cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need balance transfer card

Auto Loans for ANY Credit Situation. Immediate Response.
Advertiser disclosure
Highlighted
Established Member

Need balance transfer card

I have three cards currently. The balances have gotten kind of high lately, due to car repairs and other expenses. I can make the minimum payments OK, but that doesn't really make much of a dent. I was hoping to apply for a new card just for balance transfer (no new purchases). I applied for a Chase card and just got the letter that I've been declined due to high balances relative to credit limits. Will I be turned down for other cards? Should I (or even can I) get my credit limit raised? I want to pay these balances off as soon as possible, but I don't want to take forever doing it. What are my next steps? 

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Super Contributor

Re: Need balance transfer card

Have you tried Discover Card Pre Qualify page?

Message 2 of 20
Established Member

Message 3 of 20
Super Contributor

@pfisterfarm wrote:

Not yet... it is this one?

https://www.discovercard.com/application/prequal

YES!

Message 4 of 20
Community Leader
Valued Contributor

Yeah, deifnitely try for Discover. Their card is great for BTs and then even after you pay it off. 

Discover It: 19.7k
Amex BCE: 18k
Citi DC: 5.7k
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Once you go Berner, you never go back.
Message 5 of 20
Established Member

One of my current cards is a Discover... will that be a problem?

Message 6 of 20
Senior Contributor

Amex has BT offers attached to their BCE and BCP aand CM cards.  Try their prequal tool

Exactly, what is your current debt / total CL  ratio.  Are you looking too transfer all your balances to the new card or just a portion.  What are your current FICO scores

3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>12/2019 CCT EX 815 TU 824 EQ 825
Jack Webb: "That figures. Now let me see if I got the facts straight here. Cleaning woman Clara Clifford discovered your clean copper clappers kept in a closet were copped by Claude Cooper the kleptomaniac from Cleveland. Now, is that about it?"
Message 7 of 20
Super Contributor

No, You can Have (2) Discover Cards.

Message 8 of 20
Frequent Contributor

@pfisterfarm wrote:

One of my current cards is a Discover... will that be a problem?

You can have 2 as long as your first one was obtained at least a year ago.

BK7 Discharged 12/16

EQ8/9: 674/725 | TU8: 683 | EX8: 735
Message 9 of 20
Established Contributor

Note: if you want to balance transfer a current balance with a disco card, you WILL NOT be able to transfer that to another disco card.

I do not believe any bank will allow BT from one card to another card held by same bank.

just wanted to put that out there if you were not aware and that is the plan

[Penfed Platinum Rewards 10k][TD Ameritrade-2k][BOA Cash Rewards 22k][NFCU cashRewards 25k][TDcash 5k][IHG 14.2k][BOA 15.8k][Amazon Prime Store 10k][Amazon PrimeVS 500][Amex BCE 6k][WellsFargo CashWise 14k][PNC Core 19.5k][WalmartMC 10k][SearsMC 12.5k][Lowes 35k][Toyota 15k][Capital One 5250][BP 10k][Home Depot 24.2k][Chase FU 6.6k][Discover 22.5k]
- [BOA CR $12.5k][Amex SC+ $13.5k][Amex B4B $35k][Chase Ink $45k][PNC $26.5k]
Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.