Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy Federal Thread for CLI and Additional Cards

tag
ohjoy
Frequent Contributor

Re: Navy Federal Thread for CLI and Additional Cards

You guys were right! After hitting the max exposure reason twice, I decided to go for cli on my platinum card, which is my third card with Navy and my lowest limit with them. I was at $6400 and requested $22K (kicking myself for not asking for the full $25K but didn't want to push it). It went into review. Checked back in a couple hours and the $22K was approved!

So now I'm at:

$25K MR

$22K Platinum

$14K CR

$15K CLOC

Navy. Rocks.

Starting Score (May 2017): 584 TU
Current Scores: 752 TU, 717 EQ, 750 EX

Goal Score: 820+

Message 9001 of 17,187
CerebralZulu
Frequent Contributor

Does Navy keep Cash Rewards limits low? Or is that a first card for a lot hence the lower limits. It appears that a lot of members are getting the flagship and platinum with higher limits. But like I said, those appear to be second and third cards.

Message 9002 of 17,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CerebralZulu wrote:

Does Navy keep Cash Rewards limits low? Or is that a first card for a lot hence the lower limits. It appears that a lot of members are getting the flagship and platinum with higher limits. But like I said, those appear to be second and third cards.

No they do not.  The Cash Rewards was my first card and now has a limit of $24,000. I have only had it a little over a year.

Message 9003 of 17,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CerebralZulu wrote:

Navy only approved me for $3K on my cashRewards but when I asked for a CLI to $7500 at 91/3 I got it without an issue so no, I would not say they keep the limits low although big approvals are definitely more common for the Flagship and Platinum cards. The expectation of higher spend probably applies since the Plat is low interest and comes with BT offer and the Flagship has an AF that will have to be made up with a lot of spend.

Those of us picking the cashRewards as our first card also tend to be building or rebuilding since the cashRewards is just a simple 1.5% cash back card that falls behind all of the higher tier rewards cards like the Citi DC and the travel cards. 

I don’t really think you can extrapolate data from the pool here honestly, especially since NFCU doesn’t have consistent patterns from one person to the next either. 

Message 9004 of 17,187
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Awesome job @ohjoy Smiley Happy If you qualify for even 1 $25k card, always shoot for the 25k because Navy will counter if not and we know anything over 25k will be hpSmiley Wink
Message 9005 of 17,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello all!

Ok, I need your input and expert NF advice here. I'm thinking of applying for my second card with NFCU today. Questions I guess I would have are as follows:

1. What is the next card (2nd one I would have) I should go for? Some stats:

A. I have a modest income of about $32k.

B. Past credit history dirty. Last late payment was a year ago though. No collections or bankruptcy, but a voluntary surrender time-share foreclosure end of 2014. Some 60 day late payments on student loans (no late within a year though).

C. Started the beginning of 2018 with all three major FICO 8 credit scores in the low 500's. Spent the year cleaning up my reports, paying on time, etc. and those same scores are Experian 689, Equifax 708, and Transunion 708. I'm slowly but surely getting there! Smiley Happy

D. Joined NFCU in May of 2018 and first card was a $500 secured nRewards. In December they unsecured it and returned my deposit. Hit 6 months with them yesterday. Did a product change to the cashRewards card in December when it unsecured.

E. I have two store cards, my NF card, and a secured Discover card (due for review 2/22 to unsecure). Total of only $3k in credit lines.

F. I use my cards and pay them off multiple times a month and always close with one showing a balance of 1%. This month my payment didn't get posted though and it closed at 3%. Smiley Sad

G. I have the 1% on everything with Discover (5%+ during quarters and first year) and 1.5% with the NF cashRewards card.

H. Bought a 2017 car in May 2018 (balance owed is down to $3,900) and don't have much other debt than that and 15k in student loans which I'm going to start tackling next month by throwing everything I can at it. The car loan and credit cards I opened in the summer gave me some inquiries...6, 1, 4 respectively. I've been gardening since July so no new credit or inquires in the last 6 months.

With my dirty file, only 6 months with NF, and my low/modest income, any suggestions of what I should app for and how much? I don't want to get a hard pull and get denied.

2. Maybe wait longer??? Trying to be smart here! Also, all my credit files are locked. Should I unlock them all if I'm going to take the plunge or just the one they will probably be pulling from? 

Thank you all in advance and sorry for the LONG post!

Message 9006 of 17,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations on cleaning up so quickly!

Your question is a complicated one. You have the scores for it and the NFCU history is there as well. 

Honestly right now with the fact that only BT offers are there instead of SUB, I would wait until a good offer comes back but the cashRewards 1.5% is the best card unless you can take advantage of the categories offered by the MoreRewards or have the spending needed to offset the AF on the Flagship. 

Also you don’t have experience with a high credit limit card. You might do better to just ask NFCU for a CLI on your cashRewards and build another 90-180 days of history before going for that second card with them. 

Also keep in mind that the other cards require you to redeem cash back at $50, it’s not automatic like the cashRewards. 

With that Transunion score though, I would probably be looking at the PayPal cashback (not the extras) card - 2% back on everything and it’s issued by Sync so you have a good chance at a decent limit with your TU score. 

Any credit apps you should always unfreeze/unlock your credit reports. While the HP will absolutely be one bureau, it’s not uncommon to SP a second and some creditors will HP more than one (not these two though). Both NFCU and Sync HP my TU and SP my EQ. Freeze them again as soon as you get the approval though. 

Message 9007 of 17,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Your question is a complicated one. You have the scores for it and the NFCU history is there as well. 

Honestly right now with the fact that only BT offers are there instead of SUB, I would wait until a good offer comes back but the cashRewards 1.5% is the best card unless you can take advantage of the categories offered by the MoreRewards or have the spending needed to offset the AF on the Flagship. 

Also you don’t have experience with a high credit limit card. You might do better to just ask NFCU for a CLI on your cashRewards and build another 90-180 days of history before going for that second card with them. 

Also keep in mind that the other cards require you to redeem cash back at $50, it’s not automatic like the cashRewards. 

With that Transunion score though, I would probably be looking at the PayPal cashback (not the extras) card - 2% back on everything and it’s issued by Sync so you have a good chance at a decent limit with your TU score. 

Any credit apps you should always unfreeze/unlock your credit reports. While the HP will absolutely be one bureau, it’s not uncommon to SP a second and some creditors will HP more than one (not these two though). Both NFCU and Sync HP my TU and SP my EQ. Freeze them again as soon as you get the approval though. 

Thank you, Saeren! I forgot about the annual fee on the Flagship. I really would prefer to not have a card that has an annual fee. You are right, no great sign up bonuses right now so better to wait. I guess I was just getting excited to get another NF and a higher SL. They did increase (sp) without me asking from $500 to $2k in December so no CLI for another 6 months. I have two spaces left for the Chase 5/24 rule and was wanting to get a Chase Freedom Unlimited, but I don't think my income, scores, or dirty profile support me getting approved right now. A Chase card and my 2nd NF card are the two next moves I've been wanting AND WAITING for (for months now while I rebuild). I guess the timing isn't right for either one maybe right now. I don't want to go for any other card than a NF or Chase card though. I guess I should have stated that earlier. My car loan is with Chase, but I don't think that will matter to them. Thank you for your great advice! 

Message 9008 of 17,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you, Saeren! I forgot about the annual fee on the Flagship. I really would prefer to not have a card that has an annual fee. You are right, no great sign up bonuses right now so better to wait. I guess I was just getting excited to get another NF and a higher SL. They did increase (sp) without me asking from $500 to $2k in December so no CLI for another 6 months. I have two spaces left for the Chase 5/24 rule and was wanting to get a Chase Freedom Unlimited, but I don't think my income, scores, or dirty profile support me getting approved right now. A Chase card and my 2nd NF card are the two next moves I've been wanting AND WAITING for (for months now while I rebuild). I guess the timing isn't right for either one maybe right now. I don't want to go for any other card than a NF or Chase card though. I guess I should have stated that earlier. My car loan is with Chase, but I don't think that will matter to them. Thank you for your great advice! 

Chase Freedom Unlimited seems to be fairly easy to get if you are under 5/24, have you unlocked your reports and checked to see if you’re prequalified (I found out the hard way that you have to unlock your reports to get prequalified offers?

Also, why would you want the Chase version of your cashRewards card? It’s the same 1.5% cash back unless you want it for travel via UR redemption later on, I would say a Freedom would make more sense for the rotating category spend? Freedom was on my list but I am not patient enough to wait til 10/2020 for a card that’s going to be sock drawered most of the year so I have changed my garden goal card to UMB Simply Rewards unless I get the MoreRewards from NFCU for groceries. 

Message 9009 of 17,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Chase Freedom Unlimited seems to be fairly easy to get if you are under 5/24, have you unlocked your reports and checked to see if you’re prequalified (I found out the hard way that you have to unlock your reports to get prequalified offers?

Also, why would you want the Chase version of your cashRewards card? It’s the same 1.5% cash back unless you want it for travel via UR redemption later on, I would say a Freedom would make more sense for the rotating category spend? Freedom was on my list but I am not patient enough to wait til 10/2020 for a card that’s going to be sock drawered most of the year so I have changed my garden goal card to UMB Simply Rewards unless I get the MoreRewards from NFCU for groceries. 

Once again you are right! Freedom would be better for me than the Unlimited. I guess since I only have 2 spots left I really wanted one of them to be Chase. I didn't want to wait another 18 months for the space to open up. I also really wanted a second NF card with a solid SL. I will need to unfreeze my reports and see if I'm prequalified. I wish the Flagship didn't have an annual fee. Smiley Happy))))

Message 9010 of 17,187
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.