Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Advice on next move

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need Advice on next move

Hello,

Some quick facts about me: 37, freelancer with an s-corp, about 60K per year in 1099s before taxes. Only have capital 1 secured plat. at $1300 for 1yr 3mo, 100% payment history. No derogatory marks or collections of anything like that on the report. Usage 1-9%. I have business checking and personal at chase. I applied for a chase ink business cash card (after 1yr of having cap1) and was denied; tried reconsideration.  1 month later applied to chase freedom and denied. When I first applied my scores were even higher like a 764 and 750s. I'm a freelance food stylist with lots of spend at grocery stores that get reimbursed. I do have prime and shop whole foods a lot. not preapproved for business Prime card??  What can I realistically get approved for? Kinda shakey about applying for anything now. Amex says preapproved for Cash Magnet, every day, Green card. and Pre-approved for Business cash, business gold, blue business. But for some reason, Discover doesn't pre-approve me for anything other than the secured it card?  Does anyone have any advice on what my next move is? I'm even scared to try to get a brokerage account from Schwab!

A couple of things I'm not sure about: Become Authorized user of wife on chase. she has excellent credit. 800 score prob 8 years are there any drawbacks to doing this?  Wells Fargo business secured card? 

Experian fico 8 - 743

Transunion - 729

Equifax - 729

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Ficoproblems247
Valued Contributor

Re: Need Advice on next move

Have you tried CapitalOne prequal?  I know you have a secure card with them already, but given you have a solid history with them it may help your cause in qualifying for an unsecured card.  They are known to like heavy spend, and given it's your only current card you may have that covered already.  Just a thought to maybe get in with an unsecured card.  

FICO 8 Sep '23 EX 755 EQ 765 TU 739
TCL $199,800
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I’m curious to hear what the experts think. It may not be useful information, but for reference My score is similiar but we have seemingly different profiles. I’m not self employed and I actually have a few 90 and 120 day lates from student loans that have yet to fall off. I started with loans, secured card, authorized user and now I seem to get approved. I think my income and debt to income help. Good luck.
Message 3 of 8
ZackAttack
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello,

Some quick facts about me: 37, freelancer with an s-corp, about 60K per year in 1099s before taxes. Only have capital 1 secured plat. at $1300 for 1yr 3mo, 100% payment history. No derogatory marks or collections of anything like that on the report. Usage 1-9%. I have business checking and personal at chase. I applied for a chase ink business cash card (after 1yr of having cap1) and was denied; tried reconsideration.  1 month later applied to chase freedom and denied. When I first applied my scores were even higher like a 764 and 750s. I'm a freelance food stylist with lots of spend at grocery stores that get reimbursed. I do have prime and shop whole foods a lot. not preapproved for business Prime card??  What can I realistically get approved for? Kinda shakey about applying for anything now. Amex says preapproved for Cash Magnet, every day, Green card. and Pre-approved for Business cash, business gold, blue business. But for some reason, Discover doesn't pre-approve me for anything other than the secured it card?  Does anyone have any advice on what my next move is? I'm even scared to try to get a brokerage account from Schwab!

A couple of things I'm not sure about: Become Authorized user of wife on chase. she has excellent credit. 800 score prob 8 years are there any drawbacks to doing this?  Wells Fargo business secured card? 

Experian fico 8 - 743

Transunion - 729

Equifax - 729

After reading this, I see that you still have a while to focus on. If it was me, I would head to Discover because that secure card is useful for you to try on getting an unsecured card. If it was my guess, having only one credit card that was secured and nothing else doesn't have that much weight with people compared to an unsecured of who they can trust. I am not sure if Capital One will switch it to unsecured after hearing they may have taken that away now for their secured cards.

As for the Chase Ink Business Card that you have tried to get, I don't think you have hit the min credit line so it would be auto denied for you along with what I said above.

Another route you can go is try and see if a Credit Union will offer you a credit card that is unsecured to get you started or try and get the Chase freedom credit card (not unlimited!). If you have a personal (like you said) and kept on feeding direct deposits into it, they may let you slide by with a $500 credit line that is unsecured to get you started.

If those don't work, I would try using Cap 1 pre-qual or use one of the Amex that isn't business to get started for the unsecured card.

------

Is there anything that is hurting any of your bureaus? Late Payments? Collections?

MSGCU Rewards | $8kDiscover Cash It | $10kAmex BCP | $15kBest Buy Visa | $20kChase Freedom Flex | $8kDCU Platinum | $8kNFCU Plat | $35kNFCU cashRewards | $24kAffinity FCU Cash Rewards | $7kAmazon Prime | 12.5kChase Unlimited | 16.4kUSAA Cashback Rewards Plus Amex | 10kAmex Business Cash | 10k

Loans
Ford Credit Car Loan 2-year 6/22/2023 ($299/month)
Closed
Michigan Schools & Gov't CU Titanium 1/4/2019 - 10/2/2020
Ford Credit Car Loan 3-year 7/31/2018-6/6/2021
$1,500 Discover Card 10/2/2020 - 8/18/2021
$3,500 Citi DC 10/14/2020 - 12/11/2021
$8,000 DCU Personal Loan 5-year 5.99% 10/2/2020 - 4/30/2021
$8,000 NFCU CashRewards 1/2/2021 - 7/30/2022
$5,000 MSGCU Personal Loan 3-year 7.75% 4/22/2022 - 10/30/2022
Ford Credit Car Loan 2-year 6/7/2021 - 6/22/2023
Message 4 of 8
kudosalert
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello,

Experian fico 8 - 743

Transunion - 729

Equifax - 729

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello,

Experian fico 8 - 743

Transunion - 729

Equifax - 729

Dont get another secured card, will just tie up cash as deposit. Pick an Amex that suits your lifestyle. They should give you a pretty decent SL with your profile and then 3x after 61 days. My profile is very similar to yours.

In my wallet:

In my desk:
Message 5 of 8
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Lots of good advise from above.

I would recommend joining a credit union or two or three or more. Some offer low APR, cash back, and travel credit cards.

Navy Federal Credit Union - membership restrictions.

Pentagon Federal Credit Union - open membership.

Message 6 of 8
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello,

Experian fico 8 - 743

Transunion - 729

Equifax - 729

Hi and welcome to myFICO

First, we need to know the reason for the declines. What did the letters say? 

Second. I think it would be a good idea to be added to DW cards as long as UT is low. 

Third, since you have pre-approvals from AmX, IMO it's worth pulling the trigger on the one that meets your needs. 

GL2U

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do the AU, grab a Discover, AmEx, whatever you can get. Chase doesn’t really want to see you until you’ve got a little older credit history.

Credit unions indeed.

Just get some tradelines and get some positive payment history going and then let it age.

Great advice above. And truly we need more information
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.