cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need some advice, Amazon Store Card or target RedCard?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need some advice, Amazon Store Card or target RedCard?

So I just started my credit journey in the 1st week of September 2021. I Have a capital one secured, and a Chime Credit builder, both opened in the same week.  I waited a few months, Then in November I opened up a petal2 unsecured card 500 dollar limit. As well as a kickoff and Extra account.  Just because I wanted To fill up my History worth positive reporting. I am now sitting at 687 for TU, and 667 for EQ.  According to Experian u still do not have a Fico 8.  Let me instead I would like to apply for Either the target red card or Amazon store card. I have heard both are easy to get? Is it worth the hard inquiries? 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
SUPERSQUID
Valued Contributor

Re: Need some advice, Amazon Store Card or target RedCard?

@Anonymous wrote:

So I just started my credit journey in the 1st week of September 2021. I Have a capital one secured, and a Chime Credit builder, both opened in the same week.  I waited a few months, Then in November I opened up a petal2 unsecured card 500 dollar limit. As well as a kickoff and Extra account.  Just because I wanted To fill up my History worth positive reporting. I am now sitting at 687 for TU, and 667 for EQ.  According to Experian u still do not have a Fico 8.  Let me instead I would like to apply for Either the target red card or Amazon store card. I have heard both are easy to get? Is it worth the hard inquiries? 

I can only speak for target red card. I got it early when my scores were low 600's and my bk7 was under 1 year so i would say its easy to get. In my case my sl was only 300 and its hard to get cli's from them although i moved from 300-700 in 14 months, ymmv.

EDIT - I remember getting the kohls card and firestone automotive cc around the same time. The kohls grew from 300-1500 in 14 months and the firestone grew from 1k to 2800 in 12 months

{ BK7 DC 12/2019 } target 1600/ kohls Visa 7000/ discover IT cb 6500 / 2nd discover IT cb 6000/mercury 4100 / firestone 2800 /legacy 3000 /first savings bank cc 3000/ cap1 QS 5000/ cap 1 savor one 3100 /Bread rewards Amex 4k, Penfed PCR signature visa 10k/ penfed gold 7.5k NFCU >signature visa cash rewards 21700/bread cashback amex 8000

>/ nfcu platinum 15k, BABY NEEDS NEW SHOES !!!!!
closed-- reflex, applied bank, first digital, mission lane, ikea, fingerhut, big lots, valero gasoline, ollo, more to come
Rebuilding since September 2020
who i burned - chase, cap 1, TD bank, Sync, were the biggies
Income 40k
Total utilization around 20 pct depending on my current usage/needs
Ficos in the 680 - 690 range, the 9's slightly higher than the 8's
My vantage scores 708 - 711
TCL - about 110k
Retired since 2017
Message 2 of 4
EAJuggalo
Established Contributor

I would go with the Amazon card from Synchrony.  They have a history of being generous with CLIs 5% back on Amazon purchases is pretty good and if you really want the Red Card you can always get a Red Card Debit that links to your checking account and get almost all of the benefits without a CC.

Something else must be on your reports for EQ and TU.  You need a credit history of 6 months in order to have a FICO score.  When I first started using credit again in 2016 I had an old Chase Auto loan on my report that allowed me to get a score as soon as my first new account reported, then the auto loan dropped off and for 5 months I had no score.

EX700 TU 704 EQ 694 4/03/22
Cap1 QS-$4,500 Chase Freedom Flex- $800 Chase Freedom Unlimited- $1,000 Victoria's Secret- $1,200 Citi DC- $800 Amazon Store Card- $3,500 AMEX Hilton Honors-$1,000 Discover It-$1,000 Wal-Mart MC $290 Chase Sapphire Preferred-$5,000 NFCU Flagship $13,800 AMEX BCE-$1,000 AMEX Gold-$5,000 AMEX Delta Blue $1,000 Lowe's $5,000 Navy Platinum $17,000 AMEX BBP $2,000
Message 3 of 4
Herestohoping19
New Contributor

I concur having been through some of those cards myself target redcard is a rough one for increases kept it for 2 years with no increase even though I used it and requested monthly and this is with at that point 670ish scores across the board and low inq. Kohls I had excellent success with even low 600 scores and limit grew regularly even with low usage. Of course as has been said YMMV and this is only my opinion based on what I've used. If you plan on just a builder card you may or may not keep I wouldn't bother with target if you want a card that will grow. Amazon store card is excellent though I didn't get it until 700+ scores so I don't have the data on approval odds on that or growth with profiles other than my own.

Starting Score: 600
Current Score: 702
Goal Score: 760

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.