Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy Federal super disappointing SL :(

tag
CerebralZulu
Frequent Contributor

Re: Navy Federal super disappointing SL :(

Same boat. I decided to wait it out for 6  months to a year to see what that brings.

Message 11 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

wait for 91+ days and apply for 2nd card and Navy can be very GENEROUS with Massive CL Smiley Wink just be patient.

Message 12 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with most, be happy it was an approval vs decline. I feel you are in better shape than I was.

I was declined in 9/5/18, applied for secured after decline and approved for $500. Used it running maybe 1500 through it. Applied for flagship on 11/5/18, approved for $10k. I know its best to wait now for 91/3 but I didnt know it at the time. I was also approved that same day for $15k CLOC. So they like relationships and history.
Message 13 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm in a similar situation to the OP, having applied for the NFCU Cash Rewards Visa in late August and only getting a $1K SL. I've both used and paid that card generously over the last five months, so I figure I'm getting near to where I can try asking for a CLI. I do remember being told, when I asked about it/searched the forum a while back, that while 91/3 is the minimum for requesting a CLI, it's often considered better to give it 6 months/statements in order to optimize building your history with them. I haven't really considered applying for another NFCU card because I'm focusing on growing my existing cards and getting my inquiries aging off my reports for at least the next few months (except for CLI requests which require HP's), and also I think my current card profile is pretty much filled out already; if I apply for another card during this year, it'll probably be an Amex once my BK discharge has aged enough that I can start getting pre-qualified/pre-approved offers from them.

Message 14 of 27
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm in a similar situation to the OP, having applied for the NFCU Cash Rewards Visa in late August and only getting a $1K SL. I've both used and paid that card generously over the last five months, so I figure I'm getting near to where I can try asking for a CLI. I do remember being told, when I asked about it/searched the forum a while back, that while 91/3 is the minimum for requesting a CLI, it's often considered better to give it 6 months/statements in order to optimize building your history with them. I haven't really considered applying for another NFCU card because I'm focusing on growing my existing cards and getting my inquiries aging off my reports for at least the next few months (except for CLI requests which require HP's), and also I think my current card profile is pretty much filled out already; if I apply for another card during this year, it'll probably be an Amex once my BK discharge has aged enough that I can start getting pre-qualified/pre-approved offers from them.

I hate to tell you this, but when you apply for a CLI with NFCU, it's usually a hard pull. You have a better chance of avoiding the HP if you apply shortly after their FICO score on the site for you is updated -- usually about a week into the month. But even then a HP is more likely than a SP.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 15 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I hate to tell you this, but when you apply for a CLI with NFCU, it's usually a hard pull. You have a better chance of avoiding the HP if you apply shortly after their FICO score on the site for you is updated -- usually about a week into the month. But even then a HP is more likely than a SP.

Actually, yes, I do know - so I'm going to have to check back to see when they next update my FICO score. I think it was last updated earlier this month, so if they're doing it every other month (I seem to remember they do), I'll have to make sure to try the CLI early next month. I'm expecting a HP anyway, which is why I said "except for CLI requests requiring HP's". The thing is that I believe they check Equifax and I have two EQ HP's dropping off in February.

Message 16 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was very underwhelmed with my $500 limit on my first Navy card too.

I got my garden goal timer ticking down to the 6 month mark and so far EQ 09 score has gone up 40 points.

From the reports here I'm fairly confident I'll get a nice SL on that 2nd card.

Message 17 of 27
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Next Navy AR should be in March
Message 18 of 27
ngoaa
New Contributor

OP

So strange that you got $1K SL with your profile... But look at the responses you've been getting from everyone.

Basically, give it time because yeah, you got this! Congrats on the approval! 

Message 19 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Apply for a 2nd/Different card?  I dont recall if you can get two at once but I believe SL's vary for whatever reason lol (I think?)

Message 20 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.