Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy Federal Thread for CLI and Additional Cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Navy Federal Thread for CLI and Additional Cards

@SMB85 wrote:

I've been thinking about this too. My 91/3 after getting my starter $500 CR card last year is in a couple of weeks. I'll probably run a LOT through a new account in the next few months so the 1.99% 12 mo offer is appealing -- only sad part is that doesn't apply to the Platinum card. So I'm torn between AMEX and the GOrewards card.

After reading about every other NFCU thread out there it seems like a 3rd card isn't out of the question in say 9-12 months if your profile supports it (reputation score, DTI, solid history with NFCU) at which time the Flagship with a better SUB may be in the cards... Worst case, get the 2nd card now as AMEX or GOrewards and close/merge into your existing account so when applying for Flagship it'd be your 2nd card.

I agree. Honestly I would just hate to go Flagship and miss the sub lol. I have some time to think about it, I just want to have a solid game plan. I tried finding some sort of history out there in the forum regarding reoccuring annual subs but couldnt find anything. I thought this would be the place to ask.

With that I'm definetly leaning towards the AMEX instead of the GO for something of a grocery card but anyones input who has the cards already and things they like or dislike especially regarding points redemption would be awesome.

Message 9091 of 17,187
rbentley
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@SMB85 wrote:

I've been thinking about this too. My 91/3 after getting my starter $500 CR card last year is in a couple of weeks. I'll probably run a LOT through a new account in the next few months so the 1.99% 12 mo offer is appealing -- only sad part is that doesn't apply to the Platinum card. So I'm torn between AMEX and the GOrewards card.

After reading about every other NFCU thread out there it seems like a 3rd card isn't out of the question in say 9-12 months if your profile supports it (reputation score, DTI, solid history with NFCU) at which time the Flagship with a better SUB may be in the cards... Worst case, get the 2nd card now as AMEX or GOrewards and close/merge into your existing account so when applying for Flagship it'd be your 2nd card.

I agree. Honestly I would just hate to go Flagship and miss the sub lol. I have some time to think about it, I just want to have a solid game plan. I tried finding some sort of history out there in the forum regarding reoccuring annual subs but couldnt find anything. I thought this would be the place to ask.

With that I'm definetly leaning towards the AMEX instead of the GO for something of a grocery card but anyones input who has the cards already and things they like or dislike especially regarding points redemption would be awesome.

I have both the GoRewards and the AmEx and am not totally happy with them.  The redemption on both of them starts at $50.  For my spend I think the CashRewards card is better.  I plan on doing a PC and closing the other after transfering the CL.  Your needs and spend may warrant an entirely different approach.

Message 9092 of 17,187
kilroy8
Community Leader
Super Contributor

After the early year BT deals are over, the subs usually come back by April.

I would hold on everything until then.

Message 9093 of 17,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SMB85 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey everyone! 

Im rolling with a newly minted CR 7,800 SL @ 12.9 and I'm doing my research into what will be my next NFCU card. Is there any ryhme or reason to Navys subs? I know the low interest on BTs is the sub right now and I believe that runs until the end of this month. The last 3 months or so of last year the Flagship came with 50k points with a certain amount of spend. Trying to figure out if there is way of predicting thier next solid sub.

I think it would be a bad move to go Flagship without an incentive like the previous sub featuring 50k points. If thats the case then I'm leaning towards the AMEX. I've just been reading about the points redemption and how it isn't as straight forward as I would hope for. 

Any input or thoughts??

Thanks

Honestly, as you mentioned, it really doesnt take much to get a 3rd card as long as your DTI, Income and NFCU history are in check.  I didnt have super high limits on my cards, but i was able to get a 3rd cards in 7 months of starting with NFCU. Lower income, but low DTI and PIF.  Now if you have 2 cards at 25k and a 50k income, then it might be a bit trickier.  

Message 9094 of 17,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi! I probably left money on the table, but I asked for $5k on each card (started at 5,10,15 respectively) and the CLOC (started at 5)...all were approved. Then I asked for a car loan, and they gave me $27,500.

Good luck!

@kugel wrote:
Congrats
What was your limit and the increas amount of each ?

Message 9095 of 17,187
sid33
Regular Contributor

Woke up this morning to an $1700 auto cli on my cash rewards card.  The card hit the one year mark at the beginning on January.   

Message 9096 of 17,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

@sid33 wrote:

Woke up this morning to an $1700 auto cli on my cash rewards card.  The card hit the one year mark at the beginning on January.   

Congrats!

Anything else you are willing to share? What was the previous limit, FICO scores, etc...

Message 9097 of 17,187
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

$50 redemption limit is crazy high especially for us LIErsSmiley Wink. Auto luv is the true unicorn with NavySmiley Wink
Message 9098 of 17,187
sid33
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@sid33 wrote:

Congrats!

Anything else you are willing to share? What was the previous limit, FICO scores, etc...

Sure... The card started out as a Platinum in 10/17 with a $4,200 sl. I did a pc to the Cash Rewards in 01/18. In 10/2018 I requested a cli and received a bump to $11,200. Then the other day is wneh I received the auto cli of $1,700. So now my limit is $12,900.

Other Navy cards: 3/2018- Amex $3,000 sl; 10/2018-Flagship $15k sl.

Current Fico8 scores:

Eq-704, TU-693, Ex-679

Message 9099 of 17,187
rbentley
Established Contributor

@sid33 wrote:

My GoRewards hit the one year mark at the beginning of February.  I woke up this morning to an email from them with the title "Anniversaries are for Celebrating."  I excitedly opened it expecting all manner of goodies only to find .................. a birthday card.  No CLI or other offers.  The card is animated, so there is at least that.

ei.gif

Message 9100 of 17,187
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.