Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy Federal nRewards Secured CLI

tag
Boribori
Contributor

Navy Federal nRewards Secured CLI

I oepened my NFCU nrewards CC back on April 7th 2021. I believe it's already been 91 days. For those people who got a CLI, did you get an email about the automatic review? I haven't gotten anything. I've put about $2400 in spend on the card since the account has been open with a $200 deposit. 1% utilization on statement date. What am I doing wrong? 

Total Credit Limit : $29,600
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Navy Federal nRewards Secured CLI

You can increase the credit limit by adding funds. If you're referring to the card graduating, it usually happens anytime after the sixth month. You've only had your card three months so you're on the right track. 

Message 2 of 11
Boribori
Contributor

No I was talking about the partial CLI after 3 months

Message 3 of 11
NotRalphKramden
New Contributor

@Boribori wrote:

I oepened my NFCU nrewards CC back on April 7th 2021. I believe it's already been 91 days. For those people who got a CLI, did you get an email about the automatic review? I haven't gotten anything. I've put about $2400 in spend on the card since the account has been open with a $200 deposit. 1% utilization on statement date. What am I doing wrong? 

Not everyone gets a 3 month partial unsecure, even if you are doing everything right.  At 106 days after opening card, I received an e=mail including this verbiage:

It’s almost time for us to review your account to see if you’re eligible to upgrade to our cashRewards credit card.

I received no increase in limits until 2 days after my 6th statement cut when my Available Credit increased. The next day my credit limit increased from $200 to $2000.  2 days after that, the title on the account changed from nRewards to cashRewards. 6 days later received a new cashRewards card.

My advice is patience. 

Message 4 of 11
Boribori
Contributor

Ahhh I see, thank you for that information. I just use it a lot and the $200 is small. I have to pay it off so often. Thank you for that DP

Message 5 of 11
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Boribori wrote:

Ahhh I see, thank you for that information. I just use it a lot and the $200 is small. I have to pay it off so often. Thank you for that DP

At some point, depending on your credit profile?

You might want to apply for a 2nd un-secured card with Navy.

Message 6 of 11
Boribori
Contributor

I've thought about it, but not just yet 

Message 7 of 11
NotRalphKramden
New Contributor

@Boribori wrote:

I don't think Navy is like Citi secured, where your CL is set in stone. You may be able to increase your deposit to give yourself more room.

I had other cards so I paid an average of twice per month. $150 at a time, so I didn't try.

Message 8 of 11
USMC_Winger
Frequent Contributor

@Boribori wrote:

You're probably doing everything correctly.  If you haven't seen a CLI by now, go ahead and call Navy Fed and check whether a CLI is scheduled for your secure nRewards CC.

Some background info:  I didn't get a 3-month CLI on my Navy Fed nRewards VISA, but from my research, it doesn't look like those who did receive a CLI at 3 months got any notice.  Some just saw a new CL.  Others didn't get a CLI, so they called Navy Fed to check if a CLI was coming.  The CSR almost always said, "No," but a few of them saw a CLI a few days later.  When the CSR said, "It's processing right now," they got a CLI within a few days.

Last year when I didn't see a CLI at 3 months, I called Navy Fed.  The CSR told me that for those who were approved, the secure nRewards CLs were only raised to between $500 and $1,000 at 3 months, due to the economic situation.  (A $2,000 CL at 3 months was common before the pandemic, even with a $200 deposit.)  But it was after regular business hours, so I ended up sending a secure message, cited my perfect payment history and long-term checking and savings account history with never a problem and asked if I could expect a CLI after 3 months.  The reply a day later told me that I could increase my CL myself in $50 increments.

FICOs:

Message 9 of 11
Corpsman

@Boribori 

I'm in the holding pattern myself, standing by in order to continue standing by. I opened the secured nRewards on St. Patrick's day 03/17/21 with $250. I kept getting annoyed at charging and PIF hitting up against the small $250 limit paying bills that I ended up calling in about 06/20/21 and asking to add money to the deposit a few days before my 3rd statement cut on 06/23/21 hoping that they would double the CLI at 90 day review with that new deposit in there, or at the least I could pay bills in one shot from my deposits alone instead of charge and PIF to get the rewards and add history to the account, either way it would work out. I was told adding to the deposit was going to be a HP and I decided to do it adding another $250 for $500 total. Two hours later the app/online reflected $500 available credit limit and the $250 they requested I move into my savings sat there untouched for almost a week. I kept waiting for the HP to hit my credit monitoring apps but it never did...must have only been a SP. I thought maybe they just did the 3mo CLI right then and choose not to take my deposit and weren't going to lock the funds...but about 9 days later they did lock it away. Since then there has been no other CLI although I did get the email mentioned above on 07/07/21 saying "It’s almost time for us to review your account to see if you’re eligible to upgrade to our cashRewards credit card."   SO.....I have no idea what is going on over there at NFCU or if my wanting to have funds added screwed things up.  I guess worst case, I learned adding funds is likely a SP if I want to do that again, but it would be nice to know if they DID review me for the CLI and found me wanting or if for whatever reason they just haven't or aren't going to do the review and hope for better luck at six months. Hopefully some of my data points helps you.

Starting Scores 05/25/22

Current Scores 08/15/22
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.