Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Expat to US - AMEX application

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New Expat to US - AMEX application

Hi everyone,

New to the USA been here 1 month so I have a non existent credit file.

I've just got a social security number so now working to build up my credit rating.

I've been approved for:

- BOA Cash Rewards: $600

- Discover. it: $750

-  Capital one: $350

Terrible limits I know and I hate starting over but I'm here so time to start building. I was rejected by Chase and Target (Chase I understand but Target)!

I've applied for AMEX Everyday card as my final one then its time to start building and the steps have been unusual:

- Sunday 06/12/16 - application started

- Sunday Evening 06/12/2016 - Request for a paystub (I sent this immediately - I hope they notice that this is a bi-monthly amount!)

- Today 06/14/2016 - Request online for me to call to confim address (confirmed with staff member to avoid fraudulent activity someone applying on my behalf

- Today 06/14/2016 - Team member tried to rush application decision but still in review

- Current online application status - Please check back on this site in 24 hours

Does 'Please check back on this site in 24 hours' typically mean a decline is on the way - all other were instant decision but they are making me jump through hoops. I make in the region of 90k a year so not sure if this is a factor for the pay stub request?

Thanks!!

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: New Expat to US - AMEX application

I don't think you should infer right away that the message means a denial. Sometimes credit card companies need time to process your application, the additional documentation, etc. Also they might be trying to decide on a credit limit, and therefore the wait.

It looks to me like your chances are quite good - I doubt that AMEX will put you through all that verification only to deny you.

But I'd be interested to hear what others who have had a similar experience have to say on the matter.

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the response. I'm definetely in a unique situation being an expat. Just 1 month here so happy to receive the approvals I do have and something to work on. Fingers crossed on the AMEX though its definetely an interesting experience with them so far!

Message 3 of 13

Just let your new cards post to your credit report and keep your usage below 10% and you'll soon see that your score will go up big time. It's just a function of time if you have no baddies on your report.

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

What would be considered baddies? My first month with Bank of America posted at around 60% usage however I intend moving forward to be at 10% - this was simply down to moving costs as you can imagine it wasn't cheap!
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you have an Amex where you are originally from?

I did the global transfer and ended up with a great credit limit that has enabled me to get several other relatively good cards with good limits.
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

No I wasn't unfortunately I wish I had done that before I left now looking back on it!
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
What would be considered baddies? My first month with Bank of America posted at around 60% usage however I intend moving forward to be at 10% - this was simply down to moving costs as you can imagine it wasn't cheap!

Baddies would be stuff like late payments, bankruptcies, etc. High utilization doesn't count as a baddie - so it will only affect your credit score for that month, but if you decrease usage to 10% the next month, your score should recover immediately.

I think it's a great idea for you to let your existing cards report on-time payment for a few months (maybe even half a year) before trying again. You have a nice mix of cards there, and this way you will probably get larger credit lines on your new cards (especially an issue with Chase, given their anecdotal stinginess with CLI's).

Good luck!

Message 8 of 13
RonM21
Valued Contributor

As others said, let your cards grow, and get god reporting on them. Your scores will rise and open up other options fairly quickly.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the advice everyone. So that message started yesterday so if I dont hear anything sooner I will give them a call this afternoon to see if they can tell me anything.

As per everyones advice I will be making my payments on time and pretty much stopping applications there for the timebeing - my understanding is 3 months is the prime time to apply for increases. More than anything I want the NFL card I intend to buy tickets and use the pro store so this would be great for me but I understand its pretty tough to get being Barclaycard and no credit history.

Update coming later today!

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.