Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy Federal Thread for CLI and Additional Cards

tag
recoveringfrombk7
Established Contributor

Re: Navy Federal Thread for CLI and Additional Cards

So my plan was Flagship, and then PC Cash Rewards to Platinum, so that I can BT transfer when they usually offer them after the holidays.

If the FS SUB does not resurface before March, then I would apply for Platinum in Dec/Jan, and would plan to close my Cash Rewards in order to apply for FS when then SUB becomes available.  

How long between cancelling a card before can you apply for your third card?

Desired BK recovery line up complete 7/12/2021. Planning to garden until 8/2023 and potentially try for AMEX.
Message 13801 of 17,187
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@recoveringfrombk7 wrote:

So my plan was Flagship, and then PC Cash Rewards to Platinum, so that I can BT transfer when they usually offer them after the holidays.

If the FS SUB does not resurface before March, then I would apply for Platinum in Dec/Jan, and would plan to close my Cash Rewards in order to apply for FS when then SUB becomes available.  

"How long between cancelling a card before can you apply for your third card?"

This is one question I cannot answer! ... Possibly @K-in-Boston Could?

He'll chime in when He canSmiley Happy

Message 13802 of 17,187
recoveringfrombk7
Established Contributor

@M_Smart007 wrote:

@recoveringfrombk7 wrote:

"How long between cancelling a card before can you apply for your third card?"

This is one question I cannot answer! ... Possibly @K-in-Boston Could?

He'll chime in when He canSmiley Happy

@M_Smart007 Is there a trophy for finding a Navy question you can't answer?  Is it a FS SUB? Haha

Desired BK recovery line up complete 7/12/2021. Planning to garden until 8/2023 and potentially try for AMEX.
Message 13803 of 17,187
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

I don't know the answer but I do recall reading that someone very recently had an issue with the closure not yet being updated on the NFCU side and they were denied.

Message 13804 of 17,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anyone know what day FICO scores update on navy feds website?

Message 13805 of 17,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

Today!

Message 13806 of 17,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks.. I feel silly now, mine just updated.

side note.  I have a question.  Anyone ever burn navy fed and come back?  I have an account that I never used with them.  Had a loan for 2500?  Burned them for 1800ish back in 2008ish.  Paid it off in full this past January.  Started using the checking account I have with them sparingly.  Was approved -after being denied for an unsecured- for the nrewards secured card back on March 29th.  My "third" statement hit on June 16th.  I say "third". Because I've looked through this thread and have seen people say it might not count because it wasn't considered a full statement.  My 91 days came up the other day; declined, still waiting in the letter.  However the next day.  I also apped for an auto refinance, approved.  From capital one at 13.5%, now with navy fed at %8.50 for 8.6k.. not the best.. but when I started my rebuild I was in the 400s and now I'm just cracking the 700s.  Only bads on my report are some lates from student loans, now current after rehab with Navient.  A car loan from 2013 (not with navy fed) with 30/60/and 120 days late, but no repo.  And a charge off medical with 0 balance from 2015.  I was also approved for the $500 cloc the same day as the auto refi.

short version.  I know I have to wait for the letter, but what's the likelyhood navy fed is still keeping me on a short leash because of burning them in the past, or am I overthinking it and I might have just apped too early and need to wait for my fourth; third full, statement to hit?  

thanks for all the advice I've come across on those board.

Message 13807 of 17,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all. Just a quick question (hopefully). I've been a lurker here for a while and it's helped tremendously, at least, considering where I started(the bottom, basically).

I have gradually chipped away at the baddies etc on file, and watched my score go up bit by bit. During these two plus years I've had these cards, I've never requested a CLI. That changed last month and I'm afraid I screwed myself lol. Let me explain..

So I got an unexpected performance bonus from work. Part of me felt guilty given the state of the economy but tbh I've busted my tail for years with little to no recognition so I've come to terms with it. So I took that, plus money id set aside to knock my utilization down, and did just that. My utilization on 15k of cards (not much I know but I'm getting there) went from 85% down to about 10.  My score went up almost 100 points. Navys mobile app shows me at a 718 as of its new update today. That's pretty huge for me.

So I applied for Chase Sapphire Preferred expecting to be denied. Approved for 10k? Huh. That's awesome. So then I circle back to navy fed. To be clear...I had their their flagship with a 10k limit and cash rewards visa for 1700. I think they've GOT to be willing to give me a CLI, no? Never asked for one, score jumped almost a hundred pts since last month etc etc.

So I hit the button. Think I asked for 20k on flagship and 5 on the cash rewards. Goes to review. No worries. Few days later I get my "new" CLI lol. 400 on one, 500 on the other. So I wait on the letter. Stupid me didnt look into when their soft pulls update. So while yes I had a higher score on 6/10 when I applied, as far as their concerned my score was still a hundred points less and would be until it updated again today. Difference of 625 and 720 for what it's worth) My fault. Live and learn. 

So here's my question(sorry for the lengthy post..it's early here and I'm delirious lol). I immediately was irked because I recalled the 3/91 rule, six month between rule, etc from my days here. And I almost wished I'd been denied instead of the miniscule cli I got because I could reapply after my score updated and probably do much better. But I talked to a rep for some time there and she was actually encouraging me to try again this month. Said that it just varies and if my score jumped that much she'd suggest giving it a shot.

Anyone heard of such a thing? If I'm being honest I hate the idea of waiting until after the holidays to try again but if I have to i have to. I guess as long as they're doing SPs it won't really hurt anything other than my pride lol.

One other thing..the 10k Chase card I got approved for end of June is active but  (obviously) hasn't hit my report yet which is another reason I'm not sure if I'm better off waiting for it to show on there or make the leap now. I considered a third card instead of CLI but I tried recently and was shot down although come to think of it I don't recall getting a letter from them with the score i had and the reason..hmm. 

Anyway thoughts? Ever heard of someone getting approved for two CLIs two months in a row even if the first was miniscule? Or any harm in trying that I'm missing even though it's a SP? Also, do they use the same fico 9 for SP updates that they show me in their app with their score tracker? I ask because obviously my fico 8 score is different/lower. Still much higher over last month just not AS high.

Edited to add..just realized how long this was. Sorry. That's why I shouldn't post prior to coffee. 

Message 13808 of 17,187
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi all. Just a quick question (hopefully). I've been a lurker here for a while and it's helped tremendously, at least, considering where I started(the bottom, basically).

I have gradually chipped away at the baddies etc on file, and watched my score go up bit by bit. During these two plus years I've had these cards, I've never requested a CLI. That changed last month and I'm afraid I screwed myself lol. Let me explain..

So I got an unexpected performance bonus from work. Part of me felt guilty given the state of the economy but tbh I've busted my tail for years with little to no recognition so I've come to terms with it. So I took that, plus money id set aside to knock my utilization down, and did just that. My utilization on 15k of cards (not much I know but I'm getting there) went from 85% down to about 10.  My score went up almost 100 points. Navys mobile app shows me at a 718 as of its new update today. That's pretty huge for me.

So I applied for Chase Sapphire Preferred expecting to be denied. Approved for 10k? Huh. That's awesome. So then I circle back to navy fed. To be clear...I had their their flagship with a 10k limit and cash rewards visa for 1700. I think they've GOT to be willing to give me a CLI, no? Never asked for one, score jumped almost a hundred pts since last month etc etc.

So I hit the button. Think I asked for 20k on flagship and 5 on the cash rewards. Goes to review. No worries. Few days later I get my "new" CLI lol. 400 on one, 500 on the other. So I wait on the letter. Stupid me didnt look into when their soft pulls update. So while yes I had a higher score on 6/10 when I applied, as far as their concerned my score was still a hundred points less and would be until it updated again today. Difference of 625 and 720 for what it's worth) My fault. Live and learn. 

So here's my question(sorry for the lengthy post..it's early here and I'm delirious lol). I immediately was irked because I recalled the 3/91 rule, six month between rule, etc from my days here. And I almost wished I'd been denied instead of the miniscule cli I got because I could reapply after my score updated and probably do much better. But I talked to a rep for some time there and she was actually encouraging me to try again this month. Said that it just varies and if my score jumped that much she'd suggest giving it a shot.

Anyone heard of such a thing? If I'm being honest I hate the idea of waiting until after the holidays to try again but if I have to i have to. I guess as long as they're doing SPs it won't really hurt anything other than my pride lol.

One other thing..the 10k Chase card I got approved for end of June is active but  (obviously) hasn't hit my report yet which is another reason I'm not sure if I'm better off waiting for it to show on there or make the leap now. I considered a third card instead of CLI but I tried recently and was shot down although come to think of it I don't recall getting a letter from them with the score i had and the reason..hmm. 

Anyway thoughts? Ever heard of someone getting approved for two CLIs two months in a row even if the first was miniscule? Or any harm in trying that I'm missing even though it's a SP? Also, do they use the same fico 9 for SP updates that they show me in their app with their score tracker? I ask because obviously my fico 8 score is different/lower. Still much higher over last month just not AS high.

Edited to add..just realized how long this was. Sorry. That's why I shouldn't post prior to coffee. 

@Anonymous, Sorry you went through all this, If you think your profile can handle it, I would wait for the CLI's (6 Months)

I will be waiting too!  .. I would apply for a 3rd card. This is all just my humble opinion. take it for what it is worth.

This post is prior to coffee, and the screen is a blurSmiley Very Happy

Message 13809 of 17,187
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Navy Scores Updated today!

Message 13810 of 17,187
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.