subscribed there as well, and will be able to help if you need it.  Smiley Wink

Message 10369 of 14,660
Highlighted
Established Contributor

@CBTS wrote:

@omgitsMatt wrote:

Navy does the AR on every 4th Tuesday of the month. August 27th was the 4th Tuesday of the month - your statement closing date on the same day happened to be a coincidence. The other poster was also right about July's AR because July 23rd was the 4th Tuesday of the month.

The time it takes for Navy to update the score on everyone's account after the AR varies - some months they update it in around 10 days and some months it takes over 2 weeks. But as far as I can tell, the updated scores are reflected online the same day for everyone once Navy decides to do it.

That's right.  It is on that Tuesday.

1-1-17 -
8-1-18 -
12-24-18 -
9-20-2020 -

Message 10370 of 14,660
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.