cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy Federal Thread for CLI and Additional Cards

Auto Loans for ANY Credit Situation. Immediate Response.
Advertiser disclosure
Established Member

Re: Navy Federal Thread for CLI and Additional Cards

@uncleB You rock. Thank you.

I am playing with a thin line, and need to take heed of what I learn from here. I apply what is said here to other credit situations and it is perfect information. I started two years ago, but only since, couple months ago, I found this forum, have made much progress since.

Going to apply for a NFCU CR Visa Card CLI next month. Do not really need a CLOC, but wouldn't mind a second card, maybe the NFCU AmEx Card? Anybody know if I should apply for them both at the same time, single HP, or wait?

I do not spend anywhere near that much money, but it helps my UTIL. I need to all but max out several cards, before a refinance appraisal. Today I can afford the maxed out CC's payment for about three months, the fourth month, I get behind. Unless the loan goes through.

Equifax – SECU FICO 8 & NFCU FICO 9 = 691 average.
Experian – Fingerhut FICO 8 & Experian FICO 8 = 639 average.
Transunion – Discover FICO 8 & AmEx Fico 8 = 645 average.
All three Vantage Score 3.0 averages/9 sites = 702 average.
All the above FICO are free credit scores. Vantage is nine free scores average.
Util = about 5% / DTI = about 38% / Income, (feels like negative) - ~$19,500.
Yes, that is $19,500 income. SSD does not pay very much, I work harder at this.
NFCU cashRewards - $1000 / Home Depot - $4000 / Discover It - $3800 / AmEx Cash Card - $1000 / Cap One MC - $1000 / Sears-SYW MC - $3000 / Wayfair - $4250 / Best Buy - $3000 / Dell CC - $3000 / Big Lots - $1250 / Kohl’s - $1000 / J. Crew - $500 / Brylnhme - $700 / Fingrhut - $700.
Fingerhut only to get the free Experian FICO 8 Score. (need to buy something once a year).
J. Crew & Brylnhme because they are SP approved Credit Cards that report. Increases your SL.
American Express regular gives both FICO 8 & Vantage 3.0. Need to look for the FICO.
Message 10361 of 10,494

Thank you for the input. I am definitely happy that I was approved for the 5,000 starting limit on the Cash Rewards card and agree it’s a great starting point in my rebuild journeySmiley Happy

I’m going to sit with what I have for now since the Secured card I have with them should graduate after 10/24 ( Navy told me in a message that I opened my secured card on 4/24, so after 6 closed statements it would be up for review to graduate). I will look into the CLOC sometime in the future as I think I need to let my recent inquiries age for a little while before I press my luck any further and take another Hard Pull. I’m going to focus on making sure my utilization is as little as possible before 10/24 in hopes of the Secured card graduating to a nice unsecured amount as wellSmiley Happy

I credit this Forum for educating me and guiding me on the right path to a successful rebuild!

Message 10362 of 10,494
Super Contributor

So I decided since I already have a spree that’s going to significantly drop my AAOA, I would take a stab at the More Rewards as my third card. Instant decline. I know people have said in the past when they have gotten the maximum unsecured limit message when asking for a CLI that they have gotten a third card approved but that is not the case for me. I know I could message them and have them take some of the limit from one of my other cards to open it but it will just be in the SD and further drop my AAOA which would just force me to garden longer so I’m writing off the HP but sharing my DPs. 

Hit my one year anniversary earlier this month, TU HP 759 F9, $15,200 exposure ($2000 cashRewards, $12,700 Platinum, $500 CLOC), $18K income, <5% aggregate utilization. 

Scores 1/2019:
Scores 9/2019:

Hover over my cards to see my limits!
Goal cards: Does it look like I really need any more cards? My goal is to garden until 2/2020.
Message 10363 of 10,494
Contributor

@Saeren wrote:

So I decided since I already have a spree that’s going to significantly drop my AAOA, I would take a stab at the More Rewards as my third card. Instant decline. I know people have said in the past when they have gotten the maximum unsecured limit message when asking for a CLI that they have gotten a third card approved but that is not the case for me. I know I could message them and have them take some of the limit from one of my other cards to open it but it will just be in the SD and further drop my AAOA which would just force me to garden longer so I’m writing off the HP but sharing my DPs. 

Hit my one year anniversary earlier this month, TU HP 721 F8 (F9 unknown), $15,200 exposure ($2000 cashRewards, $12,700 Platinum, $500 CLOC), $18K income, <5% aggregate utilization. 

This is an interesting data point. I will be apping my 3rd card after 10/7 and my scores are around 660. My current exposure is 15,700 on two cards (700 CR and 15k plat). I wonder what my result will be considering the lower score. My income however is higher as well as my utilization (im at 28% across all cards with a 24,900 total aggregate limit).

I am hoping to get another platinum to transfer my last few balances so everything is 0% for a while.

Starting FICO 8 as of 2 APR 2019

FICO 8 as of 28 JUN 2019

FICO 9 as of 2 APR 2019

Goal 700 across the board by 7/2021
Message 10364 of 10,494
Super Contributor

@Kantide wrote:

@Saeren wrote:

Hit my one year anniversary earlier this month, TU HP 721 F8 (F9 unknown), $15,200 exposure ($2000 cashRewards, $12,700 Platinum, $500 CLOC), $18K income, <5% aggregate utilization. 

This is an interesting data point. I will be apping my 3rd card after 10/7 and my scores are around 660. My current exposure is 15,700 on two cards (700 CR and 15k plat). I wonder what my result will be considering the lower score. My income however is higher as well as my utilization (im at 28% across all cards with a 24,900 total aggregate limit).

I am hoping to get another platinum to transfer my last few balances so everything is 0% for a while.

Income and DTI are more important to NFCU than scores. They definitely are known to be stricter on third cards than first and second though. The auto decline shocked me since NFCU likes to review just about every app that doesn’t get auto approved. 

Scores 1/2019:
Scores 9/2019:

Goal cards: Does it look like I really need any more cards? My goal is to garden until 2/2020.
Message 10365 of 10,494
Frequent Contributor

@Saeren wrote:

income and DTI are more important to NFCU than scores. They definitely are known to be stricter on third cards than first and second though. The auto decline shocked me since NFCU likes to review just about every app that doesn’t get auto approved. 

That sucks.  DW just got her third card and that will mean I will be waiting for a bit since we have to fulfill the spend for the SUB.  I am on a personal streak of three denials at the moment, CLOC, CLI and 3rd card though 6 months have passed since.  They likely looked at me as trying to get too much, too soon after graduation and Flagship.  Our third cards will come Saeren!

Rebuilding from a sudden, swift and complete credit disaster in early 2014 | Starting Scores 2017 = Very Low 400's
8-1-18 -
12-24-18 -
9-6-19 -
Biz Credit in Order of Approval - Uline, Quill, Grainger, SupplyWorks, MSC, Amsterdam, FuelMan .8K, Citi Tractor Supply Rev .8k, Builder Pro 5.4K, Amazon Net 55 $5.5k, NewEgg Net 30 10k, Richelieu 2k, Wurth Supply 2k, Global Ind 2k, Sam's Club Store 11.k, Shell Fleet 19.5k, Citi Exxon 2.5k, Dell Biz Revolving $15k - All No PG
Message 10366 of 10,494
Super Contributor

I mean I could get my third card today if I sent a SM and took some from one of my other cards. In my case, I just am too poor to have any additional credit extended 🤣.

I will see how things look when my year of Disco match is over. No point taking another hit on my AAOA when I have 4 cards waiting to report and a 5th app pending when I will just SD the card because $50 redemption thresholds are bogus.

Scores 1/2019:
Scores 9/2019:

Message 10367 of 10,494
Regular Contributor

So is it the concensus that your first NFCU card is the sacrificial lamb as usually #2 gets all the love? From what I've been reading #1 is a slow grower almost like bucketed status but in a NFCU benevolent way Smiley LOL

~ This is Chess... It ain't Checkers!!! ~
Message 10368 of 10,494
Super Contributor

@SilverSmith wrote:

So is it the concensus that your first NFCU card is the sacrificial lamb as usually #2 gets all the love? From what I've been reading #1 is a slow grower almost like bucketed status but in a NFCU benevolent way Smiley LOL

It really depends. NFCU doesn’t appear to grant more than 3X on CLI requests most of the time so if you have the income and profile to support a $25K second card and your first card was $5K, it’s not going to go beyond $15K right away and none of us are patient enough to avoid applying for the second card and third card to grow the first 😂 

Scores 1/2019:
Scores 9/2019:

Message 10369 of 10,494
Regular Contributor

Saeren wrote:

Income and DTI are more important to NFCU than scores. They definitely are known to be stricter on third cards than first and second though. The auto decline shocked me since NFCU likes to review just about every app that doesn’t get auto approved. 

Oops, I screwed up this post! LOL.

I got approved for 1K on a cashRewards card almost three months ago. My income is low (22K when I applied; a little more now). My DTI is decent (18-19%) but my util is high (about 70% but going down to maybe 66% with the next report). My debt amount and util were higher when I was approved for the first Navy card, which means my profile is slightly better since I got that first card. My 91/3 comes up next week and I am going to try for the AMEX card with its fab start-up bonus (and the 3% off gas and groceries). This will be my second Navy card. I'm hoping for the best and am willing to risk the hard pull (unless everyone thinks it's hopeless, of course LOL!).

It's a little sobering to hear that you were declined for your third card, and that the third card is harder to get, but I guess it can wait... so grateful to get approved for a card in the first place! My eye is on the Platinum for my third card. That will probably wait until next year...

FICO8: Nov 20, 2018:
FICO8: Sept 6, 2019:
Goal for December 2019: FICO 640-700
Overstock Store Card, $250 limitWalmart Store Card, $200 limitDiscover IT Cash Back, $2000 limitNavy Fed cashRewards, $1000 limitShell Citi store cardNavy More RewardsRIP Green Dot Platinum
Overstock $250, Walmart $200, Discover IT Cash Back $2000, Navy Fed cashRewards $1000, Shell (Citi) Fuel Rewards, $800, Navy More Rewards, $17,000, (Green Dot Platinum Secured, $200, to be cancelled.)

Starting Score: 539
Current Score: 662
Goal Score: 760

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge   |   My credit recovery journal

Message 10370 of 10,494
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.