cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need tires, whos the easiest to get approved by ?

tag
JOHNINAZ
New Contributor

Re: Need tires, whos the easiest to get approved by ?

So now I have credit card remorse. First off I just dont like Firestone so I took that off the list. I checked Paypal and they say they offer a minimum of $250 so I was worried that would happen then it would kind of defeat the purpose of paying for the tires on credit if I had to drop 3/4 of the purchase price out of my pocket.

So I decided to try Walmart and was approved (YEAH!) for $700.00. I was fine with this until I sourced the tires I needed and lone behold the listed ones they have are not 100% identical to the OE recommended. Ive been in the automobile biz for 40 years so I know they will still work but I was kinda PO'ed because I searched the exact size then forgot to actually check they were instead I just looked at the price instead of the size, 255/60R19 not 255/55R19's.

Well this had me thinking maybe I should just try Discount Tire, they have the exact ones I would like which are $975 (installed bla bla bla) but they have 2' $100 mail in rebates if I buy they by tomorrow. One for buying 4 tires and the other for using there credit card.  Whoo Hooo..... I can get there card, buy the tires then use the $200 on the Visa gift cards to apply towards the balance.... perfect plan huh ?  It was until they DENIED ME !!!!!! They claim not enough revolving credit (via Experian) and not enough history !!!! 

UGH !!!! in closing again, thank you from all who offered an opinion. I ended up buying the Walmart ones (which are fine) but I am PO'ed at myself now because I have 2 pulls I am sure, and one is a denial !

Oh well life goes on, least I get 6 months no finance charge on the Wally World card, that will be paid off so they are still interest free :-)

Starting Score: 539
Current Score: 645,630,615
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 11 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@JOHNINAZ wrote:

So now I have credit card remorse. First off I just dont like Firestone so I took that off the list. I checked Paypal and they say they offer a minimum of $250 so I was worried that would happen then it would kind of defeat the purpose of paying for the tires on credit if I had to drop 3/4 of the purchase price out of my pocket.

Just as an FYI, Paypal Credit may approve you for a purchase above your limit if you qualify. Pretty much the only way to get CLIs from them. If you try to purchase something above your limit through, say, an eBay listing and you're not approved, it just won't go through and you can just not try again with that payment method. No harm, no foul.

Message 12 of 24
elim
Senior Contributor

another FYI, I would have recon'd the waly limit before i put anything on the card.

congrats on the tires!

Message 13 of 24
Stralem
Established Contributor

Dude, just find a local car shop or a small independent tire shop and get a set of four for like $100.

They'll probably be mismatched (different brands), but they'll have tread. Just make sure they don't sell you a patched tire.

Best of all, these types of places only operate on cash, so there's no paper trail.

Been using these places for years without any problems.

I Have Way Too Many of These.

American Express - No CLI or Appreciation Gift in 7 Years

Citibank - Handing Out Credit Limits Like Candy

Chase - Surprisingly, Still Tolerating My Credit-Chasing Ways

Bank of America - My Newest Bae.

Everyone Else.
Message 14 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Stralem wrote:

Dude, just find a local car shop or a small independent tire shop and get a set of four for like $100.

They'll probably be mismatched (different brands), but they'll have tread. Just make sure they don't sell you a patched tire.

Best of all, these types of places only operate on cash, so there's no paper trail.

I agree here for trying to find ONE replacement tire, a common OEM brand but otherwise I can't say just how potentially unsafe this is.

Message 15 of 24
Stralem
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Stralem wrote:

I agree here for trying to find ONE replacement tire, a common OEM brand but otherwise I can't say just how potentially unsafe this is.

Only two blow outs in five years. They comped me a free tire and a $50 Visa gift card as an apology.

It was pretty nice.

I Have Way Too Many of These.

American Express - No CLI or Appreciation Gift in 7 Years

Citibank - Handing Out Credit Limits Like Candy

Chase - Surprisingly, Still Tolerating My Credit-Chasing Ways

Bank of America - My Newest Bae.

Everyone Else.
Message 16 of 24
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

I can't see your scores since I'm on mobile but Firestone is probably the easiest. But the Paypal/ebay method suggested is probably the smartest way.
Message 17 of 24
Erusidhion
Frequent Contributor

Note: Didn't read your update. Can you get the tires you want on the website and just have them shipped to the store and then installed? Smiley Sad It's still a good card to have though! They are generous on their CLIs.  

Wal-mart Credit Card is a good way to go. You can get 6/12/18/24 months 0% apr financing depending on how much you spend in one go. They have a coupon you can print out and just take into the store with you. Hell, you could put 6 months of groceries on 24 months 0% financing if you truly wanted. It's one of the better cards to carry for a lot of situations since Wal-mart sells pretty much everything. I am not sure if you can use the same offer buying stuff online; I haven't tried. Good luck though! Buying tires sucks but if you balance/rotate and take care of them they can last a long time. Be proactive and protect your investment.

EQ 654 -- 43 Inquiries
TU 695 -- 54 Inquiries
EX 668 -- 50 Inquiries

Utilization: 9% AAoA: 20 months Total History: 3Y
Updated: 08/04/2017 Premier 3B
Message 18 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Stralem wrote:

Three things you never buy used:

1. Tires

2. Mattresses

3. Underwear

Message 19 of 24
racer-x
Valued Contributor

Eru - You may be able to have the tires shipped to the store, but I believe it will VOID ebay/Paypal coverage/guarantee.

They can't cover/protect your items if you choose to ship them somewhere else and a 3rd party loses them, damages them, steals them, etc...

I could be wrong, but I'm a long time ebayer/paypal acct holder and do a lot of business there.

Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.