Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with credit card decisions

tag
Quame15
Contributor

Need help with credit card decisions

Start off I have trans 703 exp 690 equ 677 I have aaoa of 1 year and 8 months I have
Navy federal 70 out of $34000
Capital qs 0 of $1800
First premier 2 years on time just recent close
Huntington just opened Dec 12, 0 of $1900
American MCe dec 12 0 of $1000
Chase freedom Un Jan 2 0 of $3300
Discover opened dec 10 60 of $15000

I have 3 mail preapproval 2 from citi
Citi simplicity
Citi double cash 24. 99 apr and 0 intro 9 mths
And boacash reward 0 apr intro 12 cycles and bal transfer in first 60 days

Which one u think I should take which one comes with better sl and or cli
10 REPLIES 10
Rogue46
Established Contributor

Re: Need help with credit card decisions

I'd try to get in with Citi over BoA.

Message 2 of 11
Quame15
Contributor

Which citi card!? And both say 4 out of 5 applicants are approved
Message 3 of 11
Rogue46
Established Contributor

Double cash would be the better choice in my opinion.  That or the Chase freedom are on my list of cards to get in the future

Message 4 of 11
xaximus
Valued Contributor

Depends on which will work better for you. Don't apply for cards that you don't benefit from. If anything, I would get the Citi DC simply because it's a 2% CB card. If you have a lot of spend in the 3% categories, then you can get the BoA Cash Rewards as well. Otherwise, if the cards don't benefit you, I would lay low for now.

Scores - All bureaus 770 +
TCL - Est. $410K
Message 5 of 11
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Hi OP
Just for my curiosity. Why do you want to apply for anything? You have a nice arsenal of great cards, with great CLs, and extremely low balances. Your Disco card will earn you double cash back rewards during the first year and you can wrack up in categories.

As @xaximus said, it really depends on what you want from a card.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditInspired wrote:
Hi OP
Just for my curiosity. Why do you want to apply for anything? You have a nice arsenal of great cards, with great CLs, and extremely low balances. Your Disco card will earn you double cash back rewards during the first year and you can wrack up in categories.

As @xaximus said, it really depends on what you want from a card.

+1 

I wouldn't apply for a CC if I'm not getting anything from it. Sure, the SUB but these cards, as far as I know, do not offer AMAZING SUBs that would make me take a inquiry hit if I don't need to. If you have a reason to do it, then go ahead otherwise I would just work on the cards that you already have, try to get some credit line increases and then, maybe, apply for better cards or start working on a strategy to maxime your rewards

Message 7 of 11
Quame15
Contributor

What are better cards?
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't know much about the citi DC card, but I like the citi simplicity card because they almost constantly offer balance xfers with $0 transfer fee and 10.99% rate on the transfer for 24 months - for my credit scores, that's a good rate to occasionally xfer higher-rate card balances to. You may get a better rate and SL than I did, and if you like balance xfers, I would go with the Simplicity card.

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the Citi Double cash card, its ok but not the best. I use it for all my monthly bills like phone service, insurance, netflix ect so i can get money back for those purchases. Note that the 1 percent on purchases is only on APPROVED purchases, and only on unpaid purchases AFTER the statement is cut, so half of your purchases wont be approved, and the half that do, if you make a payment before the statement is cut, you wont earn anything on them anyway, which means if you want credit you will always have to have a reported balance. Not sure what your looking for in a card, but i dont see an AMEX on your list. I was approved for my first AMEX at around your scores, you can always go thru the preapproval first. I have a personal grudge against BOA so i wouldnt recomend thier card, and dont have experience with the Simplicity card.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.