cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy Federal denied Flagship Card?

jgr208
New Member

Navy Federal denied Flagship Card?

I have started traveling a lot for work and wanted to start using a different card other than my Citi AA card (the miles are great but I barely use them) and get the TSA precheck for free. 

 

I am a NFCU member for about 3 or 4 years now, doing all my banking and loans (so far only car) with them along with having a high 700s credit score around the 760-790 range depending on where the score is from making around 78k a year and have a low (below 10%) credit card utilization.

 

I was confident I would be approved then got declined. Does anyone see anything that would make them not approve me for the card?

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
FicoGuy2019
Frequent Contributor

Re: Navy Federal denied Flagship Card?

What's your DTI?  They would have pulled TU for a new app.

 

Based on the tons of info here DTI plays a major part in their underwriting.   Was it instant denial or was it reviewed? 

 

Also, Flagship is generally not the first card people app for.  I will be at my 91/3 in July and plan to app for Flagship.  I did the CR for 1st card with 10k at 11.9%.  You can always call and ask and maybe they can use the same pull for another card.

 

 

 

Message 2 of 23
jgr208
New Member

Re: Navy Federal denied Flagship Card?

around 15%.

Message 3 of 23
jgr208
New Member

Re: Navy Federal denied Flagship Card?


@FicoGuy2019 wrote:

What's your DTI?  They would have pulled TU for a new app.

 

Based on the tons of info here DTI plays a major part in their underwriting.   Was it instant denial or was it reviewed? 

 


Around 15% and an instant denial. 

Message 4 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Navy Federal denied Flagship Card?

Navy has somewhat strict UW for the Flagship. 15% DTI could be too much for the criteria on that card. They are very DTI-focused. 

 

Honestly we have seen people with 800s and very high income get denied the Flagship, they really seem to be picky about who gets it. All you can do is wait for the letter and then depending on what it says, try to make a case for reconsideration. 

Message 5 of 23
jgr208
New Member

Re: Navy Federal denied Flagship Card?


@Anonymous wrote:

Navy has somewhat strict UW for the Flagship. 15% DTI could be too much for the criteria on that card. They are very DTI-focused. 

 

Honestly we have seen people with 800s and very high income get denied the Flagship, they really seem to be picky about who gets it. All you can do is wait for the letter and then depending on what it says, try to make a case for reconsideration. 



I sent a message since I really want this more than the Penfed PathFinder card which does not seem as good with the rewards or perks.

Message 6 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Navy Federal denied Flagship Card?


@jgr208 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Navy has somewhat strict UW for the Flagship. 15% DTI could be too much for the criteria on that card. They are very DTI-focused. 

 

Honestly we have seen people with 800s and very high income get denied the Flagship, they really seem to be picky about who gets it. All you can do is wait for the letter and then depending on what it says, try to make a case for reconsideration. 



I sent a message since I really want this more than the Penfed PathFinder card which does not seem as good with the rewards or perks.


Best of luck! If it was an instant denial, you may succeed in getting them to reconsider it. 

 

They really don’t seem to issue many Flagships as the first CC with them but seeing how you do have an auto loan, I would think that would hold some value (they won’t use your banking relationship in UW decisions at all). 

Message 7 of 23
jgr208
New Member

Re: Navy Federal denied Flagship Card?


@Anonymous wrote:

@jgr208 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Navy has somewhat strict UW for the Flagship. 15% DTI could be too much for the criteria on that card. They are very DTI-focused. 

 

Honestly we have seen people with 800s and very high income get denied the Flagship, they really seem to be picky about who gets it. All you can do is wait for the letter and then depending on what it says, try to make a case for reconsideration. 



I sent a message since I really want this more than the Penfed PathFinder card which does not seem as good with the rewards or perks.


Best of luck! If it was an instant denial, you may succeed in getting them to reconsider it. 

 

They really don’t seem to issue many Flagships as the first CC with them but seeing how you do have an auto loan, I would think that would hold some value (they won’t use your banking relationship in UW decisions at all). 


I actually have 3 credit cards with them currently. All paid in full each month.

Message 8 of 23
FicoGuy2019
Frequent Contributor

Re: Navy Federal denied Flagship Card?

Isn't 3 cards the max?  That would be why.

Message 9 of 23
jgr208
New Member

Re: Navy Federal denied Flagship Card?


@FicoGuy2019 wrote:

Isn't 3 cards the max?  That would be why.


You might be right, in that case, I would ask them if they can close the one with like a 2k limit and do this card instead. 

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.