Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Credit Card app advice

tag
JustJay119
Regular Contributor

New Credit Card app advice

Hey guys, im just looking for some advice. I was recently approved for CapOne Quicksilver One last week with a $1000 limit and currently hold a credit union card with $500. Im looking to add one more card as I rebuild. I recently tried the BoA secured and was denied due to my previous charge off. Recon analyst was very nice but said she couldnt approve either. Any adivce on should I try recon again, app for another card or just hold on to the two I have. Thanks

Some Background

Charge Offs - 2017

Toyota Auto Finance: Owe $8000

Capital One QS1: $1000, settled

Amazon Chase: $2500, settled

AMEX Everday: $5500

AMEX Blue Cash: $1200, settled

Best Buy: $5000

Current

NYMCU(Local Credit Union):$500

Capital One QS1: $1000

Income: 90K

Current

AU

Banking

Scores 10/15/21
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: New Credit Card app advice

I would try to take care of those charge offs first, as most of them have some pretty hefty balances and the creditors could potentially sue you to get their money back.

Once they're taken care of, your scores and file would be in MUCH better shape and open the door to better opportunities.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@JustJay119 I am sorry to hear about your denial for BoA Secured. They seem to have a higher credit score requirement. I would suggest Discover, they have a prequal page that you can try out. Another option might be a credit union secured card:

- Discover (Can graduate in 7-8 months)

- Navy FCU (You or a family member need military affiliation)

- SDFCU (Secured Card graduates)

Good luck on your rebuilding journey! Also I would highly suggest you reach out to AMEX and inquire about the Optima card program. 

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@JustJay119 

Discover prequal for sure like @Anonymous  said (and Navy if you are eligible)!! Please keep us updated on what you decide to do!! Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 11
JustJay119
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@JustJay119 

Discover prequal for sure like @Anonymous  said (and Navy if you are eligible)!! Please keep us updated on what you decide to do!! Smiley Wink

ok thanks. Will do!

Current

AU

Banking

Scores 10/15/21
Message 5 of 11
JustJay119
Regular Contributor

@JustJay119 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@JustJay119 

ok thanks. Will do!

yeh so I decided to add discover it secured to the line up.

Current

AU

Banking

Scores 10/15/21
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@JustJay119 wrote:

@JustJay119 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@JustJay119 

ok thanks. Will do!

Congrats, that is an awesome choice that will graduate with some history and upon graduation, there should be a nice auto CLI as well! Thanks so much for the update and I'm very happy for you and the decision to go with Disco!! Smiley Very Happy

Message 7 of 11
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@JustJay119 wrote:

@JustJay119 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@JustJay119 

ok thanks. Will do!

Congratulations on your approval!

IBTL.

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@JustJay119 Congrats! Discover has perhaps one of the best secured cards. It can graduate in 7-8 months and there is usually a cli to 2000. 

If you don't like the 2% cashback on Restaurants and Gas, you can switch to the rotating 5% categories (Restaurants and PayPal purchases this quarter) by reaching out to their customer service.

Good luck and don't go over the limit. 

Message 9 of 11
JustJay119
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@JustJay119 Congrats! Discover has perhaps one of the best secured cards. It can graduate in 7-8 months and there is usually a cli to 2000. 

If you don't like the 2% cashback on Restaurants and Gas, you can switch to the rotating 5% categories (Restaurants and PayPal purchases this quarter) by reaching out to their customer service.

Good luck and don't go over the limit. 

Thanks. I actually planned to keep this in the car and use it as a dedicated gas card. 2% will do just fine.

Current

AU

Banking

Scores 10/15/21
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.