cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

*UPDATE* Need help, weird Chase FU application situation!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: **bleep** chase? please help!

Sit tight and wait 30 days before applying again.

Apply in person with at least 2 forms of ID and have the banker call them after completing the app.

Alternatively go to a branch and open a savings account or something along those lines to establish your identity prior to applying for the CC.

Message 11 of 26
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

I would be thoroughly annoyed after all of that. Has she checked her credit reports? Make sure her address and other relevant information is correct. If there are mistakes or inconsistencies, fix them. After that, I agree with obscure. Wait 30 days and apply in branch. Maybe consider opening an account if you really want to get in with Chase. Otherwise, I’d move on.

Message 12 of 26
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@ibebarrett wrote:

Chase has been giving my girlfriend the biggest run around.

May 1st filled out a Freedom Unlimited application. Got a confirmation of application email. Didn't hear anything else.

Called May 6th to check status of application. Chase rep said there was no record of a previous application. Told my girlfriend to reapply. Ended call and reapplied. Called back to confirm this one went through. Representative said that there were now two applications and that she needed to wait for denial letters. The letter for the first application arrived at her mom's house in Alabama. The letter for the second application arrived at our home in Washington. First one got denied because "some of the information was not correct" second one got denied for being a duplicate. 

Called back to say hey! I am the applicant and I would like to verify my information. Fraud department asked her all the security questions, they asked her several times for her email and seemed to think it was incorrect even though it was the one she was receiving the Chase confirmations at. Now both applications are denied and closed, and no one will tell her what she can do to verify her identity. She's asked if she can go to a physical location to provide verification but no one seems to know. They just keep telling her "you can reapply". Even when we try to call the recon line, all they want to do is forward us to the fraud department who have not interest in talking to her or helping her verify her identity. She's been told the application is closed and cannot be accessed, that it is still processing, that "the fraud department has it so I dont know", that she did not answer security questions, that her answers to security questions were not sufficient, and that all she can do is reapply. 

No one can provide a consistent answer and now Chase want her to put a 3rd inquiry on her credit with no actual answer of why these applications are being denied.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to what to do next?

I'm kind of confused myself. Why did GF use two different addresses? IMO, since one denial went to an address in Washington and another to an address in Alabama, I think I understand why Chase is overly concerned about possible identity fraud. This really is protection for your GF that Chase is being extra cautious, and especially if the security questions can't be answered. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 13 of 26
ibebarrett
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Sit tight and wait 30 days before applying again.

Apply in person with at least 2 forms of ID and have the banker call them after completing the app.

Alternatively go to a branch and open a savings account or something along those lines to establish your identity prior to applying for the CC.

I am 100% confident my girlfriend is who she says she is, the information she provided is consistent with her credit report, and she has a pointless 2nd inquiry due to a mistake on Chase's end. They still havent even given us a solid answer as to why she was denied, this seems abnormal enough that I feel like chase would be confused as well and review it. Is there nothing we can do or any department we can talk to that would allow us to appeal? 

FICO 8. EQ - 682. EX - 703. TU - 703
FICO 9. EQ - 735. EX - 716. TU - 749

Capital One Quicksilver - $2350 || Care Credit - $23500 || Costco Citi - $7500 || Redstone FCU Secured - $350 || Chase FU - $6600 || Discover - $2100 || Apple Card - $5000 || Wells Fargo - $7000 || REI Co-op - $15,500 || Citi Diamond Preferred - $2800
AMEX Amazon Business - $5500 || Chase Ink Unlimited - $3000
Message 14 of 26
ibebarrett
Regular Contributor

@KLEXH25 wrote:
I would be thoroughly annoyed after all of that. Has she checked her credit reports? Make sure her address and other relevant information is correct. If there are mistakes or inconsistencies, fix them. After that, I agree with obscure. Wait 30 days and apply in branch. Maybe consider opening an account if you really want to get in with Chase. Otherwise, I’d move on.

all information on her report is consistent with the information she provided them

Capital One Quicksilver - $2350 || Care Credit - $23500 || Costco Citi - $7500 || Redstone FCU Secured - $350 || Chase FU - $6600 || Discover - $2100 || Apple Card - $5000 || Wells Fargo - $7000 || REI Co-op - $15,500 || Citi Diamond Preferred - $2800
Message 15 of 26
ibebarrett
Regular Contributor

@CreditInspired wrote:

@ibebarrett wrote:

May 1st filled out a Freedom Unlimited application. Got a confirmation of application email. Didn't hear anything else.

Called May 6th to check status of application. Chase rep said there was no record of a previous application. Told my girlfriend to reapply. Ended call and reapplied. Called back to confirm this one went through. Representative said that there were now two applications and that she needed to wait for denial letters. The letter for the first application arrived at her mom's house in Alabama. The letter for the second application arrived at our home in Washington. First one got denied because "some of the information was not correct" second one got denied for being a duplicate. 

Called back to say hey! I am the applicant and I would like to verify my information. Fraud department asked her all the security questions, they asked her several times for her email and seemed to think it was incorrect even though it was the one she was receiving the Chase confirmations at. Now both applications are denied and closed, and no one will tell her what she can do to verify her identity. She's asked if she can go to a physical location to provide verification but no one seems to know. They just keep telling her "you can reapply". Even when we try to call the recon line, all they want to do is forward us to the fraud department who have not interest in talking to her or helping her verify her identity. She's been told the application is closed and cannot be accessed, that it is still processing, that "the fraud department has it so I dont know", that she did not answer security questions, that her answers to security questions were not sufficient, and that all she can do is reapply. 

No one can provide a consistent answer and now Chase want her to put a 3rd inquiry on her credit with no actual answer of why these applications are being denied.

I'm kind of confused myself. Why did GF use two different addresses? IMO, since one denial went to an address in Washington and another to an address in Alabama, I think I understand why Chase is overly concerned about possible identity fraud. This really is protection for your GF that Chase is being extra cautious, and especially if the security questions can't be answered. 

That's the weird part, she didn't use both addresses, the first fraud letter was sent to her old address in alabama automatically, but we have proof that we moved and she lives at our new address in Seattle.

Message 16 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Appeal or not... it's time to let the dust settle. 

How did Chase get the Alabama address in the first place? App? CR? Doesn't make much sense.

The issue is jumping the gun on the 30 day wait which is usually an inconsistency in the info provided and the info pulled.  Usually they reach out within a week to verify things.   CSR's sometimes don't see apps if they go straight to fraud for review. 

Message 17 of 26
ibebarrett
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

How did Chase get the Alabama address in the first place? App? CR? Doesn't make much sense.

The issue is jumping the gun on the 30 day wait which is usually an inconsistency in the info provided and the info pulled.  Usually they reach out within a week to verify things.   CSR's sometimes don't see apps if they go straight to fraud for review. 

I'm assuming they got it from her Credit report, thats the only other address on there? I hear what your saying about the 30 day wait, more than anything its frustrating that they told her to reapply. I've seen so many times on this forum where the standard CSR's ended up causing more bad than good, I should have known better and told her to wait before applying again. We were honestly pretty shocked when her mom contacted us about a letter for my gf from chase!

Message 18 of 26
ZackAttack
Established Contributor

@ibebarrett wrote:

I would just head to a Chase branch will a full credit report printed to talk about what has happened.

MSGCU Rewards | $8kDiscover Cash It | $10kAmex BCP | $15kBest Buy Visa | $20kChase Freedom Flex | $8kDCU Platinum | $8kNFCU Plat | $35kNFCU cashRewards | $24kAffinity FCU Cash Rewards | $7kAmazon Prime | 12.5kChase Unlimited | 16.4kUSAA Cashback Rewards Plus Amex | 10kAmex Business Cash | 10k

Loans
Ford Credit Car Loan 2-year 6/22/2023 ($299/month)
Closed
Michigan Schools & Gov't CU Titanium 1/4/2019 - 10/2/2020
Ford Credit Car Loan 3-year 7/31/2018-6/6/2021
$1,500 Discover Card 10/2/2020 - 8/18/2021
$3,500 Citi DC 10/14/2020 - 12/11/2021
$8,000 DCU Personal Loan 5-year 5.99% 10/2/2020 - 4/30/2021
$8,000 NFCU CashRewards 1/2/2021 - 7/30/2022
$5,000 MSGCU Personal Loan 3-year 7.75% 4/22/2022 - 10/30/2022
Ford Credit Car Loan 2-year 6/7/2021 - 6/22/2023
Message 19 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ibebarrett wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm assuming they got it from her Credit report, thats the only other address on there? I hear what your saying about the 30 day wait, more than anything its frustrating that they told her to reapply. I've seen so many times on this forum where the standard CSR's ended up causing more bad than good, I should have known better and told her to wait before applying again. We were honestly pretty shocked when her mom contacted us about a letter for my gf from chase!

I guess we sort of have the answer then.  So, if you still want to contest it right now it's probably going to be more of a headache than waiting it out and trying again later.  Right now though Chase has their radar up and won't do much and the computer will auto deny based on the multiple apps in a short period of time.  Once everything expires on their end it should clear up some of the issues and make it easier to apply again.  A couple of HP's isn't going to hurt anything all that much.  

Cosnider it a lesson learned and patience is a virtue to be used with Chase when they go pending for 30 days. 

Message 20 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.