Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Never thought id say this .. Im looking at a store card... Amazon Prime

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Never thought id say this .. Im looking at a store card... Amazon Prime

I'm probably preaching to the choir at this point in the thread, but +1 for the Amazon Prime store card. I haven't carried over a balance yet, but the idea of 0% interest always waiting there for a big purchase is just too good to pass up for me. I know the stigma against store cards may not make it seem preferable, but I don't want to have to pick up a new Visa just to get 0% if I need a new lawnmower right now.

Message 11 of 22
gibeon
Established Contributor

I havr used the heck out of that 0%. Last christmas, and then I needed a new saw. They have a section in the accou t where you can see which promotional purchases have been paid, which ones haven't and how much left there is before they are, and (the big incentive to pay it down) howuch deferred interest is waiting if you don't pay it off before the promo period ends.

I did just pay mine off though... so it worked great for me!
23 Open Bank Cards / 7 Open Store Cards / TOO many inquires / Mid/High 600's
Message 12 of 22
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

While the Amazon store card is fine, there are other options.  The Cash+ still has bookstores as a 5% category ($2000 per quarter).  Over the holidays Freedom and Discover IT normally have Amazon as a 5% category.  You can get Amazon gift cards everywhere (although, not as convenient).

My biggest gripe about store cards is they count against you for your home/auto insurance score.  Too many store cards could cause you to pay more for insurance.

Message 13 of 22
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@CreditDunce wrote:

While the Amazon store card is fine, there are other options.  The Cash+ still has bookstores as a 5% category ($2000 per quarter).  Over the holidays Freedom and Discover IT normally have Amazon as a 5% category.  You can get Amazon gift cards everywhere (although, not as convenient).

My biggest gripe about store cards is they count against you for your home/auto insurance score.  Too many store cards could cause you to pay more for insurance.

Huh where did you get this information from?  One of my best friends is a VP of pricing/uw for a large auto insurance company and said he has never heard of such a thing.  Yes they use third party vendors to pull credit for pricing.

Message 14 of 22
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

We had a thread about this a few months ago.  The starting point was a CR article that mentioned retail cards hurt your auto insurance score:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/car-insurance/auto-insurance-special-report/index.htm?utm_content...

We then delved into the risk codes for LN.  TU also has an auto insurance score model:

https://consumer-solutions.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2523?entry=0193#0193

The more retail, gas, personal finance accounts (all separate factors) you have, the more your score is hurt.  Having one store card will probably not hurt much, but it does hurt a little.   If you are interested in your LN home/auto scores, you can purchase them from LN.  CK used to give you your TU auto score.   In my case,  I was hurt mostly by the number of new accounts I had.  Although, I still had an ok score.   I have one store card.

Message 15 of 22
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

I don't have the card but Amazon, all the way to their CS, is top notch. I even bought a couple items that were under $15 that I didn't like, they gave me a refund and I said I didn't  have to have the product sent in. Who does that?

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 16 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

It's funny that you mention this... the Amazon Prime store card is actually the only PLCC I don't have that I would be interested in getting.  Smiley Wink

Like others have mentioned the promotional financing can come in handy, and 5% off nearly everything is difficult to beat.

The only reason I've not already jumped on it is my local Kroger has Amazon gift cards, and I can buy them there and get 6% cash back with my BCP and earn fuel points at the same time.  If I ever move where there's not a grocery store that sells Amazon GCs or (heaven forbid) I lose my BCP I'll definitely be knocking on the door of the Amazon Store card.  Smiley Very Happy

My 2 cents on this. If you're already paying for Amazon Prime then it's a no brainer to use the Amazon Store Card.

You might initally get a higher cash back with BCP by buying Amazon GC in supermarkets, but you're also paying 2 annual fee's; $99 for Amazon Prime and $75 for BCP

I've had a Prime membership for the past 5 years and sadly only found out about the store card 2 months ago, ever since then I've shifted my subrictions and general purchases on the card and have been raking in the cash back^_^

Message 17 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've had Amazon prime for a couple of years and it's very convenient if you use Amazon a lot like I do. The shipping is very fast and their cs is excellent. I've actually had them call my cell phone a few times when I wasn't home to receive a package to reschedule delivery. Also had a delivery not arrive on time and they've refunded my purchase.

I don't have the store card but I do have Amazon chase cc. Also Discover covers my amazon purchases as well. Doesn't really make sense to have several cards to cover Amazon. But it's a very tempting card.
Message 18 of 22
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

It's funny that you mention this... the Amazon Prime store card is actually the only PLCC I don't have that I would be interested in getting.  Smiley Wink

Like others have mentioned the promotional financing can come in handy, and 5% off nearly everything is difficult to beat.

The only reason I've not already jumped on it is my local Kroger has Amazon gift cards, and I can buy them there and get 6% cash back with my BCP and earn fuel points at the same time.  If I ever move where there's not a grocery store that sells Amazon GCs or (heaven forbid) I lose my BCP I'll definitely be knocking on the door of the Amazon Store card.  Smiley Very Happy

My 2 cents on this. If you're already paying for Amazon Prime then it's a no brainer to use the Amazon Store Card.

You might initally get a higher cash back with BCP by buying Amazon GC in supermarkets, but you're also paying 2 annual fee's; $99 for Amazon Prime and $75 for BCP

I've had a Prime membership for the past 5 years and sadly only found out about the store card 2 months ago, ever since then I've shifted my subrictions and general purchases on the card and have been raking in the cash back^_^

I would agree with you if someone didn't already have either card, and was only looking for a way to get a discount on Amazon purchases... in that case, the Amazon Prime store card is the clear winner.  Smiley Wink

In my own case, I already have the BCP and would have it regardless since my grocery store purchases are high enough on their own to justify the AF, even if I didn't buy Amazon gift cards.  I also have Amazon Prime, and similarly the savings I get from free shipping alone justifies the Prime AF. 

The only thing the Amazon card would offer me that I'm not getting already is promotional financing, which I admit comes in really handy at times.  Smiley Wink

Message 19 of 22
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

Im sorry but if you have to state in the thread header that you are "looking at a store card" then I think you should say no.  Obviouslly the idea of having one disgusts you in some fashon.

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.