cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Discover IT account CLI Experiences?

tag
MrPSS
Regular Contributor

New Discover IT account CLI Experiences?

Hello everyone,

I just opened a new Discover IT 2 weeks ago with a SL of $7K and I’m curious if there’s anyone out there that could provide insight as to the possibilities of getting a CLI already?

I’m doing a BT for $4K and would like some additional padding.

Can you provide insight as to any success stories with CLI requests on new accounts, potential negative effects, things to consider etc? I’m planning on hitting the luv button after the 3rd statement anyhow, but would rather try now and after 3rd statement, unless trying now would force me to wait longer than 3 statements?

Thank you!
Current: Gardening...

FICO 8: EX:TU:EQ:

As of Aug 2020. Total CL: $46,600; Goal: $50,000
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Re: New Discover IT account CLI Experiences?

It’s SP, so you can always try. However I would hold off until after that 3rd statement. Don’t want to look greedy lol. 7k is a nice SL anway in my opinion. Have no fear—Disco grows well. 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 2 of 8
calyx
Super Contributor

@MrPSS wrote:
Hello everyone,

I just opened a new Discover IT 2 weeks ago with a SL of $7K and I’m curious if there’s anyone out there that could provide insight as to the possibilities of getting a CLI already?

I’m doing a BT for $4K and would like some additional padding.

Can you provide insight as to any success stories with CLI requests on new accounts, potential negative effects, things to consider etc? I’m planning on hitting the luv button after the 3rd statement anyhow, but would rather try now and after 3rd statement, unless trying now would force me to wait longer than 3 statements?

Thank you!

If you want to get a CLI so soon, and because of a BT, it would probably be best to call in and talk to someone to explain your situation.  The CLI/Luv button will very likely yield nothing as your account is brand new.

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 3 of 8
TheConstant
Regular Contributor

I tried yesterday for a CLI a week after 2nd statement cut, and was flat out denied with "not eligible for an increase" message.

Util on that card is under 10% and paid in full both times. Util total is under 20%.

Goal Score:800

[ AmEx Blue Cash Preferred - $34500 ]
[ Chase Sapphire Reserve - $22400 ]
[ BofA Unlimited Cash Rewards - $31000 ]
[ BofA Cash Rewards - $18000 ]
[ Citi AAdvantage Platinum - $15000 ]
[ Chase Freedom Flex - $12000 ]
[ Cap. One QS - $7800 ]
[ Cap. One QS - $7000 ]
[ AmEx EveryDay Preferred - $5000 ]
[ Discover IT - $4500 ]
Message 4 of 8
ZackAttack
Established Contributor

@TheConstant wrote:
I tried yesterday for a CLI a week after 2nd statement cut, and was flat out denied with "not eligible for an increase" message.

Util on that card is under 10% and paid in full both times. Util total is under 20%.

@pinkandgrey wrote:

It’s SP, so you can always try. However I would hold off until after that 3rd statement. Don’t want to look greedy lol. 7k is a nice SL anway in my opinion. Have no fear—Disco grows well. 

I tried when my card was 2.5 statements age. I got denied for "not enough experience"

MSGCU Rewards | $8kDiscover Cash It | $10kAmex BCP | $15kBest Buy Visa | $20kChase Freedom Flex | $8kDCU Platinum | $8kNFCU Plat | $35kNFCU cashRewards | $24kAffinity FCU Cash Rewards | $7kAmazon Prime | 12.5kChase Unlimited | 16.4kUSAA Cashback Rewards Plus Amex | 10kAmex Business Cash | 10k

Loans
Ford Credit Car Loan 2-year 6/22/2023 ($299/month)
Closed
Michigan Schools & Gov't CU Titanium 1/4/2019 - 10/2/2020
Ford Credit Car Loan 3-year 7/31/2018-6/6/2021
$1,500 Discover Card 10/2/2020 - 8/18/2021
$3,500 Citi DC 10/14/2020 - 12/11/2021
$8,000 DCU Personal Loan 5-year 5.99% 10/2/2020 - 4/30/2021
$8,000 NFCU CashRewards 1/2/2021 - 7/30/2022
$5,000 MSGCU Personal Loan 3-year 7.75% 4/22/2022 - 10/30/2022
Ford Credit Car Loan 2-year 6/7/2021 - 6/22/2023
Message 5 of 8
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Putting the 4k on the 7k card and waiting 3 statements will probably help you more than hurt you. Discover likes those who carry big balances and often rewards them with bigger cli. That and your sl is actually on high end speaks well for you.
Message 6 of 8
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Discover is more than amicable to CLI increases even with a large balance (due to a 0 or BT)... but your gonna have to wait a bit... I was veering close (but not quite) to getting in the red zone on utilization and they came through to fix my utilization dilemma....

Message 7 of 8
MrPSS
Regular Contributor

Thank you all very much for the quick responses! Very helpful!

I think the consensus so far is that I should wait and I agree. It sounds like I’m on the right track to a larger CL based on my current course of action.

That said, feel free to continue to share your experiences on this. Smiley Happy
Current: Gardening...

FICO 8: EX:TU:EQ:

As of Aug 2020. Total CL: $46,600; Goal: $50,000
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.