Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy disappointment

tag
CreditKick
Valued Member

Navy disappointment

After adding 7 cards last year, my thought for this year is to slow it down to 1 new account every 3 months.  Don't really need any more credit, just applying more or less as a hobby now.  So Tuesday,  apped for the Navy flagship.  I've had my cash rewards card with them for 6 months now, and was given a cli on it from 6k to14. I was pretty much expecting an instant approval with a 25k limit. Got the 24-48 hr message, but wasn't too worried, since I've seen several posts here of the same, and most seemed to end up with a card with a great limit a few hours later.  Then, I got the denial.  I was surprised, but still thought I'd be approved on recon, as I've also seen reports of this.  Alas, somehow,  it is not to be for me.... denied on recon.  They said I do not qualify for the minimum 5k line for this card.....  pretty surprised, to say the least..... ficos range from ex775 to tu798 or so.  TU was what they pulled.  All of this was after being "pre qualified"  for any card according to their site.  Don't know now whether I'll wait another 3 months and try again, or take Amex up on a pre approval 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
GatoradeZeroGuy
Valued Contributor

Re: Navy disappointment

@CreditKick wrote:

After adding 7 cards last year, my thought for this year is to slow it down to 1 new account every 3 months.  Don't really need any more credit, just applying more or less as a hobby now.  So Tuesday,  apped for the Navy flagship.  I've had my cash rewards card with them for 6 months now, and was given a cli on it from 6k to14. I was pretty much expecting an instant approval with a 25k limit. Got the 24-48 hr message, but wasn't too worried, since I've seen several posts here of the same, and most seemed to end up with a card with a great limit a few hours later.  Then, I got the denial.  I was surprised, but still thought I'd be approved on recon, as I've also seen reports of this.  Alas, somehow,  it is not to be for me.... denied on recon.  They said I do not qualify for the minimum 5k line for this card.....  pretty surprised, to say the least..... ficos range from ex775 to tu798 or so.  TU was what they pulled.  All of this was after being "pre qualified"  for any card according to their site.  Don't know now whether I'll wait another 3 months and try again, or take Amex up on a pre approval 

call them up and ask them to prevent your CashRewards from getting any automatic credit line increases. This way, when you do qualify for more limit over time, you won't get that additional limit as a CLI, you'll be able to get another card instead.

You'll need time to get Navy to increase your maximum overall limit. 

Do also feel free to express your feedback that their inability to gracefully allow you the option to move CL from your CashRewards to a new card provides a poor customer experience and they should consider implementing changes to allow for this. 

Starting FICO 8:

Current FICO 8:

3/6, 5/12, 14/24

Message 2 of 8
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

As a quick addon,  there's a fair amount of history pointing to the NFCU online credit card prequalifier as emperically being less than reliable. 

Also, while it's common to get a much better starting limit with one's 2nd NFCU card than their 1st one that isn't universally true either.   As we all know life can be full of surprises, even when dealing with NFCU.

Sorry to hear of the failure at recon. 

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 3 of 8
kickhard88
Contributor

i think also its better to get the second card first than get a cli

Message 4 of 8
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@CreditKick wrote:

NFCU can sometimes throw a curve ball on plans so temper expectations. A couple of things that could help are to let time do its thing and allow your reports to breathe a little from having any new accounts lower AAoA further. So, if you don't really need it, perhaps be selective on the CCs that may be worthwhile in the long term.

Also, as mentioned upthread, the pre-qualification tool is not 100% solid -- several reports from members indicating denials despite what the magical tool spits out. I'm sure in time you'll be able to get this card. 

Message 5 of 8
mfinsmi1
Established Contributor

@CreditKick Your credit score seems really good so i would focus on building up the nfcu relationship add a CD pledge loan enable OOPS protection - they like to see you use all their products and have direct deposit before extending more credit.  If you do this now in 90 days you should be good to apply again. 

Personal Cards (Over $100k):

Business Cards:

Rebuilding Starting Scores - December 2021

FICO SCORE 8/9 - Current 1/6/23

Stats: : 3/6; 8/12; 17/24 --- AAoA 3 YRS, 8 MO --- INQ: EX-6/TU-7/EQ-2
Message 6 of 8
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Pretty much everything has been covered. Prequal isn't very reliable, temper expectations, and let your reports cool off before any new apps.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 7 of 8
pakratus
Contributor

For some reason I got the Cash Rewards with a 25k limit and went on to get the More Rewards with 1k........  I suppose I would have been denied for the same reason if I had gone for the Flagship as my second card.

It is possible that getting a CLI used up the available credit they are willing to extend to you at this time.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.