Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy Federal denied Flagship Card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Navy Federal denied Flagship Card?

Yep you didn’t actually mention you had any cards with them in the OP, just the car loan. 

Navy Federal won’t ever issue more than 3 cards at a time. You’ll need to close one and potentially also be prepared to give up some of the limit from another one because the minimum SL for this card is $5K so if you’re at max exposure, that $2K one won’t do it. 

Message 11 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Yep you didn’t actually mention you had any cards with them in the OP, just the car loan. 

Navy Federal won’t ever issue more than 3 cards at a time. You’ll need to close one and potentially also be prepared to give up some of the limit from another one because the minimum SL for this card is $5K so if you’re at max exposure, that $2K one won’t do it. 

May it be better in the long run then to just eat the ding for running the credit and keep my accounts as is in terms of my credit score?

Message 12 of 23
FicoGuy2019
Established Contributor

Will they pc the lowest 2k limit card to another card? 

Message 13 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

May it be better in the long run then to just eat the ding for running the credit and keep my accounts as is in terms of my credit score?

No, closing accounts won’t hurt your credit score unless the utilization is going to go up in response. The account(s) will continue to affect your age factors until up to 10 years later so there’s no immediate negative impact if you open up a new card. It also sounds like this card would be useful to you so I would definitely push for it even if I had to close one card and give up $3K from another one to open it. 

Message 14 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FicoGuy2019 wrote:

Will they pc the lowest 2k limit card to another card? 

Can’t PC to Flagship because it’s a minimum $5K limit, best to just close one of the three and shift limits around from the remaining ones if necessary to open the Flagship. 

Message 15 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

No, closing accounts won’t hurt your credit score unless the utilization is going to go up in response. The account(s) will continue to affect your age factors until up to 10 years later so there’s no immediate negative impact if you open up a new card. It also sounds like this card would be useful to you so I would definitely push for it even if I had to close one card and give up $3K from another one to open it. 

would definitely benefit me and since for work we get reimbursed I would get the currently offered 50k bonus in no time without any out of pocket money being used.

Message 16 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well the only potential negative is a hit to AAoA and AoYA, two relatively minor factors, it sounds like the pay off is worth it so I would start working with them on getting the card. 

Message 17 of 23
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Navy has somewhat strict UW for the Flagship. 15% DTI could be too much for the criteria on that card. They are very DTI-focused. 

Honestly we have seen people with 800s and very high income get denied the Flagship, they really seem to be picky about who gets it. All you can do is wait for the letter and then depending on what it says, try to make a case for reconsideration. 

I sent a message since I really want this more than the Penfed PathFinder card which does not seem as good with the rewards or perks.

Best of luck! If it was an instant denial, you may succeed in getting them to reconsider it. 

They really don’t seem to issue many Flagships as the first CC with them but seeing how you do have an auto loan, I would think that would hold some value (they won’t use your banking relationship in UW decisions at all). 

I actually have 3 credit cards with them currently. All paid in full each month.

I wonder if you have reached your internal maximum with NFCU. What are the CLs for your 3 cards and your auto loan?

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 18 of 23
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@FicoGuy2019 wrote:

Isn't 3 cards the max?  That would be why.

Ahhh good catch. I overlooked that.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 19 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@FicoGuy2019 wrote:

Isn't 3 cards the max?  That would be why.

You might be right, in that case, I would ask them if they can close the one with like a 2k limit and do this card instead. 

Did that and called this morning to apply for the card, got approved right away with 25k limit and 13%. Now hope the rush shipping gets here before my TSA precheck appointment on Thursday.

Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.