Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy Federal super disappointing SL :(

tag
cinnamongirl
Contributor

Navy Federal super disappointing SL :(

I just became a member of Navy Federal-- yay! I had heard so many good things about them that I was excited to get in apply for a card, do a few balance transfers and pay down my debt faster! 

I applied for the platinum card (lowest rates!) and was approved for $1,000. <sigh>  I called in for recon and was told they don't do reconsiderations.  Any advice? Can't exactly transfer balances with that limit.

My lowest limit on any other visa/mc is $10,000. 

Ficos--all around 730

Income 91k 

credit usage 7%

AAOA  3yrs 2mo

Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Navy Federal super disappointing SL :(

You can try sending them a secured message and see if that yields anything. However, if UW sticks with the original SL decision there's not much that can be done other than use the CC and build history with NFCU. You can eventually try a CLI when the account becomes eligible.

On the upside, at least you were approved vs a decline.
Message 2 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@cinnamongirl wrote:

I just became a member of Navy Federal-- yay! I had heard so many good things about them that I was excited to get in apply for a card, do a few balance transfers and pay down my debt faster! 

I applied for the platinum card (lowest rates!) and was approved for $1,000. <sigh>  I called in for recon and was told they don't do reconsiderations.  Any advice? Can't exactly transfer balances with that limit.

My lowest limit on any other visa/mc is $10,000. 

Ficos--all around 730

Income 91k 

credit usage 7%

AAOA  3yrs 2mo

I have a friend who had a fairly similar experience with Navy Federal; he asked and was approved for a 3X CLI after 90 days and 3 statement cuts so perhaps that's in your future.

Message 3 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

With your profile I'd be disappointed too. Chin up, in 91/3 you'll get a 2nd card for 20K or more & years from now you'll smile when telling the story of how little luv Navy 1st gave you back in the day.

Message 4 of 27
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Yup as the others say, give it 90 days and hit them for another CC. The next one will knock your socks off!!!😀
Message 5 of 27
cinnamongirl
Contributor

Awww.. thank you James! You gave me a ray of hope :-)
Message 6 of 27
cinnamongirl
Contributor

Actually, I didn’t see all the responses!! Thanks to all of you who offered positive thoughts!
I’m trying hard to dig out of debt before my teenagers want to go to college (2020 & 2023) NFCU was a big part of my 2019 plan. Dang, it’s expensive to raise kids alone!
Message 7 of 27
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Dont worry, with your income, i see 25k limits coming your way. You could always be a LIEr and get my $500 slSmiley Wink. But things turned out well for me and they will for you tooSmiley Happy
Message 8 of 27
ohjoy
Frequent Contributor

Yep. We'll be waiting right here to laugh about this with you in about 3 months. Navy. Rocks. You'll see.

Starting Score (May 2017): 584 TU
Current Scores: 752 TU, 717 EQ, 750 EX

Goal Score: 820+

Message 9 of 27
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

There’s a saying @cinnamongirl.
A temporary setback is only a setup for a comeback.

So, use that NFCU card a lot and PIF so NFCU sees that even though you have other $10K cards that you will be using there card too.

Yep, like everyone else said, you’re going to be singing in the rain soon.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.