cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy Federal Thread for CLI and Additional Cards

Auto Loans for ANY Credit Situation. Immediate Response.
Advertiser disclosure
Established Contributor

Re: Navy Federal Thread for CLI and Additional Cards

Navy is feeling VERY generous right now with their More Rewards Amex card, based on the SLs a lot of us are getting this week (thank you, holiday season!). I don't do much travelling, so the Flagship isn't a top priority for me at the moment. I will get a lot of benefit from the 3x More Rewards categories, though. Apply where you feel you will get the most benefit.

Starting Score: Nov 3, 2018: EX 597 TU 599 EQ 616
Current Score: October 1, 2019: EX 665 TU 688 EQ 675
Goal Score: Dec 31, 2019: EX 700 TU 700 EQ 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 10541 of 10,762
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

@Boisvert    Congrats.   That is a monster SL.    Just build history with that and a large CLI with your other card paid down should be a cake walk

Message 10542 of 10,762
Frequent Contributor

Okay, so I spent a bit of my afternoon reading the entirety of my More Rewards Amex booklet(s) and had a question, so I decided to phone up NFCU. As usual, super polite customer service; but they were unable to give me a definitive answer because they are unable to view the Merchant ID codes. 

Under 3x points for Transit, which includes "taxis" per the booklet, does that include rideshare programs such as Lyft/Uber? 

Open LOC:
Paid-off Installment Loans:
2018:
2019:

IN THE GARDEN UNTIL DECEMBER 17, 2019!!
Message 10543 of 10,762
Regular Contributor

I had looked that up coincidentally just a few hours ago (no joke, just a few hrs ago I had same question) and found a blog say that yes, it did include ride share services.

That was a 3rd party blog however. Not NFCU
Message 10544 of 10,762
Super Contributor

@513credit wrote:

Okay, so I spent a bit of my afternoon reading the entirety of my More Rewards Amex booklet(s) and had a question, so I decided to phone up NFCU. As usual, super polite customer service; but they were unable to give me a definitive answer because they are unable to view the Merchant ID codes. 

Under 3x points for Transit, which includes "taxis" per the booklet, does that include rideshare programs such as Lyft/Uber? 

Yes it does. Those are definitely transit. 

01/2019:
10/2019:

Hover over my cards to see my limits!
Goal cards: Does it look like I really need any more cards? My goal is to garden until 2/2020.
Message 10545 of 10,762
Frequent Contributor

@AllZero wrote:

@Boisvert wrote:

But here is my latest approval!

Congratulations on your approval! Navy never ceases to amaze us. I believe there was another member that was approved and had a Navy card with individual utilization around 80% or higher.

That might have been me. Three months ago I got my cashRewards card (1K limit) with approx 80% utilization. (Or something like that. Whatever it was, it was very high.) I was just approved for 17K for the More Rewards AMEX with about 68% utilization. My DTI is pretty decent and I paid in full and often on the first card these past few months.

FICO8: Nov 20, 2018:
FICO8: Sept 25, 2019:
Goal for December 2019: FICO 640-700
Overstock Store Card, $2,250Walmart Store Card, $500 limitDiscover IT Cash Back, $2000Navy Fed cashRewards, $1000Shell Citi store card, $800Navy More Rewards, $17,000RIP Green Dot Platinum
Overstock $2,250, Walmart $500, Discover IT Cash Back $2000, Navy Fed cashRewards $1000, Shell (Citi) Fuel Rewards, $800, Navy More Rewards, $17,000, (Green Dot Platinum Secured, $200, to be cancelled.)

Starting Score: 539
Current Score: 659
Goal Score: 760

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge   |   My credit recovery journal

Message 10546 of 10,762
Established Contributor

@tenaya wrote:

@AllZero wrote:

Congratulations on your approval! Navy never ceases to amaze us. I believe there was another member that was approved and had a Navy card with individual utilization around 80% or higher.

That might have been me. Three months ago I got my cashRewards card (1K limit) with approx 80% utilization. (Or something like that. Whatever it was, it was very high.) I was just approved for 17K for the More Rewards AMEX with about 68% utilization. My DTI is pretty decent and I paid in full and often on the first card these past few months.

Thank you for the update.

It just shows how hard Navy is to figure out. It appears they don't mind high utilization on one of their cards. As mentioned in this thread, income, DTI, their own internal score, length of membership, etc. are one of the many factors in approval decisions not just FICO scores alone.

If it was some other lender, it would probably be insta-denial. With Navy, here's a 5 figure credit line and low APR to boot.

Message 10547 of 10,762
Frequent Contributor

@AllZero wrote:

@tenaya wrote:

Thank you for the update.

It just shows how hard Navy is to figure out. It appears they don't mind high utilization on one of their cards. As mentioned in this thread, income, DTI, their own internal score, length of membership, etc. are one of the many factors in approval decisions not just FICO scores alone.

If it was some other lender, it would probably be insta-denial. With Navy, here's a 5 figure credit line and low APR to boot.

Navy is truly amazing!

Just in case I was unclear, I was approved for my first Navy CC when I had 80% util overall on my existing cards. (Mostly from some closed CCs that I'm slowly paying down.) That's still amazing—that they'd trust me when my debt and util was that bad. But, my open cards were at about 9% util, so maybe that made a difference.

When I was approved for $17K on my Navy AMEX cards, my first Navy card (approved three months before) had always been low util, as I obsessively sent in payments. 

That this other member was able to get approved for a second Navy card when his first Navy card had such high util is AMAZING to me. Navy never does fail to astound! 

FICO8: Nov 20, 2018:
FICO8: Sept 25, 2019:
Goal for December 2019: FICO 640-700
Overstock Store Card, $2,250Walmart Store Card, $500 limitDiscover IT Cash Back, $2000Navy Fed cashRewards, $1000Shell Citi store card, $800Navy More Rewards, $17,000RIP Green Dot Platinum
Overstock $2,250, Walmart $500, Discover IT Cash Back $2000, Navy Fed cashRewards $1000, Shell (Citi) Fuel Rewards, $800, Navy More Rewards, $17,000, (Green Dot Platinum Secured, $200, to be cancelled.)

Starting Score: 539
Current Score: 659
Goal Score: 760

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge   |   My credit recovery journal

Message 10548 of 10,762
Established Contributor

^ Thanks for the clarifications. Yes, amazing approvals all around.
Message 10549 of 10,762
Frequent Contributor

@Saeren wrote:

@513credit wrote:

Yes it does. Those are definitely transit. 

thank you!! (:

Open LOC:
Paid-off Installment Loans:
2018:
2019:

IN THE GARDEN UNTIL DECEMBER 17, 2019!!
Message 10550 of 10,762
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.